The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

I read on a main board thread that they had talked to staff on another ship and reportedly were told that Le Petit Chef on the Edge they would have two different menus with animation. I'm not sure if they could do different menus at each table or will offer different menus on different nights. I hope it is true so that there are more options for people who wish to try it.

That would be great...either way it'll be a fun experience!!!

We're the week before you, I have 24 in my group, all ladies ( all friends from all over the country!), 14 of us are on our 'Third Annual Girls Cruise'! One of the girls husband and his sister are flying down to do your cruise, they have two of the S1's :cool:

When my girlfriend and I travel together I usually can 'hook up' with others from cc boards to dine, one of the girls in our group I met on our Eclipse sailing last summer, another we met on Equinox the year before...and that's why cruise critic is so wonderful!!!

Sounds like alot of fun..,great ship, group of friends...can't miss!

Quick Question - our sailing is not until 24 November 2018, Thanksgiving, is it advisable to go ahead and start booking dining reservations now, do you think?

I have 21 people to co-ordinate to some degree... in lieu of having people link reservations to others, I Am thinking of having everyone make a dinner reservation around the same time they want to eat with others in any dining room and letting the Maitre d' know upon arrival that they wish to eat with each other with tables of eight (8) max.

Think this will work?

Then figure out something for Thanksgiving Day in a Specialty Dining area. Any suggestions at this juncture?

TIA and bon voyage

Quick Question - our sailing is not until 24 November 2018, Thanksgiving, is it advisable to go ahead and start booking dining reservations now, do you think?

I have 21 people to co-ordinate to some degree... in lieu of having people link reservations to others, I Am thinking of having everyone make a dinner reservation around the same time they want to eat with others in any dining room and letting the Maitre d' know upon arrival that they wish to eat with each other with tables of eight (8) max.

Think this will work?

Then figure out something for Thanksgiving Day in a Specialty Dining area. Any suggestions at this juncture?

TIA and bon voyage

So here's my two cents, especially since I booked my group of 22 for all dining nites for Jan cruise...if they all book separately table sizes will be an issue and I'd worry about Thanksgiving week being really busy!

Assuming you're in Select dining, you'll need to make reservations and 'link' the different booking numbers to seat together...I did this when dining first opened in March, was able to book my 8 top but then when I went to book the other two 8 tops the same time wasn't available...now I've had a couple cancellations and re-bookings and am unable to get any groups of more than 4 earlier than 8pm...They have limited tables for 8 and they explained to me that they're not near each other so even if you get everyone booked they might not be near each other...I figure we can 'switch tables' from nite to nite!

And, I wasn't able to book Le Grand Bistro/Le Petit Chef because they have VERY limited seating for large groups in that venue, or so they said!!! ;p

So here's my two cents, especially since I booked my group of 22 for all dining nites for Jan cruise...if they all book separately table sizes will be an issue and I'd worry about Thanksgiving week being really busy!

Assuming you're in Select dining, you'll need to make reservations and 'link' the different booking numbers to seat together...I did this when dining first opened in March, was able to book my 8 top but then when I went to book the other two 8 tops the same time wasn't available...now I've had a couple cancellations and re-bookings and am unable to get any groups of more than 4 earlier than 8pm...They have limited tables for 8 and they explained to me that they're not near each other so even if you get everyone booked they might not be near each other...I figure we can 'switch tables' from nite to nite!

And, I wasn't able to book Le Grand Bistro/Le Petit Chef because they have VERY limited seating for large groups in that venue, or so they said!!! ;p

I knew you would come through for Bo, being the “TA” for your large group of women! [emoji2]

I knew you would come through for Bo, being the “TA” for your large group of women! [emoji2]

haha, well...I do this at home too!

Organize events and fundraisers for a group of friends, some of whom are joining us in Jan!!! :cool:

j - Thank you for the input, please comment about the following idea:

I let everyone know that tables of six (6) is the usual and possibly eight (8). If each group/person knows which restaurant they want to be in, I can let them know to use the reservation number to make the reservation of the people they want to eat with?

There are some who like to eat right at 5.30p and others as late as 7.30p.

I will publish the reservation numbers for each cabin and time frame each cabin likes to eat and the restaurant they want to try on any given night... then have them make the requisite reservations?

Then when they mess it up, I can run around with spread sheet on embarkation day to get things corrected then go for cocktails right after and smile!

Thank you so much for your input on this, much appreciated.

bon voyage

j - Thank you for the input, please comment about the following idea:

I let everyone know that tables of six (6) is the usual and possibly eight (8). If each group/person knows which restaurant they want to be in, I can let them know to use the reservation number to make the reservation of the people they want to eat with?

There are some who like to eat right at 5.30p and others as late as 7.30p.

I will publish the reservation numbers for each cabin and time frame each cabin likes to eat and the restaurant they want to try on any given night... then have them make the requisite reservations?

Then when they mess it up, I can run around with spread sheet on embarkation day to get things corrected then go for cocktails right after and smile!

Thank you so much for your input on this, much appreciated.

bon voyage

You might want to check availability, start with what you are interested in.

I did our dining reservations March 1 and at that time was able to get my table for 8 at 6:30. Then when I went to do the others all I could get was 6 pm but since then have had some changes to those going so two weeks ago when I went in to update most nites I could only get 6 in for 6 or 7, there's still 4 people who aren't assigned because when I tried to add them the options were 8 or later.

We're sailing Jan 20, you're going Thanksgiving, right? Might be less available...

However, I did ask and (although whatever the reps tell us isn't gospel cuz they have limited knowledge) sometimes they only let a certain number book in advance online.

Right now everything is a 'crap shoot'...just saying that you are going on a very popular and busy week so people have probably been booking for months what you're proposing...so, here's what my thoughts are for my group:

I booked most everyone into 3 tables of 6, hoping that as soon as I board I might be able to add two onto two of those tables to make 8 tops...fingers crossed!

And I thought that since everyone knows everyone they can switch from nite to nite and whomever they're lined up with to check in for dining they can eat with that nite...Select dining would be flexible that way, or I can change table assignments once we board...

Time will tell....;p

Hope that works out but each waiter and assistant have a certain number of guests to attend to in their section so .that might foul things up for the staff and your guests if you try to add extras at the last minute,

I doubt you and your guests would be anything but discreet but here's a " cruise story" we won't ever forget,:

We once were assigned ( fixed seating) to a table of 8....great location.

On the first night we were there and seated on time, along with another couple we had never met, and no one else appeared for awhile,. All of a sudden 10 or more folks showed up to our table for 8... obviously not all assigned to the table.

As our appetizer orders should have been taken...the organizer of the group was parceling out her people to other spots at adjacent tables and insistent upon bringing over extra chairs making things quite tight at our table. Chaos ensued with alot of folks standing around over us, for longer than it should have as we tried to eat our salads. The waiter was flustered , The maitre d got involved...still no food orders, still a spectacle,

I decided to try to end the scene, so I asked the other non involved couple if they would care to be our tablemates for the cruise at a smaller table if the maitre d could work this outl They agreed, The maitre d rewarded us with an even better table and lavish service throughout our cruise The other couple were great tablemates , and we were very glad we escaped. the herd.

Best advice,,,keep the tables you have...don't try to add more people. Just book an overflow table for an available time and folks can take turns with those on various nights, Working things out ahead by visiting the dining room might also work out with bigger tables. Or try yo contact the dining services e mail person......Leaving it to chance might be a bigger headache than anticipated, for you and others.

Glad we are assigned to BLU where larger tables are kept to a minimum...less stress!

hcat,

That sounds like a mess and very annoying.

I've been booking 'Select dining' (or whatever it's called on other lines) for over 10 years. As soon as I board the ship (usually before lunch) I hit the dining area to make sure our reservations are what we want, or at least to try.

I would never NEVER try to add diners to a table at meal time...that's just WRONG!

In select dining, since table assignments tend to vary from nite to nite, once we get our table and table mates lined up we're usually set for the entire cruise, except for specialty dining nites.

So, fingers crossed this will work...I tried to go on and get a table for those who are not assigned yet but all that's available at this time is 8pm which is waaay too late for all of us.

I do remember when I sailed on Quantum a couple years ago they also had multiple MDR's, we worked and planned and worked and planned and organized our dining but when we boarded the ship I guess everyone changed their minds, we could just walk right into the dining rooms at 6:30-7 and be seated at 6-8 tops right away!

Will see how this plans out...thankfully I'm doing the Preview Cruise in Dec so I can 'scope it out' then!!! ;)

You might want to check availability, start with what you are interested in.

I did our dining reservations March 1 and at that time was able to get my table for 8 at 6:30. Then when I went to do the others all I could get was 6 pm but since then have had some changes to those going so two weeks ago when I went in to update most nites I could only get 6 in for 6 or 7, there's still 4 people who aren't assigned because when I tried to add them the options were 8 or later.

We're sailing Jan 20, you're going Thanksgiving, right? Might be less available...

However, I did ask and (although whatever the reps tell us isn't gospel cuz they have limited knowledge) sometimes they only let a certain number book in advance online.

Right now everything is a 'crap shoot'...just saying that you are going on a very popular and busy week so people have probably been booking for months what you're proposing...so, here's what my thoughts are for my group:

I booked most everyone into 3 tables of 6, hoping that as soon as I board I might be able to add two onto two of those tables to make 8 tops...fingers crossed!

And I thought that since everyone knows everyone they can switch from nite to nite and whomever they're lined up with to check in for dining they can eat with that nite...Select dining would be flexible that way, or I can change table assignments once we board...

Time will tell....;p

Thanks for the input...

One additional quick question, you make everyone's reservation through their X portal or is there another way to do it without having each cabins login info? I Am afraid the answer may be that I need each reservation login info to make the reservations in advance.

Thank you again and bon voyage

Thanks for the input...

One additional quick question, you make everyone's reservation through their X portal or is there another way to do it without having each cabins login info? I Am afraid the answer may be that I need each reservation login info to make the reservations in advance.

Thank you again and bon voyage

Bo, yes, you need their booking #

You can go into one persons reservation then link the others by adding them during the reservation process. It's time consuming as you have to do every single day on it's own :rolleyes: but you go into one, add the others (in their cruise planner) then after you've selected all parties for that table it'll tell you what's available, which is frustrating when you get to that point and then the only time available isn't workable with what you want!!!:(

For those with questions about Edge dining (or other issues) that can't be answered here, below are some email addresses that may help. I have had good results recently with Ivana and One Touch, but haven't used the specialty dining email address recently.

CelebrityOneTouch@celebrity.com Celebrity Pre-Cruise Questions/Issues (already booked)

ivrhovec@rccl.com Ivana, Administrator Edge|Restaurant Operations

specialtyrestaurant@celebrity.com Celebrity Specialty Dining

Hello,

I booked a four night specialty dinner package, still confused on how we choose what places we want to eat at.

What about the reservations, can they only be made after boarding?

Thank you.

If you have a dining package you need to book when you get onboard. My recommendation is to make a list of restaurants you wish to do and desired dates and times and head to a specialty dining reservation table soon after you board to be able to book what you want. They have a table outside of the Oceanview Cafe usually and sometimes next to the boarding area. The earlier you book, the better the chance of getting what you want. You can swap them around later in the cruise, if needed, if times are available.

If you pre-book and pay the full price you can choose the times ahead of time. The dining packages are a good deal, but you may have to be a bit more flexible. Hopefully, you will have no trouble getting what you want (and will have saved some $$). :D

For those doing all this arranging for their groups...bless you!

If others are professionals...you must be great at stress managrment!

Over the years I have kept many roll calls (without spreadsheets) and excursion lists , and have organizied sailaways, onboard get togethers etc...I know it isn't easy..Takes great organizational skills and patience!

Kudis to those who take this on!

For those doing all this arranging for their groups...bless you!

If others are professionals...you must be great at stress managrment!

Over the years I have kept many roll calls (without spreadsheets) and excursion lists , and have organizied sailaways, onboard get togethers etc...I know it isn't easy..Takes great organizational skills and patience!

Kudis to those who take this on!

I agree! A thankless job!

I have been the mother hen for up to 8 people and it sometimes feels like the success of the cruise rests on me, which adds some stress to my cruise (and high praise and appreciation, if it goes well!). We don't sail with that group of friends anymore, unfortunately mostly because of their health issues, but I have arranged excursions and dinners on roll calls - it's fun to arrange and nice to have control so that you get the experience that you want, but still a lot of responsibility. I have the greatest respect for Bo and J18 for being the leader of large groups! You need to be well-organized and unflappable, qualities which both seem to exhibit. :D

I guess I was the lone wolf at being able to purchase a package of dinners and book restaurants for six of us who also bought the 3 dinner packages. I am the only one of us in a suite, so I guess I lucked out on restaurants and times. I also have hard copies too, but will check when I board to be sure.

It is difficult to be in charge of a large group and everything, so I wish you luck at putting all of this together. Remember, it is your vacation too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been the mother hen for up to 8 people and it sometimes feels like the success of the cruise rests on me, which adds some stress to my cruise (and high praise and appreciation, if it goes well!). We don't sail with that group of friends anymore, unfortunately mostly because of their health issues, but I have arranged excursions and dinners on roll calls - it's fun to arrange and nice to have control so that you get the experience that you want, but still a lot of responsibility. I have the greatest respect for Bo and J18 for being the leader of large groups! You need to be well-organized and unflappable, qualities which both seem to exhibit. :D

LOL, thank you v - did I ever tell everyone I do have a temper from time to time???

And I do have a wide variety of 'personalities' to deal with on this sailing for sure...

If you read here on CC about a man who jumped from the MC, you know it could be!

Still trying to figure out the spread sheet and wondering if everyone should be in the same dining room each night, just different tables or rotate both.. I Am planning for two (2) free dining nights, where everyone can decide what they want to do on their own... a/k/a downtime!

bon voyage

LOL, thank you v - did I ever tell everyone I do have a temper from time to time???

And I do have a wide variety of 'personalities' to deal with on this sailing for sure...

If you read here on CC about a man who jumped from the MC, you know it could be!

Still trying to figure out the spread sheet and wondering if everyone should be in the same dining room each night, just different tables or rotate both.. I Am planning for two (2) free dining nights, where everyone can decide what they want to do on their own... a/k/a downtime!

bon voyage

You probably won't be the first to be tempted to jump off the MC. When the group drives you over the edge (pun intended :D), just have another glass of wine or go to the gym for some hot yoga....

Gym and cocktails, sound like a better option than the MC idea... LOL

Thank you for reminding me.

bon voyage

Thankfully all of this group are my friends and 14 of us are on our 4th year...we have a lot of fun (so many people have come up to us on other ships and asked to join our group)...as long as I have the drink pkg I'm good to go!

And I always find the stress is in organizing the details, after that it's up to the universe!!! :halo:

Question about the Dining Package (3 dinners): I signed up online for the 3 dinner package at $109/pp. I understand that the first night we will be assigned a speciality restaurant and can chose the next time locations and time. My question is if we are "assigned" to Raw In 5 do we have to take that location the first night? The reason I ask about Raw On 5 is that I am very allergic to most seafood and will be wasting my time and money there. I would prefer going to Fine Cut.

Thanks for your responses.

Bill

Question about the Dining Package (3 dinners): I signed up online for the 3 dinner package at $109/pp. I understand that the first night we will be assigned a speciality restaurant and can chose the next time locations and time. My question is if we are "assigned" to Raw In 5 do we have to take that location the first night? The reason I ask about Raw On 5 is that I am very allergic to most seafood and will be wasting my time and money there. I would prefer going to Fine Cut.

Thanks for your responses.

Bill

No, you don't. I would make a list of what you want for dining - restaurants, dates and times. Soon after you board, head to a specialty restaurant or outside the Oceanview Café (buffet). They will be booking reservations in those places and you can hand them the list. You will usually get what you want, though may have to be flexible with times. First come, first served! :D