The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

No, you don't. I would make a list of what you want for dining - restaurants, dates and times. Soon after you board, head to a specialty restaurant or outside the Oceanview Café (buffet). They will be booking reservations in those places and you can hand them the list. You will usually get what you want, though may have to be flexible with times. First come, first served! :D

VTcruising, thanks for your response. I will absolutely take your advice and head straight to a speciality restaurant to make any changes.

Bill

VTcruising, thanks for your response. I will absolutely take your advice and head straight to a speciality restaurant to make any changes.

Bill

We had a dining package last fall, were some of the first people to board and likely one of the first to arrive outside the Oceanview Cafe where the specialty dining table was set up. We handed the guy there our list and about five minutes later he had canceled the first one and booked everything we wanted at the times wanted.

Of course, then we had to go into the Oceanview to make sure our Premium Beverage Packages were working and then had to have some yummy food because we couldn't drink on an empty stomach. It's good to have a plan..... ;)

We had a dining package last fall, were some of the first people to board and likely one of the first to arrive outside the Oceanview Cafe where the specialty dining table was set up. We handed the guy there our list and about five minutes later he had canceled the first one and booked everything we wanted at the times wanted.

Of course, then we had to go into the Oceanview to make sure our Premium Beverage Packages were working and then had to have some yummy food because we couldn't drink on an empty stomach. It's good to have a plan..... ;)

I like your kind of thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thankfully all of this group are my friends and 14 of us are on our 4th year...we have a lot of fun (so many people have come up to us on other ships and asked to join our group)...as long as I have the drink pkg I'm good to go!

And I always find the stress is in organizing the details, after that it's up to the universe!!! :halo:

I would like to report back that organizing this group for 'evening' dining is, so far, a breeze!

Sent out the email asking about preferred dining times and what venue for Thanksgiving.. out of 22, 11 said whatever I put together will work for them on all fronts..

Two (2) do not want any buffet included (easy to accommodate) and two (2) have early dining request (easy to accommodate).

Just waiting for eight (8) others reservation numbers so I can start the booking process. Already have the spread sheet started and have taken out six (6) whom I know did not book yet... easy enough to add them later.

Thank you j and all others with your input on this...

bon voyage

I would like to report back that organizing this group for 'evening' dining is, so far, a breeze!

Sent out the email asking about preferred dining times and what venue for Thanksgiving.. out of 22, 11 said whatever I put together will work for them on all fronts..

Two (2) do not want any buffet included (easy to accommodate) and two (2) have early dining request (easy to accommodate).

Just waiting for eight (8) others reservation numbers so I can start the booking process. Already have the spread sheet started and have taken out six (6) whom I know did not book yet... easy enough to add them later.

Thank you j and all others with your input on this...

bon voyage

Best of luck!

We are on the Edge for 2/3 and booked the 4 night specialty dining. However, the first night is Superbowl night so I am hoping to watch that and not have to dine in a specialty dining venue. Actually our cruise is just 7 nights and I am thinking I may not get to use all my specialty dining selection especially if all tables are booked. Guess I will have to see what happens. Anyone know about Superbowl night party on board?

We are on the Edge for 2/3 and booked the 4 night specialty dining. However, the first night is Superbowl night so I am hoping to watch that and not have to dine in a specialty dining venue. Actually our cruise is just 7 nights and I am thinking I may not get to use all my specialty dining selection especially if all tables are booked. Guess I will have to see what happens. Anyone know about Superbowl night party on board?

It will be first time Super Bowl will be played as The Edge sails...

No experience yet. Let us know how you like it upon your return.

bon voyage

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they raised the prices of the dining packages at least for our voyage. The 3 night still shows from $109 on the first screen, but it ends up being $137 in your cart. Not much of a discount at this price. The 4 night is now $165.

Looks like they raised the prices of the dining packages at least for our voyage. The 3 night still shows from $109 on the first screen, but it ends up being $137 in your cart. Not much of a discount at this price. The 4 night is now $165.

Interesting... I did a dummy booking on an Edge cruise and had the same thing happen - showed $125 for 4 nights and when in cart, it was $165. I checked another non-Edge cruise and it stayed $125. I wondered if they would increase the Edge package prices since some of the specialty restaurant prices are higher than the other ships (namely the Steakhouse and Eden). When I queried Celebrity, they said that Le Petit Chef wouldn't be included in the Edge dining packages, though would be on other ships (likely kept it in the packages on the other ships because many purchased them thinking they were getting Qsine or because there are less choices without Qsine). Maybe they will now cover it on the Edge with this price increase.

I'll bet they are in the process of changing it and it may not be finalized. I would call Celebrity or Captain's Club and let them know about the discrepancy on the website and see if you can get a dining package at the lower price. If you call them, please come back and let us know what happened! :D

I tried to book Le Gran Bistro for Day 1, which is a Sunday, but it wasn't shown as available. I was disappointed, since my husband's favorite meal is the Plat du Jour for Sunday (Beef Shortribs). Perhaps because we're on an early 3-day cruise, or perhaps because it's an embarkation day? He also likes Rack of Lamb (Tuesday's Plat Du Jour), so I might choose that. I know he'll be happy with either choice.

I tried to book Le Gran Bistro for Day 1, which is a Sunday, but it wasn't shown as available. I was disappointed, since my husband's favorite meal is the Plat du Jour for Sunday (Beef Shortribs). Perhaps because we're on an early 3-day cruise, or perhaps because it's an embarkation day? He also likes Rack of Lamb (Tuesday's Plat Du Jour), so I might choose that. I know he'll be happy with either choice.

It's because Le Grand Bistro is only doing Le Petit Chef every night now. We can't book for lunch in Le Grand Bistro, but hopefully that menu will be available for lunch. It remains to be seen. It will be disappointing if that or a similar menu isn't available for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
etravel, I think Celebrity chooses your MDR if you have if you have the early or late seating--but not your specialty restaurants. We have the Select Dining option, so I can choose and book our MDRs now. :)

I'm curious what specialty restaurants people are wanting to book and why? I want to eat at Raw on 5 as well (on the MC if possible), but I'm thinking that might be a nice place to stop by for lunch without a res and pay a la carte.

We booked Fine Cut twice, Eden, and Rooftop Grill, all for dinner. DBoyfriend likes meat, I love the menu and performance concept of Eden, and it just seemed fun to do a sunset BBQ. We sail 2/3/19. Can’t wait to read all the earlier reviews of specialty dining and all else!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's because Le Grand Bistro is only doing Le Petit Chef every night now. We can't book for lunch in Le Grand Bistro, but hopefully that menu will be available for lunch. It remains to be seen. It will be disappointing if that or a similar menu isn't available for lunch.

This was disappointing to hear Le P Chef has taken over at dinner every night.. The original posted menu has several great daily offerings...now just for lunch apparently...unless they scrap it altogether. We used to go to Bistro on 5 quite a bit for lunch/ brunch.... it was much better than the buffet and less hectic than MDR.

This was disappointing to hear Le P Chef has taken over at dinner every night.. The original posted menu has several great daily offerings...now just for lunch apparently...unless they scrap it altogether. We used to go to Bistro on 5 quite a bit for lunch/ brunch.... it was much better than the buffet and less hectic than MDR.

Though I wasn’t impressed with the food in Bistro on 5, I agree with you about Le Grand Bistro. The menu looks great, and we intend to fully explore their lunch offerings:D

Here is the latest LPC menu with drink and wine menu. As most know, they recommend the 1st menu as that goes along with the animation. The other menu can be ordered, but won't go along with the show next to your plate. I have had it from 2 sources that it won't be included in the dining packages on the Edge. You can pre-book - there are 2 seatings/night. $55PP - we'll see if they have discounts onboard, but my guess is that it will be sold out at first.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Le_Petit_Chef_Menu_Final.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The previously posted Le Grand Bistro menu is now gone from the Celebrity Website. I really hope the previously posted menu is used for lunch. There was a lot of great options, and I think it would be a great lunch time option. We also loved Bistro on the 5 and would eat there almost every day.

The previously posted Le Grand Bistro menu is now gone from the Celebrity Website. I really hope the previously posted menu is used for lunch. There was a lot of great options, and I think it would be a great lunch time option. We also loved Bistro on the 5 and would eat there almost every day.

I noticed that last week when I was checking on other menus. I wouldn't be surprised if it is gone and they maybe will just serve cheese, baguettes, pastries, etc. until dinner when it becomes LPC. :(. Oh well, it did sound like a good menu, but I guess we won't starve! ;)

Helpful post by OP and others. TY!

Disappointed that several fav dishes from Murano are gone, and a couple of offerings from the Porch and Lawn Club Grill are gone. The specialty Bistro menu is a disappointment...

Edited by Fogfog

I noticed that last week when I was checking on other menus. I wouldn't be surprised if it is gone and they maybe will just serve cheese, baguettes, pastries, etc. until dinner when it becomes LPC. :(. Oh well, it did sound like a good menu, but I guess we won't starve! ;)

Oh no! I missed this. We were so looking forward to going there for lunch a few times:( I do hope they’ll restore that menu.

This 4 main dining room concept is brilliant. NCL has done something similar on their Breakaway class ships with one large main restaurant and 2 smaller free dining rooms. The smaller rooms are just so much more intimate. You dont have to scream to talk to your table mates as the noise levels are negligible. On NCL the small dining rooms have an identical menu to the main dining room. Celebrity is taking it a step further by making each complimentary dining room have unique options.

I do wonder what effect it is going to have on their specialty restaurant attendance? If you have the ability to change up your free options every 4 nights I may be less likely to spend the extra cash. But I do love this dining concept and I think a cruise on edge is in our future.

This 4 main dining room concept is brilliant. NCL has done something similar on their Breakaway class ships with one large main restaurant and 2 smaller free dining rooms. The smaller rooms are just so much more intimate. You dont have to scream to talk to your table mates as the noise levels are negligible. On NCL the small dining rooms have an identical menu to the main dining room. Celebrity is taking it a step further by making each complimentary dining room have unique options.

I do wonder what effect it is going to have on their specialty restaurant attendance? If you have the ability to change up your free options every 4 nights I may be less likely to spend the extra cash. But I do love this dining concept and I think a cruise on edge is in our future.

I remember years ago when Princess offered the same concept on the Diamond and Sapphire Princess, smaller MDR venues each with a focus on a different cuisine but still offering the MDR choices as well.

Then when we did Quantum of the Seas a couple years ago they had 4 different options, same as the Edge is offering. We spent a lot of time making sure we had all our reservations then, once boarding, after the first nite we could just walk into any dining room with a group of 6-8 and be seated, no challenges (and this was at 7-7:30 too).

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Although I believe that the specialty restaurants have their own kitchens and I believe the quality of their food is superior to the main dining rooms which have galley's that prepare huge quantities...depends on how much of a 'foodie' you are!!!:cool:

They finally changed the specialty dining package pricing sheet online to include Edge pricing.

A few things I noticed:

-you won't save as much with a package on the Edge (if you look at % saved)

-LPC is included, when I've seen it elsewhere that it wasn't included on the Edge. Hopefully that is true.

-Dinner on the Edge is listed, so maybe it won't be as expensive as thought (or it was added by mistake).

-the footnote doesn't discuss Raw on 5 having a $35 max credit, but that is listed on my cruise planner

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Tradeshow_in_a_Box/12029863_CEL_DiningPackages_Pricing_Flyer.pdf