Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

Etiquette? It’s a flipping cruise ship, not Broadway. You didn’t specifically pay for the shows, which can be very poor at best sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was thinking something similar. I will add, I did walk out of a show on a ship once but I had a good reason. I had a bad leg and it was giving me HELL. Once in Vegas was tempted to walk out. We didn't for the reason the OP gives here. It isn't only the performers that can be insulted, it can interrupt the audience. That being said, I certainly do not consider it poor manners. It is a cruise, no matter how much research there may be a show that upsets people or is just not your thing. Walk out, but do it quietly. And for those who are upset about people walking out, as someone mentioned no one knows why a person leaves. My gripe is parents who bring their kids to shows and they disrupt everyone. i do not mean all kids by any means. I am thinking more about shows that are not family friendly or small kids that may get bored.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

I knew what Rock of ages was about but it sucked so bad yes I walked out. It was like sitting through a really bad high school musical. How about them apples?

If a show is long enough to have an intermission leave then. If a show has no intermission leave between set changes or songs. Basic etiquette. Bathroom issues or pages from the kids club are unexpected and people should not be criticized for that. I agree people should read the one paragraph in the bulletin or at the very least look at the marquee before going in. If you hate magicians, country music, etc. just stay away. If I do my homework and think I will enjoy a show but end up not enjoying it, most cruise ship shows are an hour or less so I try to stick it out even if I am not enjoying it for all the reasons people are commenting about.

We will leave if a comic is vulgar during the shows NOT rated adult, or if the show is really bad. Fortunately, that is rare.

It happens more frequently on very long cruises. When it does, we see a rather large exodus. I recall one comedian whose routine was "joking" about ethnic groups. I would say he deserved the walkout as it was excessive.

Your in a cruise ship theatre not a grand opera house if you need to leave go , just do it quietly and quickly . We always sit towards the back by the isle so we don`t disturb others if we leave . Bye the way yes i do go to the opera and would never move from my seat until the interval . totally different ball game .

If you don’t like a show, just leave. Sorry.

It's not only rude to the fol;ks around you but its rude to the entertainers as well as a distraction.

What is worse is the folks that walk in late right to the front of theater. they think that just because its so called free show they feel that its alright to come in when ever. Even up to 5 min. left in the performance. Are they clueless, stupid or just don't give a dam.

Maybe it's parents who just got paged to the nursery. Maybe one person is having a panic attack, and the spouse doesn't want to let them leave alone. Maybe they aren't being rude, but had something come up that is not apparent to you.

You never know. shrug

This. I try to be understanding because you never know what someone is going through. Unless they're loudly pushing through the aisles grumbling about how horrible the show is.

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

How do you know they are walking out because they are not enjoying the show or the content?

Some people need to leave for another reason, for example they need to put the kids to bed, or their health, I have fibromyalgia and I sometimes try to go to the shows but end up being in too much pain to sit any longer.

As a group of 19 once we all watched a show and and the end all said how horrible the show was and wished we had left, so from then on if the show is not our cup of tea we leave, I’m not wasting my vacation time doing something unenjoyable. Life is about choices, and we have the freedom to make them.

I apologize but must be among the handful that don't understand the point raised by OP here, also started another post about "shows tenure too long" and I quote -

"
We travel on NCL’s mega ships about four times each year and frankly I’m getting tired watching the same shows over and over again"

... sailing mega ships 4X a year

... Broadway quality shows (oh, don't we miss those by Jean Ryan Productions then)

Two unrelated posts about NCL's entertainment, I suppose. I find it more annoying that folks walk into the main theater after curtains up, stand on the steps and look left & right, walk again & stop again, hunting for empty seats in the middle, blocking the view and disrupting others too. But, guess what ... it is what it is - just another first world problem, like the complaints about chair hogs, smokers or watery drinks, etc.

Imagine for a moment, for someone to sit thru a 100 minutes show with no intermission if you have the urge to go and/or have bladder issues ... when you gotta go or the kids or whomever must head for the exit, they will and do ... last thing we need are proposals for theater security to police it and lock the doors.

Most of the time, the entertainers and performers on stage can hardly see the crowds in the audience, except for those sitting in the front rows with all the lights, sounds, music & their own concentration ... IMO, to notice the "minor" distractions.

Besides, it's like preaching to the choir, ship's 5% population on CC ...

People leaving shows does not bother me at all. What bothers me is the inconsiderate boors who show up after the show begins and cause obstructions and disruptions while they push their way into a row along with today's over permissive parents who allow their brats to run up and down the aisle during shows.

People leaving shows does not bother me at all. What bothers me is the inconsiderate boors who show up after the show begins and cause obstructions and disruptions while they push their way into a row along with today's over permissive parents who allow their brats to run up and down the aisle during shows.

I totally agree with many of the above threads.

What I am seeing on this thread is that some of the people do not appreciate the shows because they are in a cruise ship theater. "I didn't pay for it, it's my vacation, I don't want to waste my time", etc. Believe me you are paying for all the entertainment in your cruise package and for the most part you have gotten a good deal. But it is still a theater!

Yes, if you have done your research and you know what the show is about and you don't like it, by all means leave. However there is no need to leave your manners at home. Some people have said that they do not know what theater etiquette is. I am a theater "nerd" and do volunteer work for two theaters in my home town. Normally ushers would help out, but NCL does not use ushers.

Basically here is theater "etiquette" for those of you who do not know: (forgive me for those of you who do know)

1. Get there on time or early. If you do get there late, wait until a break in the action so to speak, to go to your seat. NCL does not assign seats, so if you get there late, sit in the back. This will not disturb the actors or the people around you. Believe it or not the actors can see most of you. Most theaters will not seat you if you are late until there is a break in the action. They will hold you in the back.

2. Do not talk during the performance. This can ruin the show for others around you. In most cases do not bring children 5 and under to a show. If they get restless or bored, take them out. They can be distracting to the actors and your fellow theater goers.

3. If you must get up and leave, again don't go during a quiet scene or a musical number. Wait until it is over and people are clapping, then leave quietly. Better yet if there is an intermission, leave then.

Theater etiquette is as much for your fellow theater goers as it is about the actors. (And I know most cruisers are not active on CC and will not read this)

If I have forgotten anything, feel free to add. Enjoy the shows!

Edited by Seminole1975

Etiquette? It’s a flipping cruise ship, not Broadway. You didn’t specifically pay for the shows, which can be very poor at best sometimes.

Some of these posts crack me up. I can't imagine being so uptight over what someone else chooses to do ... especially when on vacation!

Yes, THIS. I am with you 100% ... and not facetiously. The shows can be and are really poor, at times. I do not think anyone should be handcuffed to a bad experience. Too much to do onboard to waste precious time.

I never saw a bad show on NCL yet. Burn the Floor, while a great show, is about 30 minutes too long. I would not stay for that entire show if I were to see it again.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine. Shows a total lack of respect for the performers and those in the audience whose views get blocked and feet get stepped on. Decorum, people!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, I would hope those walking out are not at the end of their row, or being disruptive while leaving. That does make a huge difference.

Add to that people that have to talk during the shows.

I completely agree.

I'm with you. My vacation ... my time. I am not going to sit through a show I don't like.

I'm watching The Cruise, about the Regal Princess, I'm getting a little nervous. I wouldn't like ANY of the 'show' performances I've seen rehearsed and bits & pieces of the show.

Am cruising Princess this year. I'm hoping there is entertainment I can enjoy.

Sailed Regal last April 2017 - 7 days Eastern Carribean

Great food

Fantastic entertainment

Make sure to see "Voice of the Seas" very talented guests same format as TV show

Excellent production shows

CD = Billy

Piano Bar Great times i do not remember performer but he drew huge crowds every night

Movies under Stars great

Enjoy and relax No bells and whistles but true cruise premium experience

If available "The Sanctuary" is worth every penny must book early

All of you who so casually stroll in and out of these productions should instead attend bingo, towel-folding demonstrations, and art auctions. Let those of us who arrive on time and leave at the end actually enjoy the experience without your comings and goings.

Some of these posts crack me up. I can't imagine being so uptight over what someone else chooses to do ... especially when on vacation!

I get annoyed/uptight when some people's behaviors, interfere with other people's ability to enjoy themselves or ruin an experience for someone else or me. A strong sense of entitlement can be a problem on a cruise ship (or anywhere actually) when someone is not considerate of others. I do my best to think of others not just myself. Some folks get worked up about chair hogs or cigarette smoke, I get worked up about the theater!

All of you who so casually stroll in and out of these productions should instead attend bingo, towel-folding demonstrations, and art auctions. Let those of us who arrive on time and leave at the end actually enjoy the experience without your comings and goings.

Yes! I agree!!