Oceania vs. Royal

Great review again Mr Hoopster!!

I went to a sales talk on them and wasn’t too impressed with their free drinks only bring during meals . Has this changed?

I also didn’t like excursions being included as I never take those so I felt I was paying for stuff I was not using. After the presentation I felt I would stick with Azamara as it was a better match for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review again Mr Hoopster!!

I went to a sales talk on them and wasn’t too impressed with their free drinks only bring during meals . Has this changed?

I also didn’t like excursions being included as I never take those so I felt I was paying for stuff I was not using. After the presentation I felt I would stick with Azamara as it was a better match for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a reduced price by taking no perks at all. The perk with the drinks is only at meals but you can upgrade to all inclusive for $20 pd pp.

I know. But for the itineraries I’ve been comparing you’re paying for it in the price. Specialty dining is free on Oceania as well.

Not only is specialty dining included on Oceania, it is as often as you like as long as you are flexible and willing to share a table at varying times (for reservations beyond the pre-cruise guaranteed ones).

As for booze, you can pick the "wine/beer with meals" as your O Life perk and then pay $20/day extra for unlimited wine/beer/spirits all day. And it includes the 18% tip.

As far as comparing Oceania and Azamara, remember that Oceania includes airfare (or an air credit), which for intercontinental flights often has a value of between 1 and 2k/person. And most pro reviewers like Condé Nast Traveler agree that Oceania has the best food at sea.

Last year I attended a local TA presentation by the Azamara CEO. When asked to compare A and O, he commented that "A is about extended port time and O is about food."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oceania is a great cruise line IF ALL GOES AS PLANNED! We were on a Caribbean cruise on the Riveria in February 2016. We should have known something was happening when each person was handed a sealed pen to fill out the forms before boarding. Apparently the noro-virus was on board the previous cruise. Boarding was delayed and rooms not ready for quite awhile. This happens but three or four days into the 10 day cruise everything went south. Could not use library, art or cooking classes, and couldn't even get off the ship in St Maarten until checked by local disease control. Number of norovirus cases increased and the ship cut short the cruise by two days, sprinting back to Miami to get us off ship asap. The stop in Nassau was cancelled because they would not allow the ship to dock with the norovirus. While this was occurring, if you were eating in their cafeteria we witnessed a group of employees placing chairs and tables close to us in large plastic bags (apparently someone got sick there). Things became progressively worse. Those cabins that had noro were sealed with tape so occupants could not leave until cleared by doctor. Food was delivered to them on paper plates and these plates were placed in sealed plastic bags. I can understand that, but NO WHERE was the Captain and other oifficers to be seen. the staff was overworked because each time you wanted to sit down someplace, the table had to be sanitized with some goop and you had to wait several minutes. The hallways were fogged with some stuff during the night and cabins, elevators had this dripping stuff on the walls. When we arrived in Miami, upon going down to retrieve our luggage, the personnel were in hazemat clothes! Disappointed in the lack of concern that Oceania provided to the people on this particular cruise. We were put up in a hotel (no dinner or lunch provided) until our flight back home. Luckily we did not get sick. This particular sailing should never have occurred knowing there was the norovirus on its previous sailing. Trying to speak with the staff etc. was frustrating to say the least. I will never go on this cruise line again. Interestingly, I used to receive cruise literature from them weekly, but after this cruise from he-- all information stopped. I have been on ships with norovirus before, but not to this extent. THE WAY THIS WAS HANDLED BY OCEANIA CRUISE LINE WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING. Again, I have been on the Oceania Riveria another time previously and everything was wonderful and we were impressed. Completely opposite on the February 2016 sailing. They just did not know what to do in the situation and the officers found it easiest to simply hide.

I also didn’t like excursions being included as I never take those so I felt I was paying for stuff I was not using.

You can get a reduced price by taking no perks at all. The perk with the drinks is only at meals but you can upgrade to all inclusive for $20 pd pp.

So the biggest negative I heard from those that wanted "more" was that the Oceania excursions were only 3 hours long and very basic. The only one that seemed to have a good value was in Huahine (1 out of 8 islands). As with all cruise line sponsored excursions, most of them cannot compare to private tours.

You have a choice.... When I booked, I had the option of one of the following:

$600obc, 6 excursions, or drink package at meals only ($39 value).

For a 12 day cruise, I opted for the drink package = $936 for both of us. I also had $500 obc from my TA so used that to upgrade day 1 at guest services for $20 per person per day to unlimited drink package.

I was sipping $30 "Beautifuls" after dinner (XO Hennessey + Grand Marnier). Wine's by the glass were excellent on the package and varied in the Specialty Restaurants to match to food (ie. Beaujolais in Jacques-French, Amarone/Sangiovese blends in Toscana-Italian for example).

The wine pairing dinner in La Reserve for $96 (O's equivalent to Chefs Table, $85 on Royal) were not mere $10 bottles like they serve on Royal. Btw, all soda and specialty coffee free for all guests... even those in interior cabins. There was a dedicated "Barista's" coffee Bar and a automatic machine for the entire public (like in the DL and CL of Royal ships). There were also machines in the Concierge Lounge and Executive Lounge.

Oceania is a great cruise line IF ALL GOES AS PLANNED! .....THE WAY THIS WAS HANDLED BY OCEANIA CRUISE LINE WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Just erase the word "Oceania" from your post and replace it with "Royal Caribbean" or any other cruise line name... exactly the same would happen.

Luckily we did not get sick.

Zero luck involved... sounds like they did absolutely everything in their power to keep you and others from not getting sick as well

Oceania and the other premium lines like Azamara and Viking are the next level up from the mass lines.

Oceania has our business because it is the only line that is premium and allows total customizing.

We could not be more pleased with this product.

We book cruise only on Oceania, bare bones. So, no air, no excursions, no OBC, no booze. "Free" internet is available for all.

We do our own air to maximize control and avoid the 3rd party air booking issue, we bring as much booze on as we want to enjoy in our stateroom, book our own excursions or pay for Oceania from time to time. We usually buy nothing on the ship.

So I am not paying for excursions I do not want nor booze for other people nor OBC on stuff I do not want to buy on the ship. Viking requires you to pay for excursions and booze in the basic fare. Azamara requires you to pay for basic booze for all.

It is the customization that Oceania provides (and the top quality food, service and one class for all philosophy) that keeps us returning to Oceania.

But to each their own - do look around and see what is out there.

While the mass lines are dumbing down their product and implementing Las Vegas distractions - the premium lines are providing top quality cruise experiences focused on itinerary, food, service, education lectures.

You choose.

The lowest price is not necessarily the only factor in cruising. Value for money is more important.

I enjoyed your review. Helps the reader paint a picture of what such a cruise is like.

With that said, it's not a fair comparison to RCI. I'm not even going to use the "McDonalds to nice restaurant comparison". This is literally like a "Country Club vs Night Club" comparison.

I enjoyed your review. Helps the reader paint a picture of what such a cruise is like.

With that said, it's not a fair comparison to RCI. I'm not even going to use the "McDonalds to nice restaurant comparison". This is literally like a "Country Club vs Night Club" comparison.

Unfair comparison in terms of quality/service but the point being made by many in this conversation is that folks who do the research/math can find the "better" experience on Oceania (or other premium lines) for about the same bottom line price as some of the mass market lines once their desired options are priced accordingly.

I had the opportunity to sail with my best friend as her paid guest on the Marina on a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise and it is 10/10 top to bottom. The service, the accommodations, the food, the excursions were all top quality. As the old adage goes, " you get what you pay for". Yes it is much more expensive than the same ocean view cabin on RCCL, but you get so much more. I doubt I will ever be able to afford sailing on Oceania again, but any one who can, is in for an amazing cruise.

I had the opportunity to sail with my best friend as her paid guest on the Marina on a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise and it is 10/10 top to bottom. The service, the accommodations, the food, the excursions were all top quality. As the old adage goes, " you get what you pay for". Yes it is much more expensive than the same ocean view cabin on RCCL, but you get so much more. I doubt I will ever be able to afford sailing on Oceania again, but any one who can, is in for an amazing cruise.

Glad you've experienced the quality difference. But understand that the reason the O cabin price is higher than RCI is because you'd have to pay for the same amenities on RCI (and, though, the net price would end up being the same, there would still be the difference in quality.

I like seeing this comparison. I know a lot of people will say completely different price classes, but I agree with the arguments that it is not.

Wife and I went on Seadream Yacht Club about 5 years ago. It was considerably more than a RCI cruise in terms of base fare. But, other than some excursions (not all), there was really no additional cost. Tips were included, all drinks were included as well. Excursions with the staff, including a hike with the captain to a bar on the other side of the island (where the captain bought a beer) were included. Bikes to use on shore free, jet ski, sea kayak, sailfish boats all free. Beach barbecue the last day with free flowing champagne and caviar (I don’t care for it) also included. Also minibar was included and received a “gift” at turndown every night. Also included an impromptu night out on St Barts with the cruise staff.

As others have mentioned, limited entertainment, but service was incredible and were able to get into smaller islands that the larger ships can’t.

So, adding up all the extra spending should play a factor in decision, price might be closer than you think.

I like seeing this comparison. I know a lot of people will say completely different price classes, but I agree with the arguments that it is not.

Wife and I went on Seadream Yacht Club about 5 years ago. It was considerably more than a RCI cruise in terms of base fare. But, other than some excursions (not all), there was really no additional cost. Tips were included, all drinks were included as well. Excursions with the staff, including a hike with the captain to a bar on the other side of the island (where the captain bought a beer) were included. Bikes to use on shore free, jet ski, sea kayak, sailfish boats all free. Beach barbecue the last day with free flowing champagne and caviar (I don’t care for it) also included. Also minibar was included and received a “gift” at turndown every night. Also included an impromptu night out on St Barts with the cruise staff.

As others have mentioned, limited entertainment, but service was incredible and were able to get into smaller islands that the larger ships can’t.

So, adding up all the extra spending should play a factor in decision, price might be closer than you think.

You are correct that comparing only cabin prices is misleading.

The better direction is to compare "net daily rate," i.e., all requires/anticipated cruise vacation expenses door-to-door divided by number of days gone from home. Things like included air fare (or an air credit) are considerable cost/savings factors.

• 2 months later...

Went on Oceania’s Regatta for a ten-day cruise to Bermuda and a few other ports last spring in a concierge balcony cabin. In December we are booked on Allure of the Seas in an Owners Suite. Will be interested to see how the cruise experiences differ. Found Regatta a bit boring on sea days, entertainment started at 9:30 each night (late for us), the cabin tiny and the shower absurdly small. The food was mostly good. Did not care for the buffet lunch at all. Ate all breakfasts in MDR -very good. Specialty restaurants included and mostly very good. Loved the afternoon tea. Loved the classic ship’s furnishings. Loved the chamber music. The library was exquisite. We booked The Allure suite for the huge room, living room, and bath, for the ship’s entertainment, the suite lounge, the Coastal Kitchen dining (plus the three-night dining package), reserved seating for shows, and easy embarkation and debarkation. The comparison should be interesting.

• 1 year later...

Doing an Oceania cruise (Insignia ??) to Bermuda. Price seems great, going with my 11 year old so no real kids stuff except pool and  mini-golf. We've now done two Royal, one NCL and second on next March and one MSC. MSC was great on ship but will never do again due to their customer service.

Oceania prices out close to same as Royal to Bermuda inside room, balcony's are very expensive. Ociania is a tad cheaper than Royal when you consider Amex is $300 OBC for all cabins on Ociania ($100 for inside on Royal but one free soda for my son), $225 statement credit promo now for Amex on Oceania, No taxes or port fees on Ocieania (Almost $600 for Royal). I always buy internet for wifi calling and drink package (standard) which is free has shakes and no alcoholic drinks, Royal is just sodas.

My son and I do everything together so not having a kids club is not a loss to us.

I am looking forward to this cruise, never did a cruise in an inside except quick two night one from Italy to Spain via France on MSC.

I'm only really posting this because I did not see anywhere where Oceania has taxes / port charges in their price.

I did not do Olife thing of air.

Comparing Royal to Oceania is lost unless you have sailed on both. I have sailed on many cruise lines including Royal and Oceania. Royal is mass market and less costly than Oceania. Royal offers a vacation option at a lower cost. For what you pay, you get a good vacation. Oceania costs more...often much more than Royal.  If you can afford Oceania, it is worth it. The food is fabulous. The service is outstanding. The ships are beautiful. An ordinary cabin on Marina is the big.  No nickel and dining to buy extras.  What matters is included.  After sailing on Oceania, I took a mass market cruise. It was ok except I kept thinking about how much I enjoyed Oceania.