Panama Canal: Island or Caribbean Princess?

sexyaznboy

Hey guys

Trying to decide between Island Princess or Caribbean Princess for 10 day partial transit for Panama Canal in October. Seems to be a very similar itinerary.

Can I get opinions on which one is the better ship? In my research, Island was built for the Canal, but reviews have been negative on the changes since dry dock, such as massive additions of cabins leading to crowding and lack of International Cafe. Caribbean Princess also has had propulsion issues which may be a problem for timing at ports around the Canal. But they also have had a massive refurbishment, with mainly positive reviews.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

My personal choice would be for a full rather than partial transit.

But given your choices, unless you have strong feelings about the new locks over the old I would still recommend Island Princess. Yes Island has had cabins added at the expense of public spaces, but there still will be 800-900 fewer passengers than on Caribbean. I will be on Island in Alaska in two months and do not expect any issues--though I would make sure Traditional Dining was confirmed at time of booking, and plan to only attend shows and activities during other than the peak after-early-dinner hour.

If you have never sailed the Panama Canal before definitely go with the old locks. The difference between the old and new locks makes the itineraries more dissimilar than you realize.

Personal opinion, After sailing on the Island Princess, I would never sail on her again unless it was the only ship doing that itinerary and I would be unable to ever visit those ports again. Since the butcher job, they have taken so much public space and added so many more cabins that a cruise on the Island has became as enjoyable as work. (n) (n) (n)

Edited by WmFCoyote
Further coment

To me, first choice is which locks. The Caribbean is too big for the old(historic) locks, so goes thru the new ones.

The Island was built to fit in the old locks and just barely makes it.

While the Island is not our favorite ship, we spent 28 days on her last year and had a wonderful time.

Island. While I have not done the canal on Princess, I have done three full transits and one partial. The last transit was through the new locks and while very interesting, does not in any way compare with going through the old locks. Caribbean through the new locks will be fine - after you have done one through the old locks. EM

This response may sound 'convoluted' but if seeing the Canal is your primary purpose the CB will allow you to see old and new. We were disappointed greatly with our 10 day CB partial transit in late Jan but this was more ship/ Princess related than the seeing the canal and had much to do with the subsequent Princess response. That said it did allow entrance into the new canal and with the ship excursion we got to do a partial transit of the old canal.

In short we got our 'fill' of the Canal on one partial transit. It is amazing and we enjoyed the history and small ship view of the old canal and along with entrance into new canal.

In hindsight we would have booked a different line for a partial transit but the ability to see old and new is somewhat unique and given the choices stated in your post would opt to see 'old and new'. JMHO

If you want to see the new locks sail a partial or full on Island or Coral and take a tour. Good visitor center on a hill above the new locks on the Caribbean side.

If you take a partial consider the full transit on a small boat that you can book from Gatun Lake - you can touch the locks and are down inside them.

Coral and Island have an enclosed swimming pool area (Lotus Pool). Nice and cool and you can step outside for viewing.

While I wish they had not removed the aft showroom for cabins, we've been on Island three times since the conversion. Mostly you don't notice the extra people and inability to walk around the back in some areas. Anytime dining early can be a problem, but this is mostly due to having half the dining room used for fixed seating and a quarter used for Club Class. If you dine later it isn't a problem. Coral AND Island are still our favorite ships.

While we liked our full transit cruises, the ports on the Pacific side are a LONG way from tour destinations and the new Puerto Chiapas is a joke. The partials give a decent Panama experience and have a lot to do in the Caribbean ports.

Trying to decide between Island Princess or Caribbean Princess for 10 day partial transit for Panama Canal in October. Seems to be a very similar itinerary.

As mentioned before, you have to decide if you want to go through the "old locks" or "new locks". If this is probably going to be your only trip to the canal, I would take the Island, although it is not the ship it used to be. If you are more interested in the ship, and not the destination, take the Caribbean. The Caribbean has many more amenities, and you will be less crowded than on the Island.

I did the partial transit in Feb on the caribbean Princess. The propulsion problems caused the ship to have a lot of noise and vibration and very shortened ports. I would choose the island if i were you.

Just got off of Caribbean Princess - 14 day cruise. We didn't notice any extra vibration nor did we have any issues with the speed of the ship. Yes, it has a slightly reduced speed but it didn't bother us at all and most had no idea it was even an "issue". Island is the last Princess ship I would book but, if your choice is old locks vs new locks and you will never repeat the cruise, you may well want to choose the old locks and go with Island. (Coral is the ideal ship for the old locks but it sounds as if it doesn't meet your needs.) I wouldn't hesitate to book Caribbean Princess if the old vs new locks isn't an issue.