Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

Danish Viking, thank you for your help, time and effort all these years. My question is returning to Oceankaj on a Sunday from the Little Mermaid/Kastellet area.

I can walk back to Osterport St. for bus 25 Oceankaj or walk to Sondre Frihavn for bus 27. On google maps, I see the bus sign/pole for #27 at Sondre Frihavn but I only see a bus shelter by Osterport on that side of the street. If I take bus 25 do I wait at the bus shelter on Folke Bernadottes Alle in front of Osterport Station?

Can I buy 2 zone ticket from the driver but having to pay only with Danish krone not Euro?

Thank you.

"The hotel shuttle busses are for Crowne Plaza, AC Hotel Bella Sky and Marriott (and in the near future also Hilton) "

Danish Viking - Thank you so much for taking the time to explain in detail on how to get around. At the beginning of the pictures (2 pages back) you stated that one of the hotels for the shuttle busses is Marriott. Which Marriott are you referring to? I ask b/c we will be staying at the CPH Marriott Hotel at KB 5 and the site says no shuttle busses from the airport.

Maybe I was to quick here, I was just putting 2 and 2 together and since Marriott was part of the BC Hospitality Group I though that their busses also went to that hotel.

But apparently its only Crowne Plaza and AC Hotel Bella Sky.

Danish Viking, thank you for your help, time and effort all these years. My question is returning to Oceankaj on a Sunday from the Little Mermaid/Kastellet area.

I can walk back to Osterport St. for bus 25 Oceankaj or walk to Sondre Frihavn for bus 27. On google maps, I see the bus sign/pole for #27 at Sondre Frihavn but I only see a bus shelter by Osterport on that side of the street. If I take bus 25 do I wait at the bus shelter on Folke Bernadottes Alle in front of Osterport Station?

Can I buy 2 zone ticket from the driver but having to pay only with Danish krone not Euro?

Thank you.

Its a detour to walk back to Østerport.

Instead you can find the 27 bus stop Søndre Frihavn (Kalkbrænderihavnsgade) on your right hand of the intersection when coming from the Indiakaj road (from the little Mermaid)

Østerport will be on your left so its the wrong direction.

If you are unsure of where to find the bus stop you can also walk to the ferry terminal instead, here you find the busstop just infront of the ferry terminal.

Look for the big DFDS Seaways ferry.

And yes you pay in Kroner.

Danish Viking thank you for your help. I have to say that I am really disappointed in Celebrity cruises and Copenhagen for what I feel is dumping us in the middle of nowhere. Of course Celebrity will charge extortionate prices for a shuttle or we take a chance on being able to get on a bus. Realistically what do you think the bus queues will be like with so many people wanting to see the city. Apparently Copenhagen was rated most highly in 2017 which based on Langelinie dock I can see, I can't see that happening again with Oceankaj day cruisers. This has become a stop I am not looking forward to now which is not how you should feel before a holiday. Maybe they should have thought of transport links for thousands of passengers before opening, there isn't even any shelter from the rain at the bus stops and I'm sure you don't get 300+ days of sunshine a year.

There is a bus shelter at Oceankaj but it probably only hold 5-6 people. :D

But to be honest I don't think that you have to make this an issue.

Oceankaj has been in operation since 2014 (or was it 15) and it only had some traffic problems in the start until they figured that out.

I did my photo tour with only one ship in port and here there was no issues at all.

I'm planning on perhaps going next weekend to document how things is going.

Apparently next Sunday will be the busiest day in the entire year with 4 cruiseships out in Nordhavn and 6 or 7 in total so if the infrastructure can handle that day it can handle it all.

Its a detour to walk back to Østerport.

Instead you can find the 27 bus stop Søndre Frihavn (Kalkbrænderihavnsgade) on your right hand of the intersection when coming from the Indiakaj road (from the little Mermaid)

Østerport will be on your left so its the wrong direction.

If you are unsure of where to find the bus stop you can also walk to the ferry terminal instead, here you find the busstop just infront of the ferry terminal.

Look for the big DFDS Seaways ferry.

And yes you pay in Kroner.

Thank you Danish Viking!. I just now found the bus 25 return location to Oceankaj and I will follow your advice and walk to Sondre Frihavn and the pick up location with the sign on the pole for bus 27.

@danishviking Thank you again in advance for giving me thoughts about the location two hotel options I asked about in post 175. Also wanted to ask your opinion on which canal boat ride to take.

Thanks again

@danishviking Thank you again in advance for giving me thoughts about the location two hotel options I asked about in post 175. Also wanted to ask your opinion on which canal boat ride to take.

Thanks again

I think both of them are great.

We will disembark on Thursday June 16 at Oceankranj. How difficult will it be to get a taxi to transport us to our hotel (Hotel Christian !V). I assume, the earlier we get off the ship the better.

Thanks for your help.

There are 5 ships in port that day but luckily only 2 of them are at Oceankaj.

Norwegian will be docking at 07:00 and Costa Favaloza will be in port at 08:30 so if you are on board the Breakaway the trick will be to grab a taxi before the Costa ship docks.

Also one further advantage (if you are on the breakaway) is that its docked at Terminal 1 and that its the one closest to the main road out of the port.

Danish Viking thank you for all your help it is much appreciated. I'm really pleased to see they have installed a bus shelter since google maps were there, every little helps!

It would be really interesting to see how Oceankaj copes with all the ships next Sunday. I think there is a distinct difference though if ships are embarking/debarking or if it is a port stop as to what transport people require. Have you seen several ships in that are all on a port stop and how the public transport system copes.

Your right and I am probably over thinking it all. If we were to decide to go from Oceankaj direct to Nyhavn which would be the best way to go.

Thank you

Best way to Nyhavn is to take the 25 bus to Nørreport and then a eastbound metro to Kongens Nytorv.

If bus 27 is the first bus you can then just change at Østerport to the 26 bus towards Ålholm Plads and get off at Kongens Nytorv.

Usually Oceankaj is for turn around calls, meaning ships changing passengers.

This is perhaps the reason why not so many public busses are needed.

Langelinie takes the normal cruise calls as it hasn't hit any passenger facilities.

Nordre Toldbod is usually for turn around calls but its only for the small cruise ships.

I think both of them are great.

Thanks Danishviking. So you have no thoughts to which hotel area is better? I'm leaning toward Hotel Rye even though it may be a longer walk to some places. It seems more personal and in an area with cafes to find food. 😊 Do you agree with that over the area by Central Station?

Hello Danish Viking, may I ask something more about the City Pass?

I have been to Copenhagen for twice over the past two years and I am already quite familiar with the transportation. I will come here again very soon in late May, but this time Copenhagen will only be the last stop of my cruise trip. My ship will be at Oceankaj.

I know that it is impossible to buy a paper City Pass at the kiosk at Oceankaj, so the only way is to buy them online now. Will I immediately receive the SMS after the payment? Or the SMS will only be sent to me on that day? Is there any receipt that I can print out for confirmation, instead of showing the SMS to the driver (in case I cannot receive the SMS)?

Thanks in advance.

I have been to Copenhagen for twice over the past two years and I am already quite familiar with the transportation. I will come here again very soon in late May, but this time Copenhagen will only be the last stop of my cruise trip. My ship will be at Oceankaj.

I know that it is impossible to buy a paper City Pass at the kiosk at Oceankaj, so the only way is to buy them online now. Will I immediately receive the SMS after the payment? Or the SMS will only be sent to me on that day? Is there any receipt that I can print out for confirmation, instead of showing the SMS to the driver (in case I cannot receive the SMS)?

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure the very helpful Danish Viking will provide his answers. Meanwhile, to supplement his info, let me share my Q&A with the Copenhagen tourist office. Below is my email exchange with them, including their answers:

I have reviewed the info from the online ticketing link, and this is my understanding of how it works:

1. I can specify the start date and time when I purchase the ticket online. yes

2. I will receive an email confirmation with my purchase details. yes

3. On the start date, I will receive the City Pass via an SMS. yes

4. If I fail to receive the SMS, or if my phone runs out of battery, I can show the email confirmation (hard copy) as a backup ticket. Yes that will be a good idea to print it

5. In any case, I must have my phone with me during the entire travel validity period.

They didn't provide an answer to #5 above, but that's what the online ticketing link said, which makes the online ticket less ideal for me, as I do not typically bring my phone with me when sightseeing out and about.

In my case, I will debark at Langelinie kaj (in July) and will walk to Osterport station to buy the ticket at one of the machines. I've been told that it's an easy and flat walk - hopefully that'll still be the case, despite the station's current construction project.

Edited by sfvoyage

Oh I thought about the canal tours, I will be back with my comment on the hotels when I get home from the soccer game.

Thank you so much. I posted the names of both in post 175. I realize they are budget hotels. I just am wondering about which is the better area to stay in. 😊

Hey Allentownshoy! You mention disembarking on Thursday, June 16th. I board on the 16th and it is a Saturday. Probably a typo but just in case. And assuming it’s a 2018 date you are referencing!

Thanks in advance.

You will get one right away but they will send you one on the day its valid so it will be on the top of your text messages.

Do not send the ticket to another phone as its not allowed.

Danish Viking: we arrive in Copenhagen on May 31st and will be there 3 nights before our cruise. Looking at budget hotels I have two reservations. Wake UP Copenhagen Carsten Gade and Hotel Rye on Ryesgrade just north of the last lake. Provided the weather is good,my husband and I will walk for miles, and have no issue using public transportation. Can you give me your insight as to which you think is the better location? We are thinking of just taking a taxi from the airport as we will be tired, but we are willing to do public transportation to the pier for embarkation. We will be leaving from Oceankaj. I appreciate your help.

Sorry that I missed your post.

Hotel Rye seems to be the best hotel of these two, the reviews on TripAdvisor are excellent and the location on Østerbro is also way better compared to the location of the other hotel.

Østerbro is one of the oldest boroughs of Copenhagen so its very cozy.

There are many restaurants and cafe's around Østerbrogade.

Wake Up at Carsten Niebuhrs gade is located in an development area that is probably very nice when done but right now its a huge construction site.

On one side of the hotel they are demolishing the old post terminal to make room for some office bloks for Danske Bank, a new hotel and some apartment towers (with one being the highest in Copenhagen at 115 meters)

On the other side a new Cabinn hotel with 2 "towers" is being build and behind that a IKEA is on the way.

So lots of construction, but if you are a train nerd like me its located with a nice view over the central station.

Sorry that I missed your post.

Hotel Rye seems to be the best hotel of these two, the reviews on TripAdvisor are excellent and the location on Østerbro is also way better compared to the location of the other hotel.

Østerbro is one of the oldest boroughs of Copenhagen so its very cozy.

There are many restaurants and cafe's around Østerbrogade.

Wake Up at Carsten Niebuhrs gade is located in an development area that is probably very nice when done but right now its a huge construction site.

On one side of the hotel they are demolishing the old post terminal to make room for some office bloks for Danske Bank, a new hotel and some apartment towers (with one being the highest in Copenhagen at 115 meters)

On the other side a new Cabinn hotel with 2 "towers" is being build and behind that a IKEA is on the way.

So lots of construction, but if you are a train nerd like me its located with a nice view over the central station.

Danishviking: Thank you so much. I was leaning toward Hotel Rye and the neighborhood being nice. Just wasn't sure if I would be unhappy being a little further but I think it will be nice walks or perhaps we might rent bikes one day. Hotel Rye has excellent reviews for a budget hotel and is very affordable for Copenhagen. Again thank you so much for your help.

Last question. Given we are in that location and plan to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and probably a taxi to the port, do you feel a metro pass would be useful? I looked at the Copenhagen card, but not sure I wouldn't do better ala carte.

There are 5 ships in port that day but luckily only 2 of them are at Oceankaj.

Norwegian will be docking at 07:00 and Costa Favaloza will be in port at 08:30 so if you are on board the Breakaway the trick will be to grab a taxi before the Costa ship docks.

Also one further advantage (if you are on the breakaway) is that its docked at Terminal 1 and that its the one closest to the main road out of the port.

I made a mistake. We head home on the 16th. We arrive back in Copenhagen on Serenade of the Seas on June 14. How do things look on that day?

Hey Allentownshoy! You mention disembarking on Thursday, June 16th. I board on the 16th and it is a Saturday. Probably a typo but just in case. And assuming it’s a 2018 date you are referencing!

I made a mistake. Too much to keep track of. I disembark on Thursday June 14 and fly home on Saturday the 16th.