The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

Because we usually are in AQ Classc with BLU, we have never booked a dining package. It seems to limit advance selection and you have to pick from available times, We prefer to have our res in advance.

We usually book 2 /3 Specialty Dining venues in advance, and have been able to get a 15% Elite + discount applied from the letter we find in our stateroom. Usually, they credit back what we pre paid and then re book us at the reduced rate. Takes very little time and effort. Of course we are not sure this 15% discount perk will be in effect on EDGE, but we are happy with our res times and pricing,

As a warning to others, we did have issues with the discount once, in Tuscan on Infinity, Pacific Coastal. The maitre d said he didn't believe us about the discount, despite showing him the letter, & he made many obvious loud phone calls about it.,,..and basically ruined our experience there. He finally relented but it got messed up anyhow because we were in Port that night in San Francisco, so a sales tax was applied to the re booking, which we were never told about. We had a great response from Guest Relations which resolved issues to our satisfaction....But we did cancel our other specialty dining res to avoid any similar nonsense.

I would re-check everything after final payment, a lot of people have deposits down and at final payment there will be a lot of shuffling/.change of plans.

And if that doesn't work, like vtcruising said, immediately upon boarding go to the dining room/maître d' and request whatever you want.

They usually do save a percentage of reservations for everything for those that board, believe it or not there are lots of people out there who don't do anything in advance or on the internet!:cool:

Great idea!

All thank you for your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated! We should be on the Select Waitlist and I will send an email to verify.

Our plans were to immediately get on board and try to work things out with the maitre’d. Also found out there is now a group of 10-12 friends sailing on this trip (originally only one other couple) so this may further complicate things if we all try to eat dinner together some nights. I think many of this group prefer buffets so.........

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All thank you for your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated! We should be on the Select Waitlist and I will send an email to verify.

Our plans were to immediately get on board and try to work things out with the maitre’d. Also found out there is now a group of 10-12 friends sailing on this trip (originally only one other couple) so this may further complicate things if we all try to eat dinner together some nights. I think many of this group prefer buffets so.........

I had a possible food poisoning at a cruise ship buffet several years ago so I understand how you feel, but we do occasionally go to the buffet on X. I stick to the lower risk items- they grill steak, chicken and fish, which are great and do the salad bar (most items seem safe). Maybe you will feel like trying the buffet again with your friends. [emoji2]

Hope you are able to work this out...most likely you can.

But dinner for that many people at one table would be quite unwieldy unless done in the buffet area....and difficult to arrange with select dining....

We usually take a night off from regular dining and go to the buffet...we eat a light meal and are careful to get freshly prepared items. But self service at the buffet every night would not work fof us...too many other goodies in BLU and other dining venues.

Hope you are able to work this out...most likely you can.

But dinner for that many people at one table would be quite unwieldy unless done in the buffet area....and difficult to arrange with select dining....

We usually take a night off from regular dining and go to the buffet...we eat a light meal and are careful to get freshly prepared items. But self service at the buffet every night would not work fof us...too many other goodies in BLU and other dining venues.

I seriously doubt we would all do dinner together. Did a family cruise a few years back and the 6 of us were sat with another group of 6 and we had the best time!

More worried about the two of us having options to eat as other half is almost a vegetarian and I am currently recovering from a total gastrectomy and am in the process of learning how to eat again following surgery on 8/1. This has been my 6th hospitalization/surgery since 8/23/17and I’m finally starting to feel like fantasizing regarding this much needed trip!

I had a possible food poisoning at a cruise ship buffet several years ago so I understand how you feel, but we do occasionally go to the buffet on X. I stick to the lower risk items- they grill steak, chicken and fish, which are great and do the salad bar (most items seem safe). Maybe you will feel like trying the buffet again with your friends. [emoji2]

My experience with food poisoning wasn’t on a cruise ship but put me in the hospital for almost 10 days and lost almost 75 pounds during that time. So just terrified of going through all that again. We have eaten carefully off of buffets on cruises in the past, but we both prefer the dining experience in the MDR or a specialty restaurant.

I seriously doubt we would all do dinner together. Did a family cruise a few years back and the 6 of us were sat with another group of 6 and we had the best time!

More worried about the two of us having options to eat as other half is almost a vegetarian and I am currently recovering from a total gastrectomy and am in the process of learning how to eat again following surgery on 8/1. This has been my 6th hospitalization/surgery since 8/23/17and I’m finally starting to feel like fantasizing regarding this much needed trip!

This will be a special cruise for you. When you contact the dining person I would mention your health situation as it sounds like it is very important that you have certainty for dining...I think they will accomodate you. Also can contact Special Needs dept..

My experience with food poisoning wasn’t on a cruise ship but put me in the hospital for almost 10 days and lost almost 75 pounds during that time. So just terrified of going through all that again. We have eaten carefully off of buffets on cruises in the past, but we both prefer the dining experience in the MDR or a specialty restaurant.

Me too! You deserve to have a wonderful dining experience after all you have gone through. I hope you continue to recover and have a great cruise! :D

I just purchased 5 night specialty dining package for my cruise in February. How does it work? When can I book what restaurants I want?

You will need to book onboard. I recommend going to the booking table outside of the Ocean View Cafe as soon as you board with a list of restaurants, dates and times. The sooner you book, the better your chance of getting what you want. They also sometimes have a table set up in the area where you board for specialty dining. Sounds like you will be eating well!:D

You will need to book onboard. I recommend going to the booking table outside of the Ocean View Cafe as soon as you board with a list of restaurants, dates and times. The sooner you book, the better your chance of getting what you want. They also sometimes have a table set up in the area where you board for specialty dining. Sounds like you will be eating well!:D

So I can't book it on line before the cruise? Then, what's the advantage? I'm in a S2 Sky Suite. Chances are by the time I board everything will be gone ... Maybe I should cancel.

So I can't book it on line before the cruise? Then, what's the advantage? I'm in a S2 Sky Suite. Chances are by the time I board everything will be gone ... Maybe I should cancel.

The advantage is the price you paid. I have booked mine separately and have paid full price, but have a reservation. They don’t sell out all of the reservations before the cruise. It is my understanding that they leave some in each time slot for packages and onboard reservations. The better times may go fast so that’s why I would recommend doing the bookings as soon as you board. I did that for a cruise last fall and got every reservation I asked for. Hopefully you will get the reservations you want and save some $$$. 😃

T...T...

Have to do the math...how much was saved versus how much for sep .pre booking at specialty restaurants, which come with a res.

Some folks think it's not worth it ..depends how flexible you can be with dining times and choices..

Like vtcruising, I too pre-booked the Specialty Restaurants for the venues, dates and times I wanted. I used a $300 OBC so my out of pocket cost was $30 for Eden, Rooftop Grill and the Petit Chef.

It’s a personal decision, but I did not want to risk being shut out of the restaurants I prefer and stuck with others I don’t want to go to.

Like vtcruising, I too pre-booked the Specialty Restaurants for the venues, dates and times I wanted. I used a $300 OBC so my out of pocket cost was $30 for Eden, Rooftop Grill and the Petit Chef.

It’s a personal decision, but I did not want to risk being shut out of the restaurants I prefer and stuck with others I don’t want to go to.

Maybe I'll cancel it and book them separately. Even though I'm in a suite, it still is the poor cousin of suites.

If Edge follows the other ships, we do book prior to boarding and when the bill comes they will apply your discount so you don't lose that "perk". Just for your information. Now, who knows what they will do with this ship but they are all one brand and I would hope they honor our status. After all, not much has changed in the levels of the CC in years.

Pat C

I have gone ahead and set up specialty dining alternating between the 4 options. I think we will stick with the complementary dining on this initial cruise. Perhaps, if we can afford to sail her again, we will try specialty restaurants on another sailing. Performance art while eating... be it mimes or projections on the table top are kinda cool, but I think this first go around I want to focus on the food itself and the environment. The main dining options look fabulous. I would like trying drinks on MC, if that is available. Oh and the Ocean view on S Class ships has always been terrific, so that is another must try spot... along with the Eden for lunch. I wonder if we will even get off the ship. It would be nice if they allowed a tour of the Retreat on day one... just to let us poor folk know what we are missing... might be worth saving up for.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Great info..thanks

We will probably stick with BLU and the Specialty dining we already booked for our Jan cruise...

We,ll try all 4 of the MDRs in Nov...but good yo.know we could try one even if we are in AQ..

Best news is the Bistro for lunch...great menu! Wonder if we can make ressies?

DH and I booked two Specialty Restaurants for our cruise...Eden and Fine Cut Steakhouse. Even though we are in Blu with Aqua Class, I noticed that we had the opportunity to book into the Complimentary dining rooms. The system let me book Normandy and Cyprus w/times. We shall see if those stick. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685 I did received a confirmation for all reservations.clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

DH and I booked two Specialty Restaurants for our cruise...Eden and Fine Cut Steakhouse. Even though we are in Blu with Aqua Class, I noticed that we had the opportunity to book into the Complimentary dining rooms. The system let me book Normandy and Cyprus w/times. We shall see if those stick. ;) I did received a confirmation for all reservations.:D

This has been a problem for a long time with the website. Good luck but it may not happen re: Normandy and Cyprus.