Can men wear khaki shorts at MDR?

Whenever we go on vacation in the Caribbean, my husband has worn khaki shorts or something similar with a button down top and boat shoes. It was totally appropriate attire in all restaurants on the islands. He plans on wearing this in the MDR on our upcoming cruise as well. He would not however feel comfortable wearing regular shorts though. But to each their own. We have seen a decline in evening wear in the MDR. What used to not be allowed or appropriate is not so anymore.

Royal Caribbean's suggested attire is no shorts allowed. It is never enforced.
There suggestion maybe, but they have removed the shorts not allowed. I wore shorts (khaki with Polo shirt) every night except the second formal night last week on allure and was definitely not under dressed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

First time on RC and just wanna make sure it's ok for men to wear nice shirts at dinner. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Assume you mean shorts.

RC suggests long pants in the MDR for dinner. This is usually printed in the Compass. Also there used to be a sign outside the dining room saying no shorts. That being said it is a suggestion for attire for the evening. They cannot enforce a suggestion and many people choose to ignore the suggested attire for the evening.

You will see all kinds of dress - rarely is anyone turned away.

The ship identifies Casual and Formal nights with the following guidance (the implication is no shorts for dinner).

0017ebbbb988d8c5babff1a15b8a6c06.jpg

fcee9cdc94066df086452a03e40b99d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their "suggested dress code" is about as clear as mud. Pajamas aren't on the list so I guess they're ok in the MDR ;p

Whenever we go on vacation in the Caribbean, my husband has worn khaki shorts or something similar with a button down top and boat shoes. It was totally appropriate attire in all restaurants on the islands. He plans on wearing this in the MDR on our upcoming cruise as well. He would not however feel comfortable wearing regular shorts though. But to each their own. We have seen a decline in evening wear in the MDR. What used to not be allowed or appropriate is not so anymore.

It is not a true statement, one of our favorite resorts sandals had a dress code at a there best restaurant and shorts were not allowed and this was enforced. All other restaurants did allow shorts.

Obviously, Royal is unwilling to alienate the population that is offended at being told to wear long pants and nice shirts, so, they suggest appropriate attire. There will always be those who say, " If it's not required, I'm not doing it." The suggestion is clear; they shouldn't have to list every possible type of wearing apparel that is suggested in order to make it clear what is appropriate--no normal person would assume that since pajamas aren't listed as in-appropriate, they must be appropriate. The suggestion is long pants and a nice shirt.

Why shorts are, by some, deemed so much easier to wear, I do not understand. Heat is no excuse: the dining rooms are air conditioned.

But, as has been noted in every reply, Royal won't turn anyone away--even the ones dressed like beach bums with ratty t-shirts and disreputable jeans--so wear what you want.

Obviously, Royal is unwilling to alienate the population that is offended at being told to wear long pants and nice shirts, so, they suggest appropriate attire. There will always be those who say, " If it's not required, I'm not doing it." The suggestion is clear; they shouldn't have to list every possible type of wearing apparel that is suggested in order to make it clear what is appropriate--no normal person would assume that since pajamas aren't listed as in-appropriate, they must be appropriate. The suggestion is long pants and a nice shirt.

Why shorts are, by some, deemed so much easier to wear, I do not understand. Heat is no excuse: the dining rooms are air conditioned.

But, as has been noted in every reply, Royal won't turn anyone away--even the ones dressed like beach bums with ratty t-shirts and disreputable jeans--so wear what you want.

A suggestion is just that- a suggestion. It does not list what is our is not allowed. Why is that so hard to understand? You don't want shorts, don't wear shorts. They have items that are not allowed and shorts are not on that list.

It is not a true statement, one of our favorite resorts sandals had a dress code at a there best restaurant and shorts were not allowed and this was enforced. All other restaurants did allow shorts.

Gotcha. Well then I would say most restaurants in the Caribbean allow khaki shorts. I have never been to Sandals so I didn't know. However, I have been to many fancy/upscale restaurants in the Caribbean and khaki type shorts were allowed and acceptable dinner attire. Of course these shorts are paired with a button down shirt and boat shoes. I don't think these restaurants would allow other type of shorts as acceptable dinner attire.

Their "suggested dress code" is about as clear as mud. Pajamas aren't on the list so I guess they're ok in the MDR ;p

Seriously????? Do you want a full page list of every possible type of clothing? Styles of shoes? Colors of hair extensions? Glasses rim types?

A suggestion is just that- a suggestion. It does not list what is our is not allowed. Why is that so hard to understand? You don't want shorts, don't wear shorts. They have items that are not allowed and shorts are not on that list.

Agreed!!

These are suggestions and that is it.

I also think it all depends on the cruise you are going on. To me, a Caribbean cruise is more laid back too. I have seen people wear distressed jeans that are so worn and distressed it should not have been acceptable in the MDR but these passengers were not turned away from the MDR.

It's vacation, dress clean and what you deem appropriate.

Agreed!!

These are suggestions and that is it.

I also think it all depends on the cruise you are going on. To me, a Caribbean cruise is more laid back too. I have seen people wear distressed jeans that are so worn and distressed it should not have been acceptable in the MDR but these passengers were not turned away from the MDR.

It's vacation, dress clean and what you deem appropriate.

While I wouldn't wear tattered jeans and some if the other things I see, it doesn't effect my meal what others wear.

Either you know it all or, as you state, don’t understand. I’ll go w the latter.