Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I agree with so many of the comments here.

Aside from the silly granny panties - Gretchen has some extremely saleable looks, and I'd personally like to own some of them (even though I'm a non-granola chewing, high heel wearing city slickah). That said, it's not high fashion, it's everyday stuff, and she didn't deserve to win. If the judges changed the point of the game so that they no longer wanted "runway fashion", it was their obligation to say so.

I too thought that Mondo was the slam-dunk winner. However, he, and Andy and Michael will definitely have strong careers. Personally I think that Michael deserved to be there more than Andy. For his final looks Any shows the judges an ugly bathing suit??? Oh c'mon!

iheartbed - thanks so much for posting that Tim Gunn video . So enlightening!

I wonder if the producers of Project Runway come to this forum and read the comments posted here. They really should-----it would enlighten them.

Perhaps it's time to "Auf" Heidi, Nina, and Michael Kors for new judges.

I like Heidi, but is she a judge too or is her role strictly the host?

• 1 month later...
I recent saw an announcement on "Lifetime," about a new children's show for Heidi. Does this mean that Project Runway is over?

I don't know the answer, but in my imagination I can see Heidi "auf-ing" the last kid that gets picked for the relay-race team.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone watch the start of the new season last night?

I liked that there was little discussion of the models, and it seemed that even though there were 16 "looks" on the Runway, it seemed they spent more time than usual showing their walk down the runway and back.

To keep this a cruise-worthy subject, I thought there were a few cute looks for a cruise, including short dresses from Becky, Bert (the winner!) and a really cute nautical-themed one from Viktor.

(You can see all the looks here: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-9/rate-the-runway/episode-1#id=1)

I watched both the preview and the first episode. I thought a couple of the "unremarkable" designs were actually the best.... Becky and Victor did cute little dresses that really looked like they could be bought in a store.

A couple of designers who's samples I liked were axed in the first four but sometimes my opinion is way off the judges'.

I actually didn't like Anthony's skirt at all..... changing from feathers to that block of lace didn't eliminate the whole "pubic" image that Tim warned him about.

Either way I am happy the show is starting again.

I watched both the preview and the first episode. I thought a couple of the "unremarkable" designs were actually the best.... Becky and Victor did cute little dresses that really looked like they could be bought in a store.

A couple of designers who's samples I liked were axed in the first four but sometimes my opinion is way off the judges'.

I actually didn't like Anthony's skirt at all..... changing from feathers to that block of lace didn't eliminate the whole "pubic" image that Tim warned him about.

Either way I am happy the show is starting again.

We're sure on the same page -- especially if the cut designer you liked was David Chun (or something similar). I had him pegged as the winner (it's a little game DH and I do -- from very first exposure, pick the winner). haha

We're sure on the same page -- especially if the cut designer you liked was David Chun (or something similar). I had him pegged as the winner (it's a little game DH and I do -- from very first exposure, pick the winner). haha

I did like David Chum's designs.... he had a couple of jackets and dresses I liked. You and I may be agreeing a lot this season :)

In fact, here are my favorites from past seasons, mostly underdogs, based on what I would wear and not necessarily who is the most talented-

1. Austin Scarlett

2. Nick Varreos

3. Laura Bennett

4. Romey Kashou

5. Leanne Marshall

6. Shirin Askari

7. Anthony Williams

8. Michael Costello

I have great respect for Christian Siriano and for Mondo Guerra, and I think they are the most talented designers, but not my personal style KWIM?

I did like David Chum's designs.... he had a couple of jackets and dresses I liked. You and I may be agreeing a lot this season :)

In fact, here are my favorites from past seasons, mostly underdogs, based on what I would wear and not necessarily who is the most talented-

1. Austin Scarlett

2. Nick Varreos

3. Laura Bennett

4. Romey Kashou

5. Leanne Marshall

6. Shirin Askari

7. Anthony Williams

8. Michael Costello

I have great respect for Christian Siriano and for Mondo Guerra, and I think they are the most talented designers, but not my personal style KWIM?

I think it was Nick that did one of my all-time favorite dresses -- inspired by gutter water.

Was a bit surprised by two things this week:

1. That blue fluffy number didn't go home.

2. I agreed with Heidi about what should have won. Loved the neckline treatment.

I seldom agree with Heidi.

I was surprised at both the winner and the loser also.... I was SURE that what ended up being the winning design was going to get called out on the carpet for making her butt look big with that wide, stiff skirt. That always seems to be the number one faux pas on this show is making the model look like she has a big butt. Apparently that rule doesn't apply this season.

I remember the gutter water dress... and I think you're right, it probably was Nick.

1st show: I just couldn't get past the fact that the poor model had to wear a pair of worn undershorts as part of her dress, ugh. I do hope he washed them out so she wouldn't have to be smelling like his rear end. She deserved the win just for having to wear a strangers underpants on her chest and shoulder.

2nd show: fairly typical of the shows that deal with alternative materials, muslin covered with whatever they can find to make a little dress. In the past there have been some clever variations, odd materials adapted to actually make a material.

At this point of the show I have no preference as to who goes and who stays. None of them have been all that creative or annoying yet ;)

It does take a few weeks to really get to know the designers and how they design, I haven't formed any opinion on any of them (design skills) so far. The only thing I've wondered about is the sincerity of Anya...did she lie a bit about her sewing skills or was she just a fast learner to pick it up in a mere 3 months?

As always, I watch the runway show and have a completely different view than the judges as far as things they state are "modern" or "youthful". Much of it looks like cheesy Forever 21 clothing to me. But with severe time limitations it's tough for the competitors to manage to make anything with style and class. I don't sew a lot but I know how difficult it can be, it's such a shame they have so little time to achieve their final product.

I wonder if it is like Top Chef, where the actual competition only takes about a month to tape, then they spread the highly edited production over 12 weeks. I recently read this from an interview with Tom Colliccio, when he was criticized for taking off so much time from his restaurants to mentor and judge the competition. He stated it was only a month that he was gone.

My guess would be the designers are doing 3 competitions a week with no time off. Grueling :o

I wonder if it is like Top Chef, where the actual competition only takes about a month to tape, then they spread the highly edited production over 12 weeks. I recently read this from an interview with Tom Colliccio, when he was criticized for taking off so much time from his restaurants to mentor and judge the competition. He stated it was only a month that he was gone.

My guess would be the designers are doing 3 competitions a week with no time off. Grueling :o

Pretty much all these reality/competition/game shows are filmed in about a month. Wearing folks out and stressing them to the nth degree is where the drama comes from (along with some selective casting, of course). Then there's the call back for the finalists that's a separate taping all together.

When you read credits after the show, I know I've read the outcome is also decided by the producers. Probably why the most annoying characters keep moving forward.

I think it would be awesome if the final winner was voted on by the viewing public.

I watched the full season of the show "Platinum Hits", the torture is finally over, it was a horrid show. Sure enough, one of the least talented but most obnoxious person made it all the way to 4th place. If he would have made it to the final 3, I would not have watched the finale. I am still wondering why the heck I even watched it. I take pride in the fact I've not watched a housewife, jersey shore or the majority of other "reality" shows. Unless there is some talent involved I don't see the point of watching the shows where no one gets along and they just bicker. Boring.

Edited by Happy ks
Sp

Having raised 2 kids, I have no need to watch bickering nor phony drama. I like to record Project Runway so I can fast forward the commentary when they start to get whiney.

I am addicted to the show since I used to sew a lot. I'm amazed with some of the designers who can fit and drape fabric. Rami was the very best. I wish they would toss out the designers who use safety pins, glue or staples!

. . . I am addicted to the show since I used to sew a lot. I'm amazed with some of the designers who can fit and drape fabric. Rami was the very best. I wish they would toss out the designers who use safety pins, glue or staples!

Happy KS, I also used to sew a lot, which is why I can't believe that Anya has only been sewing a few months and managed to make those pants on the first show. I had been sewing for three YEARS and couldn't make pants like that!

Technical question: when they are designing on the mannequins, they use some red or green "tape" to make lines on the mannequins. What is it that they are doing? Are they making the "outline" of the dress, so they can then make their pattern pieces? You see it in every episode, every year.

Oh that is awesome.... and it looks like it is going to be a whole series rather than a two-part special like last time. I don't recognize the judge's names but maybe it will be nice to have a break from Nina and MK.

Hey, Ginny -- some of your faves are coming to the next all-stars.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway-all-stars

And they dang well better be nicer to Gordana this time around (tho she looks a fright in the pic).

I will be looking forward to that show!

It would be fun if Chris were one of the all stars!