Recent Regal Trip

Captain k

Three weeks returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Regal Princess. Finally had time to do a short review in return as we gained quite a bit of info from this board prior to our cruise. My wife and I came down to FLL a day early and had a great time in the Las Olas Blvd area. The Riverside hotel and Lou Bossi's restaurant were highlights. Nice place to stay and a fun dinner atmosphere. Took a Uber to the port around 11:00 and the line went quick and we were onboard in no time. This was our second Regal cruise , so we knew our way around the ship. Dropped bags in the cabin (balcony cabin aft). Reserved a cabana in the retreat area for the first sea day. Lunch on deck then enjoyed the sun until the muster and sail away. We had anytime dining but only ended up in the main dining room for breakfast and dinner once. Both food and service were good. Had specialty dining reservations during the week and a balcony dining night. Other nights were Alfredo's and the buffet. The Crown grill was excellent, onion soup, steak, and dessert (chocolate molten cake) being highlights. Sabatinis was also great (way better than the reviews we read). Service was also very good. They were very personable and pleasant.

The balcony dinner we had during the late evening in Cozumel. Wow. If you are considering doing this don't think twice.

Food overal was better than two years prior. The burgers at the pool were better than I imagined and the pizza was pretty good.

The ship was still in great shape, room was clean, and service overall was very good. Probably a lack of bar servers on deck, but really no issues. The retreat pool area was still nice if you could get chairs. Lots of chairs were "claimed" by folks who never seemed to use them. Aft pool would have been a great place to hang out , but that has become a smokers paradise. Even when using the jogging track above it you get the opportunity to inhale second hand smoke as you circle right above. Might have just had more smokers onboard this cruise.

Weather was mostly good and port days we spent mostly ashore. Princess Cays was nice,but pretty crowded. Snorkeling was not very good due to waves. They had Kalik beer, so what's not to like? Back on ship for a late lunch and hanging on deck above the main pool. One highlight was the sighting of a whale that swam between the ships anchor and the hull. Never expected that and I thought I was seeing things. Enlisted my wife and others to line the rail and make sure I was not hallucinating. Got some cool pics, thought I was in Alaska.

It was very windy the first couple of days and after tying up in Falmouth the Captain announced that due to swells we may have to abort the stop as they were having trouble establishing a gangway. Not to fear, the port brought a larger gangway down and we were able to disembark a while later. Interesting to see water come up between the ship and wash over the dock and actually once into one of the port buildings. After many trips to Jamaica we always wanted to check out one of the Great Houses, and Princess just started a tour to Rose Hall. We rarely take ship tours, but it was a great price and easy to do. The tour was interesting, with the stories of the "Witch" and how life was on the sugar plantations. The tour continued with a drive up the hillside to view an upscale housing area and then a visit to the Rose Hall shopping area. We found a place for jerk pork there, but although tasty was pretty fatty. We were saved by the $2 meat patties in the little store there that were fantastic. Washed down by a Red Stripe and Ting.

In Grand Cayman we walked out of the harbor and snorkeled with numerous tropicals and a dozen or so large tarpon. Town was extremely crowded although we did like the Guy Harvey shop and spent some $. Had lunch at Rackams, which had excellent views and good food.

Went to Tequila beach on Cozumel and had a good time on their beach and pool. Quite the deal at $17 a piece for entry, beach chairs, and two drinks. Snorkeling to the north was good. About a dozen "frogmen" dressed in black military fatigues came out of the water by me , walked down the beach and then disappeared in the brush. Cool for me, a military guy, but could be unsettling to others I bet. Obviously some kind of training exercise. Back to the square for a walk around and then a late snack on the pier at Las Cinco Soles. Great margaritas there! A great day in Cozumel but we were surprised how built up it has become in the last few years.

Days at sea were quite relaxing and even with the chair hogs in full force we were able to find chairs after a search. The cabana afternoon was pretty cool and very comfortable.

Entertainment was pretty good with the highlights being the Beatlemaniacs and the combined showband.

Disembarkation was easy and we Ubered back to the airport and headed home. Overall a great cruise and we look forward to traveling with Princess again!

Thanks for posting your thoughts. We were on the cruise before yours and had a great time. A lot of folks we met on board were doing back-to-back cruises--some had been the week before us and some were staying to cruise with you. I sometimes wish we had done that. Maybe next time.

Sounds like a great cruise, thanks for sharing.

So lucky to have seen the whale! IIRC, CRLess reported seeing whales last week while on the Royal. I've never been lucky enough to have seen this.

Not sure how to post picture. If anyone can help we would be glad to share them.

To reserve the cabana go to the sanctuary as soon as you board. There was a short line to book the sanctuary however there was an attendant who helped us with the cabana reservation without waiting in line. Cost was $40 for Half day and $80 for full day. Worth it in our opinion!

Not sure how to post picture. If anyone can help we would be glad to share them.

To reserve the cabana go to the sanctuary as soon as you board. There was a short line to book the sanctuary however there was an attendant who helped us with the cabana reservation without waiting in line. Cost was $40 for Half day and $80 for full day. Worth it in our opinion!

Thanks!