The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

A heads up for people who have booked Eden on the first night of their cruises: someone on one of my roll calls was called and they canceled their first night of the cruise Eden reservation. They said they were no longer offering it on the first night of each cruise. I looked at my other two, and sure enough, there was no Eden offered the first night. Not a big deal, I guess, but I wonder why?

I noticed that when making our reservation. So we put Eden in for the 2nd night, then went to Fine Cut and chose the 8:00 time. When I added it to my cart, for some reason it showed that we had two reservations for Eden on different nights. Then I had to start all over. :rolleyes: When I tried Fine Cut again, the 8:00 dining time showed no longer available, so we switched and are doing Eden that night, and Fine Cut the 2nd night.

This has been a problem for a long time with the website. Good luck but it may not happen re: Normandy and Cyprus.

Thanks! I guess I would not call it a "problem" unless we don't have the reservations once onboard. :DOr we get a call saying we cannot book those. Crossing fingers!

Sorry, but it still takes me to the Uk site. However, I have now be given access to my cruise planner - for July 2019! And it is on the .com site! But try any other link and it is back to .co.uk! Really annoying.

The good news is that through my cruise planner I now have access to details of all the dining venues and to sample menus!

Not sure how this board works but I have, hopefully, attached one sample menu this post.

If it works I will add others later.

Thanks, I am in the UK too and had the same problem. Any more menus that you can post would be welcome.

Grand Plaza Cafe:

enhance

enhance

From Celebrity:

"A new complimentary venue, Grand Plaza Café is perfect for a quick, satisfying savory or sweet snack on the go before or after you venture ashore. In the morning, it offers a variety of freshly baked French and Danish pastries. Later, stop by for an afternoon pick-me-up of mini sandwiches, such as the Roasted Turkey and Cranberry Ciabatta, and the Curry Grilled Chicken Wrap."

I am pleasantly surprised that they will have so many choices for a bite to eat on port days. One of our issues has always been the lack of choices to eat after going to shore - many times we would rather not do the buffet. We often want something light to tide us over until dinner, so a mini sandwich would be nice here or something from Eden Cafe (they will have salads, sandwiches and paninis)- we could grab something and bring it back to the stateroom balcony.

It's funny, but one of our guilty secrets is to have some gelato for lunch, if we aren't too hungry and plan on eating dinner early. Well, maybe we will have some healthy protein at the Grand Plaza or Eden and then have a gelato. ;)

Here's a list of dining times for some of the complimentary areas. It looks like Eden and Grand Plaza Cafe will be open until 2:30. There is always the Mast Grill, Spa & Juice Bar, Cafe al Bacio baked goods and the buffet, of course.

enhance

Grand Plaza Cafe:

enhance

enhance

From Celebrity:

"A new complimentary venue, Grand Plaza Café is perfect for a quick, satisfying savory or sweet snack on the go before or after you venture ashore. In the morning, it offers a variety of freshly baked French and Danish pastries. Later, stop by for an afternoon pick-me-up of mini sandwiches, such as the Roasted Turkey and Cranberry Ciabatta, and the Curry Grilled Chicken Wrap."

I am pleasantly surprised that they will have so many choices for a bite to eat on port days. One of our issues has always been the lack of choices to eat after going to shore - many times we would rather not do the buffet. We often want something light to tide us over until dinner, so a mini sandwich would be nice here or something from Eden Cafe (they will have salads, sandwiches and paninis)- we could grab something and bring it back to the stateroom balcony.

It's funny, but one of our guilty secrets is to have some gelato for lunch, if we aren't too hungry and plan on eating dinner early. Well, maybe we will have some healthy protein at the Grand Plaza or Eden and then have a gelato. ;)

Here's a list of dining times for some of the complimentary areas. It looks like Eden and Grand Plaza Cafe will be open until 2:30. There is always the Mast Grill, Spa & Juice Bar, Cafe al Bacio baked goods and the buffet, of course.

enhance

I like the furniture and overall look of the Grand Plaza Café but not thrilled with the colors. Just not a beige/neutral person I guess, but it does look great! The turkey and cranberry ciabatta has me salivating! Ready for one right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like Port Day lunch at most places ends at 2:30 pm ..too bad, the Grand Plaza Cafe menu is perfect for late day lite bites, .. Hope the 2 30 pm cut off does not include pizza and ice cream at the buffet.

If we get back late from an excursion that does not include lunch..we may have to do rm service or cookies at Cafe Baccio, or keep some stuff in our cabin...Not worried too much..no one starves on a Celebrity cruise!

Cafe Decor is basic but clean....so much like my College Cafe, years ago..! I find that alot of the " transformational " stuff is quite retro... recycle of ideas!

Vt, bring on that hippie van..it'd perk this place up!

I noticed you bolded Vermont cheddar in one of your posts!

Edited by hcat

Although this will be our first time aboard the Edge, it will not be our first time on a Celebrity ship. The food quality in the regular dining rooms is so much better than other cruise lines. So, with the exception of one or two nights, we will take advantage of the main dining room menu. I'm sure we will return to the Edge. At that time, we will try more of the specialty restaurants.

Looks like Port Day lunch at most places ends at 2:30 pm ..too bad, the Grand Plaza Cafe menu is perfect for late day lite bites, .. Hope the 2 30 pm cut off does not include pizza and ice cream at the buffet.

If we get back late from an excursion that does not include lunch..we may have to do rm service or cookies at Cafe Baccio, or keep some stuff in our cabin...Not worried too much..no one starves on a Celebrity cruise!

Cafe Decor is basic but clean....so much like my College Cafe, years ago..! I find that alot of the " transformational " stuff is quite retro... recycle of ideas!

Vt, bring on that hippie van..it'd perk this place up!

I noticed you bolded Vermont cheddar in one of your posts!

Yes, but if the VT cheddar is anything like the Blu Vermont "Maple" Syrup, it will be horrible - we bring our own pure VT maple syrup when we cruise.

I was going to say that the hippie van is looking pretty good now, huh? If I were on your cruise, I would sneak you up to the hippie bus so you could get a birthday picture with your rosy beige number and your DH's Tommy Bahama shirt. Now that would be a memorable picture! :D

I found Vermont hippie van t-shirts for the DH and I so we are all set to party on the bus! ;)

Van would be perfect backdrop for our outfits..Although it is for my birthday...my outfit reminds me of my wedding dress...gunnie sack with flowers in my hair! Hope you pist pics of the Hippie Van shirt..Any update on the van?

Hope they extend hrs at the Cafe on port days.. I thinking of bringing some baggies or small tupperware so we can store for a late day port or late night snack. We don't usualy do that but menu looks great and better than the usual.deli area at the buffet!

I hope that X takes into consideration that a lot of us will not even be getting off the ship, as most of us have all been to these ports before and are cruising Edge for Edge. Therefore, more dinning options should be open on Port days, especially the specialty restaurants. I would love to be in Costa Maya and have lunch on the MC, while on Deck 5 and part of Raw. I could see myself with a sea food tower while enjoying the view. Closing specialty restaurants on port days while so many of us will be staying on the ship is not only a lost in $$ for X but unfortunate for us. There are just so many dinning options, I need lunch on port days in speciality restaurants to try everything!

I hope that X takes into consideration that a lot of us will not even be getting off the ship, as most of us have all been to these ports before and are cruising Edge for Edge. Therefore, more dinning options should be open on Port days, especially the specialty restaurants. I would love to be in Costa Maya and have lunch on the MC, while on Deck 5 and part of Raw. I could see myself with a sea food tower while enjoying the view. Closing specialty restaurants on port days while so many of us will be staying on the ship is not only a lost in $$ for X but unfortunate for us. There are just so many dinning options, I need lunch on port days in speciality restaurants to try everything!

Good point!

Van would be perfect backdrop for our outfits..Although it is for my birthday...my outfit reminds me of my wedding dress...gunnie sack with flowers in my hair! Hope you pist pics of the Hippie Van shirt..Any update on the van?

Hope they extend hrs at the Cafe on port days.. I thinking of bringing some baggies or small tupperware so we can store for a late day port or late night snack. We don't usualy do that but menu looks great and better than the usual.deli area at the buffet!

I haven't heard anything more about the hippie van. I hope it wasn't an early draft of the Retreat that ended up in the waste basket. Oh well, I guess I can hang with the pendulum for some great pictures. ;) Actually that would look nice for your birthday picture! Wish I could be on your cruise to see you guys all dressed up. :D

I haven't heard anything more about the hippie van. I hope it wasn't an early draft of the Retreat that ended up in the waste basket. Oh well, I guess I can hang with the pendulum for some great pictures. ;) Actually that would look nice for your birthday picture! Wish I could be on your cruise to see you guys all dressed up. :D

After making good use of the Beverage Package, some of us may line up nicely with the angle of the pendulum :D

Re: Traditional Dining on Edge … if you chose this option with a set seating time, does that mean you can choose any of the four main dining restaurants on that evening? Last time we were on Celebrity we were in AquaClass so only dined at Blu … and since then, in the past few years we've mainly cruised Disney so have gotten used to rotational dining …

Re: Traditional Dining on Edge … if you chose this option with a set seating time, does that mean you can choose any of the four main dining restaurants on that evening? Last time we were on Celebrity we were in AquaClass so only dined at Blu … and since then, in the past few years we've mainly cruised Disney so have gotten used to rotational dining …

From what has been said, set dining will be assigned a specific dining room for their dinner meals. According to X’s site, you can attempt to eat at one of the other restaurants if they are available.

We are currently assigned to the early seating and I have been unable to change this time to anytime dining. We are on a waitlist to change so we can attempt to try all the main dining g restaurants as well as some of the specialty restaurants.

From what has been said, set dining will be assigned a specific dining room for their dinner meals. According to X’s site, you can attempt to eat at one of the other restaurants if they are available.

We are currently assigned to the early seating and I have been unable to change this time to anytime dining. We are on a waitlist to change so we can attempt to try all the main dining g restaurants as well as some of the specialty restaurants.

If that is the case, then will try to change it to anytime or once aboard will try to rotate our main dining options as have no interest in dining in the same restaurant every night when so many dining venue options are available …

If that is the case, then will try to change it to anytime or once aboard will try to rotate our main dining options as have no interest in dining in the same restaurant every night when so many dining venue options are available …

If you go back to the first post of this thread, it explains the way the MDRs work (Traditional and Select Dining). Good luck getting Select - if you don't get it before the cruise, you might want to head to the maitre d' in the MDRs as soon as you board and ask about it. :D

If you go back to the first post of this thread, it explains the way the MDRs work (Traditional and Select Dining). Good luck getting Select - if you don't get it before the cruise, you might want to head to the maitre d' in the MDRs as soon as you board and ask about it. :D

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, etravel said:

great info! Thanks..And also what to do about whether or not to purchase the specialty dining plan?? We are thinking about the 3 specialty dining package....for $109.00..seems like a good option too....what are thoughts on that as well?

That probably was a good idea. Present 20% sale today oct.19 now up to 137$ per person, three nights,

Vt..

On the " where's my cabin" thread you recently mentioned outside dining at the Steakhouse..  post 390

Can you map that or post info or pics,?

We are booked there one night but would prefer inside, I think.

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Vt..

On the " where's my cabin" thread you recently mentioned outside dining at the Steakhouse..  post 390

Can you map that or post info or pics,?

We are booked there one night but would prefer inside, I think.

There are 32 outside seats and 90 inside seats. I circled the outside area on the deck plan. The picture below it shows the outside area, I think. I put a red arrow in what I think is the doorway to the outside deck. If it is, it looks pretty well closed in, so not sure if that is the outside area.

It's funny, hcat, but I woke up early with the idea of starting a thread about all of the outside dining options on the Edge (as compared to other X ships) after seeing that that cabin overlooked the FCSH outside dining. :classic_smile:

image.thumb.png.252ecb3cf2677fc6f8ad4e9f96a2ac55.png

image.thumb.png.442c5d164957cc25689591d6e85ee00d.png

Another picture of the FCSH shows the Grand Plaza chandelier:

image.png.05fffffdb5ca0bc803d529bda0c02709.png

Private dining area in the FCSH with wine cellar:

image.png.f5d963324d1d15c52d635bba133b7925.png

image.thumb.png.159f65243bed5353c88351780e121cf9.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Thanks..,very helpful...maybe they will have a special lunch there on a Sea Day?

We'd sign up for that...those special lunches  usually have a  limited menu  but are really nice.,esp on a sea day.    We always look for them or ask our waiters  as they get credit for signing folks up...

Would also like a  special paired menu in the pvt dining room!

Our minds are in sync.,I thought an outdoor dining / bar thread would be timely and appreciated by many of us,

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but I have not been able to determine a few pieces of information.  I'm hoping someone may be able to answer the following:

1) Can you make reservations for lunch at the Rooftop Garden Grill?  I haven't been able to figure out how to do so on my cruise planner (only dinner times are available).  Our cruise only has one sea day so I imagine this restaurant will fill up quickly for lunch.

2) Is a brunch going to be offered at Eden?  I thought I read this somewhere but perhaps this has changed.  Does anyone have any information on this?  Can you reserve this prior to your cruise?

3) I understand that there are two menus offered for Le Petit Chef - one main menu that matches the animation, and a second option that won't go along with the show on your plate.  Does anyone know if you can select items from both menus?  For example, I can't eat shellfish so would need to order my first course from menu #2, but I would prefer my third course to be the filet mignon from menu #1. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Thanks in advance for any insight!