Most Traveled Passenger

ACoupleAtSea

Wouldn't you think in a case of someone actually "living" on the ship, would disqualify them for that "honor". As a "loyal" cruiser who chooses my vacation on a particular line, I would like to have a chance for that "honor" (as it is) and with the line including those who live on the ship....I have literally no chance....why then, would I stay "loyal" to that line....

The person who lived on the previous Royal always turned down the honor of being the MTP. She always let the next person on the list have the honor.

People who are loyal to a line so that they might some day be the MTP on a cruise are in for a big disappointment. Only one person (or couple) on a cruise can be the MTP. On a ship with over 3000 passengers that means over 3000 passengers will not have that honor, no matter how loyal they are, even if the MTP that cruise has less than 500 days.

For someone who is retired, wouldn't it be boring to spend all year at home?

It sounds totally boring to do the same thing day in & day out.

How many days can you read on the balcony or re-watch the same TV programs ?

After a while even sailing can get boring when you're left with no other options during the day.

After a while even sailing can get boring when you're left with no other options during the day.

Even worse, my Kindle would eventually run out of books. :)

Unlike being in an old folks home on land the scenery changes every day and you can go ashore in a different port if you want to

And the local TV stations change as well, and fresh passengers come on to interact with if you want to

For someone who is retired, wouldn't it be boring to spend all year at home?

Being retired myself, yes! I would get totally bored spending all year at home which is why I like to shake things up a bit ... try new things to do, while around home or on vacation.

It is funny that so many talk about being bored if on a cruises ship as a home. With the ship, you are in a different port every couple of days. If you pick the right ship, you are traveling all over the world. If you stay at home, there is not much change in scenery other than the change in seasons.

It is funny that so many talk about being bored if on a cruises ship as a home. With the ship, you are in a different port every couple of days. If you pick the right ship, you are traveling all over the world. If you stay at home, there is not much change in scenery other than the change in seasons.

Staying at home cannot be more boring than being on a cruise. You have so much to do at home that you don't get to do on a cruise------making your bed, making your coffee, cooking your breakfast, doing your dishes, cleaning house, fixing lunch, planning menus, cooking dinners, mowing the lawn, painting the house, and all the other fun things a home owner gets to do to keep boredom at bay.

We took a RCCI cruise a few months ago and the MTP was a guy who lived on the ship. You would think he would disqualify himself but it appeared he claimed First Prize every cruise.

I often think that Princess cruisers with over 1000 days (which would include us) should be considered Legacy cruisers and disqualified (I’d say exempted ;)) from the top 3, but then I think of so many reasons why that wouldn’t work. If you just cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, you may well reach 1000 days and never be in the top 3, which is admittedly fun the first couple of times. And then there’s the whole ‘are the top 3 really the top 3 if there are 10 couples with more days?’ aspect to consider. It’s a quandary.

As for boring...it’s easy to see how waking up in a different port nearly every becomes ‘same old-same old’. But then it’s hard to compete with the exciting, fast-paced life I live at home. Just today I was up early to get to the grocery store to get half priced Easter candy for DH, then I drove to Ulta to pick up their daily deal, and now I’m having cereal for breakfast before going out to clean up the remnants of last summer’s perennials.

But there is that game tonight to look forward to. I might miss that if I was on a ship. (GO BLUE!)

Staying at home cannot be more boring than being on a cruise. You have so much to do at home that you don't get to do on a cruise------making your bed, making your coffee, cooking your breakfast, doing your dishes, cleaning house, fixing lunch, planning menus, cooking dinners, mowing the lawn, painting the house, and all the other fun things a home owner gets to do to keep boredom at bay.

You are right. I hadn't considered those benefits of home.

Oh, yeah, those are things that I want to do day after day!!! :eek:

Tom

He probably sells his awards on eBay. ;);)

I think you were joking. but ... someone I know who very often won the MTP, used to sell the expensive bottle of champagne he received. At the time, this gentleman cruised nearly all the time - only going home for a few days between cruises and not spending any money at all on board. They always booked the cheapest cabin, but he hasn't been able to cruise much for the last year or two because he no longer has a cruising partner and it is too expensive to pay a single supplement.

I think you were joking. but ... someone I know who very often won the MTP, used to sell the expensive bottle of champagne he received. At the time, this gentleman cruised nearly all the time - only going home for a few days between cruises and not spending any money at all on board. They always booked the cheapest cabin, but he hasn't been able to cruise much for the last year or two because he no longer has a cruising partner and it is too expensive to pay a single supplement.

I guess my humor did come through after all.

Reading posts by some people it sounds as though these most traveled people give them to others on the ship. I'm not sure why someone would want one if they hadn't actually qualified for it. It's not like it's made of gold. ;)

When the infamous Clarks were the most traveled Princess wide, they used to sell their internet minutes and give trivia prizes to the staff in lieu of cash tips.

When the infamous Clarks were the most traveled Princess wide, they used to sell their internet minutes and give trivia prizes to the staff in lieu of cash tips.

I am stunned that people would sell either their champagne or their internet minutes. I think you were on the Grand Princess cruise around South America in 2013.:) On that cruise, I gave my internet minutes for the 49-night cruise to one of the CC members, a lady by the name of Anne. She was travelling alone and having to use internet time to organise her tours. I still had my husband's internet minutes and didn't need mine, but I would never have accepted money for them. I have given the carabiners trivia prizes to the stewards. They love them to hold their keys, but this is not in lieu of a tip.

We do occasionally give them a pass, but I guess you missed where I said my husband still enjoys the honor. At this point, we generally give our bottle of champagne back to be raffled off and decline the gift boxes. We did enjoy the crystals, and used to give away any duplicates. The wooden boxes just don’t have the same appeal as they are not destination specific.

Tony, assuming you mean Steve K, we haven’t seen them in four years. How is Peggy doing?

Hey PescadoAmarillo and honey! Thought of you often on the Royal this past season. Miss you both. We sailed with Steve K (on 3 of our 4 legs) he of course was MTP each leg. Sadly Peggy passed away last year. He decided to sail this season as it is something she loved. We really got to know him better this voyage and often sat and chatted with him.

I too don't care for the souvenir box you get for top 3. We have been giving it away to someone sailing for a special occasion (we learned this from you). I don't even think it is wood, I think it is a plastic resin. I do enjoy the bubbles though.

We almost always qualify for the top 40 event. Normally we do longer voyages. This year we were on the Royal 10 day voyage for 40 days and each leg you needed at least 500 days just to qualify. We enjoy the MTG event whether it is a lunch or cocktail party.

If we qualify for top 3 it is usually Alaska, Coastal or Mexican Cruise.

Cheers!

Vickie & Bernie

I am stunned that people would sell either their champagne or their internet minutes. I think you were on the Grand Princess cruise around South America in 2013.:) On that cruise, I gave my internet minutes for the 49-night cruise to one of the CC members, a lady by the name of Anne. She was travelling alone and having to use internet time to organise her tours. I still had my husband's internet minutes and didn't need mine, but I would never have accepted money for them. I have given the carabiners trivia prizes to the stewards. They love them to hold their keys, but this is not in lieu of a tip.

Yes, we were together on the Grand 49 day South American cruise in 2013. We are signed up for the repeat on the Royal next February.

Well they were very good at winning the Trivia, if the CD staff changed the questions more perhaps they wouldn't have been?????

Can't say I have every given cash tips to staff since the automatic gratuities kicked in.

But I have also given those little flashlight keyrings Trivia prizes to cabin stewards on occasion and they seemed to like them.

Enough of the questions are repeated. So Mrs Clark brought the sheets from all the prior quizzes and would search for the answers.

I cannot say I ever saw them do that on the cruises I was on at the same time, and I used to sit next to them at Trivia.

I know Brian has an extraordinarily good memory.

They did give crew their trivia prizes but I never saw or heard of them selling their internet time. Back when we had unlimited free minutes and had to use the Internet Cafe computers Brian would use the computer then stay signed in allowing others to use his time. But never observed or heard that he was selling the time.

Tony, thanks for the update. We felt the same. We have Steve’s address (assuming he hasn’t moved) and will get in touch with him. I’m glad you encouraged him to cruise again. He and Peggy were the ones that first started us thinking about extended cruising.

I talked to Steve yesterday he will be on the Crown Princess for 60 days starting in January 2019.

Margie and I are so happy that he is going to keep cruising. He told me to tell everyone Thank You for asking about Peggy and for all your kind words about her.

Tony

I cannot say I ever saw them do that on the cruises I was on at the same time, and I used to sit next to them at Trivia.

On one sailing with them they always sat in the same chairs for trivia.

One day one of our team came in early and purposely sat where they like to. When they came in later they took one look and left.