Cancellation Question (different from most)

I booked a non-refundable fare for my husband and I on Allure this October. However, my doggo just tore his ACL and all of the money we had to spend on the cruise now goes to him. I know if I cancel, I get back most of the $ except 100 per person? However, my husband is not a fan of traveling, and I probably won't be able to convince him to go on one for a couple of years min. The way I understand, is if I cancel half the money goes toward me for a future cruise and half toward him... if I'm wrong please let me know!

My mom & I have a cruise booked for next May (2019) on Anthem. Could I call and switch my reservation so that my mom is now going instead of my husband? Then, if I cancel half would go toward me and half toward her that we could use on Anthem right?

Please let me know if this seems possible, I don't want to go through the hassle or possibly mess things up further.

Since you only have a year to use the FCC, suggest not canceling until you are a year out from your next cruise.

So if I cancel today, I can't put the FCC toward my already booked June 2019 cruise since its over 12 months away? If so, I'll have to play around with numbers and see when my final payment for Oct is due and if that's within the 12 months of the other cruise.

So if I cancel today, I can't put the FCC toward my already booked June 2019 cruise since its over 12 months away? If so, I'll have to play around with numbers and see when my final payment for Oct is due and if that's within the 12 months of the other cruise.

The FCC has to be used on a cruise that completes within a year from when the FCC is created, which in your case would be the day you cancel.

The FCC has to be used on a cruise that completes within a year from when the FCC is created, which in your case would be the day you cancel.

Thank you Bob for the extra info.

I just did the math and final payment will be due on July 7th, 2018 and my Anthem cruise begins on June 19, 2019 - completes on June 28, 2019. So as long as I cancel between June 28th and July 7th, I will be in good shape.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Thank you Bob for the extra info.

I just did the math and final payment will be due on July 7th, 2018 and my Anthem cruise begins on June 19, 2019 - completes on June 28, 2019. So as long as I cancel between June 28th and July 7th, I will be in good shape.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

You have a tight window there, good luck!

Royal Caribbean documents say "The FCC is issued in the name of the guest on the canceled booking", so your idea to change the name of passenger number 2 to your mother is a good idea.

However they are less clear about the expiration of the FCC.

My cruise booking confirmation document just says "The FCC will expire 12 months after it was issued", with no explanation of whether the cruise must be booked within 12 months or must sail within 12 months.

When I looked for answers for this I found a different document from Royal Caribbean that says "The FCC is applicable only towards the purchase of a Royal Caribbean cruise that departs no more than 12-months after the issue date of the FCC".

It's buried in the fine print of this page (Luckily you can "zoom in" on a PDF document): http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056800_Nonrefundable_FAQ_News.pdf

Bob this is different than the explanation you saw where the new cruise must be complete before the FCC expires.

Royal Caribbean documents say "The FCC is issued in the name of the guest on the canceled booking", so your idea to change the name of passenger number 2 to your mother is a good idea.

However they are less clear about the expiration of the FCC.

My cruise booking confirmation document just says "The FCC will expire 12 months after it was issued", with no explanation of whether the cruise must be booked within 12 months or must sail within 12 months.

When I looked for answers for this I found a different document from Royal Caribbean that says "The FCC is applicable only towards the purchase of a Royal Caribbean cruise that departs no more than 12-months after the issue date of the FCC".

It's buried in the fine print of this page (Luckily you can "zoom in" on a PDF document): http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056800_Nonrefundable_FAQ_News.pdf

Bob this is different than the explanation you saw where the new cruise must be complete before the FCC expires.

Good to know, lot of fine print...

I booked a non-refundable fare for my husband and I on Allure this October. However, my doggo just tore his ACL and all of the money we had to spend on the cruise now goes to him. I know if I cancel, I get back most of the $ except 100 per person? However, my husband is not a fan of traveling, and I probably won't be able to convince him to go on one for a couple of years min. The way I understand, is if I cancel half the money goes toward me for a future cruise and half toward him... if I'm wrong please let me know!

My mom & I have a cruise booked for next May (2019) on Anthem. Could I call and switch my reservation so that my mom is now going instead of my husband? Then, if I cancel half would go toward me and half toward her that we could use on Anthem right?

Please let me know if this seems possible, I don't want to go through the hassle or possibly mess things up further.

Sorry about your dog. I just went through the same thing, and had to cancel my Navigator 9 night that was scheduled to leave on March 16th. We cancelled the night before as my dog went into respiratory distress. I had Royals insurance, and although they do not consider my dog immediate family, it does include the cancel for any reason, and we have 75% of the non refundable portion to use on another cruise.

I hope your dog is doing better, it was a no brainer for me to cancel the cruise, which I would have done with or without insurance.

Sorry about your dog. I just went through the same thing, and had to cancel my Navigator 9 night that was scheduled to leave on March 16th. We cancelled the night before as my dog went into respiratory distress. I had Royals insurance, and although they do not consider my dog immediate family, it does include the cancel for any reason, and we have 75% of the non refundable portion to use on another cruise.

I hope your dog is doing better, it was a no brainer for me to cancel the cruise, which I would have done with or without insurance.

Thanks Mike, and yes it's definitely a no brainer for him. He's a lovable little guy, he became paralyzed 1.5 years ago in his back 2 legs and almost had to be put asleep. Due to his stubbornness, he actually taught himself to walk again and can now run and play again!

Having gone through 5 doggy ACL surgeries, I feel your pain.

But shop around, I have seen many prices quoted online that are 3 -5x what we paid. And our doggy orthopedic surgeon is VERY good.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: (sorry couldn't figure out how to edit original post instead of replying)

This worked, though it wasn't completely smooth. I called RCCL on Tuesday and requested a name change from my husband to mom. The guy was having trouble getting his computer to work properly. He kept semi-accusing me of being in the Cruise Planner online, but I had already logged out & even shut down my computer at one point to be sure. He escalated it to a manager, who got it fixed, but I was on the phone about 1.5 hours.

Then I waited until Wednesday and called back to actually cancel. I spoke to a woman this time, and I requested to cancel but double-checked that I would receive a future cruise credit due to the information online. She kept arguing and said that "no" I was not eligible, because you have to change the current cruise not cancel it. I argued for about 20 minutes, but knew that I was getting close to the deadline so I went ahead and had her cancel and hoped for the best. In retrospect, I should've requested a supervisor, but for some reason I didn't think of that.

After I hung up, I found a Royal Caribbean page explaining that YES I was eligible for a $300 cruise certificate, so I emailed Mr. Bayley and explained my conversation with the woman and added a screenshot / link to the page where I got my information.

I got an email back this morning, much quicker than expected, and they confimed that I will be getting my cruise certificate for $300 and it should arrive via email within 7-10 days, but if not to email her back and she would look into it.

Thanks to those of you who helped me mentally work this out, and good luck to anyone who may have a similar problem in the future!