Water Purchase or?

keychee

Would you advise purchasing water prior to boarding or once on the boat/stateroom delivery? Is it necessary or is there a way to get water at anytime on the boat for free? It’s been a few years since my last cruise and I’m drawing a blank. I’ll be sailing the Victory in May 2018 if it matters [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want bottled water, you must purchase it. It is much less expensive to purchase the 12 pack from the Fun Shops before you leave or from Room Service once on board than it is to purchase it by the bottle at the bars. I always purchase a 12 pack for times when we want to take some into port with us or want to have the bottles for some other reason. The price is the same whether you pre-purchase or purchase from Room Service.

Is it necessary? That is a matter of opinion. The tap water on the ship is perfectly fine (superior to what I have at home) and I take a refillable cup from home to carry it around (Carnival's cups are small).

I drink too much Coke on cruises, lol, so I buy a 12 pack of water through Carnival to be delivered to my room on the first day. That way I can start my morning with some water while I get ready for my busy fun day. And I can always order more water if I run out.

I just bought bottle water to have delivered to the cabins. The water is perfectly fine to drink but please note that you may swell up from drinking it. I didn't know this and my ankles swelled up bad so I kept drinking more and more water at dinner because I thought I needed it.....not knowing there is a lot of sodium in the water. Some people this does not effect them.......but it did me. Lesson learned.

I just bought bottle water to have delivered to the cabins. The water is perfectly fine to drink but please note that you may swell up from drinking it. I didn't know this and my ankles swelled up bad so I kept drinking more and more water at dinner because I thought I needed it.....not knowing there is a lot of sodium in the water. Some people this does not effect them.......but it did me. Lesson learned.

Great advice!!

This same thing happened to my MIL, and later was told about the sodium content.

We purchase bottled water ahead of time - not because we have any problems with the water on board, but so we have them to take into port. They are lighter than the water bottles we have at home & a little less bulky. Plus, if we don't want to carry the empties around, we can dispose of them. You can always get ice & water on Lido or at any of the bars. You can also drink the room temperature tap water from your sink. Seems like I read on these forums that the water on the ship is not high in sodium - it's all the different foods people are eating that they don't usually eat at home on a regular basis.

I'm not normally very fussy about tap water but I can't stand the water on the ships! It has a rancid taste to me... others have reported that they're fine with it but I just don't like it. So I avoid drinking it and buy the bottled water to have in the cabin.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll order water to be delivered to our room prior to booking. Since this is our 2nd Carnival cruise we will get the 1 Liter as a courtesy, but Hubby drinks 20 oz upon waking just to start his day, lolz

A very knowledgeable poster on here has stated that this is not caused by the drinking water, which is completely desalinated, but rather by exposure to the sea air.

I would definitely buy the water IN ADVANCE for stateroom delivery - Carnival will sell it to you at close to cost (eg, about COSTCO/Sam's Club prices or less) if you do this -

Why..? Carnival used to allow folks to bring coolers on board, and getting coolers full of water and soda through check-in was turning out to be very time consuming, as every bottle needed to be checked to make sure it wasn't full of grain alcohol, etc. So, as a consolation prize, Carnival sells bottled water cheap in advance. Figure out what your daily consumption might be and order up; after the ship sails, it's back to "bar prices."

Carnival used to allow folks to bring coolers on board, and getting coolers full of water and soda through check-in was turning out to be very time consuming, as every bottle needed to be checked to make sure it wasn't full of grain alcohol, etc. So, as a consolation prize, Carnival sells bottled water cheap in advance. Figure out what your daily consumption might be and order up; after the ship sails, it's back to "bar prices."

Not to mention Carnival does not allow ANY BEVERAGES to be brought aboard in plastic bottles. So the only way to bring water aboard is if you can find it in cans.

I would definitely buy the water IN ADVANCE for stateroom delivery - Carnival will sell it to you at close to cost (eg, about COSTCO/Sam's Club prices or less) if you do this -

Why..? Carnival used to allow folks to bring coolers on board, and getting coolers full of water and soda through check-in was turning out to be very time consuming, as every bottle needed to be checked to make sure it wasn't full of grain alcohol, etc. So, as a consolation prize, Carnival sells bottled water cheap in advance. Figure out what your daily consumption might be and order up; after the ship sails, it's back to "bar prices."

That's not quite true, you can still purchase the 12 pack at the same price once you are on board. You have to order it through Room Service.

We know some of our guests are accustomed to bringing onboard their own supply of bottled water, so for your convenience, purified bottled water can be pre-purchased prior to your cruise by visiting The Fun Shops. Water will be delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day. Bottled water may also be purchased onboard by contacting Room Service.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4498/~/bottled-water

Carnival will sell it to you at close to cost (eg, about COSTCO/Sam's Club prices or less) if you do this -

Really?? $4.50 for 12 bottles is a LOT more than $2.99 for 40 bottles that I pay on a regular basis on shore. That's five times the price.

Really?? $4.50 for 12 bottles is a LOT more than $2.99 for 40 bottles that I pay on a regular basis on shore. That's five times the price.

But you can't carry them on any longer. AND, it's a lot less expensive that what most other lines charge.

We bought a 12 pack pre-cruise for excursions and had it in our room at boarding to put in the cooler. We also bought our own tumblers for water from lido or using ice bucket/sink if we didn't want to go up. (Also used the provided large bottles, but they don't show up right away and we drink a lot of water.)

Thanks everyone. I don’t know that the bottles will fit in the fridge so we may use the ice bucket to keep them chilled if we find that we prefer it that way.

FYI the ice buckets onboard are much smaller compared to what you would normally find at a hotel. At most, you could fit two half liter bottles of water plus a small amount of ice in one.