Project Runway?

BlueHerons

On 4/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, jklc123 said:

Just watched the most recent episode. All I can say is good riddance--what an attitude!

Are you talking about Afa? 🤨 I thought he was one of the nicest contestants and might have won!

Oooh, I really was not happy with the most recent episode - the Survival one. It seemed cruel to me to not only force the designers to sleep and work in 40 degree temperatures (lower at night!) with wind and rain, but to require the models to strip in the cold wind several times to be fitted, then walk the runway and stand freezing and shivering while the outfits were being critiqued and discussed. 

Horrible!!! 

I did not think the looks that met the survival challenge were attractive at all, and the attractive ones were completely non- survivable!

Bad, bad episode, IMO.   

1 hour ago, SeagoingMom said:

Oooh, I really was not happy with the most recent episode - the Survival one. It seemed cruel to me to not only force the designers to sleep and work in 40 degree temperatures (lower at night!) with wind and rain, but to require the models to strip in the cold wind several times to be fitted, then walk the runway and stand freezing and shivering while the outfits were being critiqued and discussed. 

Horrible!!! 

I did not think the looks that met the survival challenge were attractive at all, and the attractive ones were completely non- survivable!

Bad, bad episode, IMO.   

I totally agree with you. I think it was a useless episode and totally pointless.

Laura

On 4/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, SeagoingMom said:

Horrible!!! 

Bad, bad episode, IMO.   

I agree as well. A complete mess. Not knowing when this was taped, it could have been an unexpected cold snap. Judging from the freshness of the yellow leaves it looked like early fall. Fall used to be my favorite time to camp; crisp in the morning, warm in the day. They might have had everything scheduled/paid for/set up and no backup plan. I'm holding that as an excuse, because otherwise there is none.

I really thought the winning look would be the losing look. ha ha ha

I just finished binge watching all the Project Runways that are available through the Lifetime app. Seasons 11-16. Seeing all of them in a row like that really helped me to understand the judges POVs and comments. One thing that I found to be really interesting was how consistent the judges were during these seasons...Nina especially. Real or imagined...addressing the spirit of the challenge was usually high on the judging criteria. With this in mind...I'm not surprised at all by the winning look. While I don't believe that it was "high fashion"...it was survival gear and it was somewhat innovative. 

I agree that the timing of the weather was unfortunate...but it was also supposed to provide the inspiration for the challenge. The outfits created should have been able to "survive" such weather, I suppose. So those designers that didn't create an outfit that was warm for their models really missed the mark...and probably not what was intended by the challenge.

Other than the weather...I quite enjoyed the episode. PR has gone camping in the past...a big twist to have them transfer the work room to the camp site as well.

What I noticed for the first time was during the credits. Something that I am not sure was every openly admitted on previous seasons/episodes. The fine print that flashed on the screen said:

"Winning and elimination decisions were made by the Judges in consultation with the producers. Some elimination decisions were discussed with Bravo."

I don't know if I'm happy and pleased to see the show own up to the fact that judging decisions are likely based on the entertainment value the contestants bring to the show or frustrated that this is true. With that said, the very sweet young man with the accent...always happy...will likely be on the show for a long time.

The caveat on judges decisions has been in the credits of every show I've watched. Common to see something like this in the credits of elimination reality shows. It does make one wonder just how fair the shows are.

As a viewer, I am not concerned about the "fairness" of the competition as long as the participants are fully informed about the rules.  And they MUST be informed or Bravo would leave itself open to lawsuits, it seems to me. I am watching for the entertainment value, and Bravo is presenting the show for that purpose -- that is the business they are in. 

Regarding the "Street Looks" episode -- I guess I have no idea what "street wear" is -- don't folks wear anything and everything on the street?  The designs were so "all over the place" that I still feel I have no idea what street wear is -- though of course I could Google the term to see if there is an agreed-upon definition in the fashion industry. So often on PR if the designers work with or are introduced to someone in the industry, they get a portfolio of their looks, which certainly would have helped me as well as Colombian and Syrian designers who had no clue what street wear is in the US.

To some extent I agree with jklc123, since it seemed to me that for this particular challenge, Kovid's look, though bad, was at least finished and had a "story" behind it (even though the story really had nothing to do with the challenge). Jamall's  "tea party" dress  -- as Christian rightly described it -- had absolutely nothing to do with street style (or any style at all, IMO). His overly-philosophical "I'm going to create a luxurious Baroque-style dress to show what kind of life people like me could never have had in the past but now can" backstory resulted in an ugly, ill-fitting and unfinished mess!  I really felt badly for him that though he chose a fabric everyone seemed to say was beautiful, he never, ever changed his plan about what to do with it -- even after Christian's straight-arrow critique. We'll see how long he lasts in the competition.

But as long as I've watched PR (many, many seasons) there was always a bit of an inconsistency in the judging -- was elimination based on the specific look for that challenge, or on the potential the judges felt the designer had to do better in spite of one particular failure?  In this case the judges seemed to have decided based on the latter.

That being said, I was thrilled to see that whiny, self-centered little baby Kovid gone. I never cared for his designs or his personality, which seemed to be featured on every episode, while others -- Sonia, for example -- have been almost completely ignored.  I am beginning to wonder if I should expect that the designer who gets the most camera time on each episode is the one who is going to be eliminated immediately, or soon... it seemed to happen in the first episode as well -- the elimination of Cavanagh Baker.

I want to go on record as really liking the Bravo changes. The workroom/sewing area is so much more creative, open and inspiring. Before it looked like the blandest hotel meeting room ever. But it's nothing compared to the "waiting area," where safe designers hang. It's like someone's home hosting a casual party and it encourages interaction instead of each designer sitting glumly on a couch.

I was a bit concerned about Christian at first (because I love him) but he is keeping it real for sure now. It seems like he spends more time in the workroom than Tim did. We're seeing more of his very solid critiques (in two rounds), and I like that he's around when the models are there. I LOVED when he called out the three designers lounging over a meal. I remember his season -- he as always first to finish then he'd go "visiting" the other designers (which was probably annoying but showed his curiosity -- he was only 21). That man has a phenomenal work ethic.

I like that there are various sized models. I like that the models are identified and talked about. I like that we see the bit where everyone is still doing final snips and stitches before the show. I like that the models stay on the runway for the up-close looks and the judges aren't as handsy (like Zac Posen) with them. I like that when the workroom looks like a real workroom, with stuff everywhere, when the losing designer goes in to "pack."

I don't know who wan on the decision making team, but they made solid changes.

As to streetwear, when Jamall explained his look I immediately flashed on a velvet hoodie with slashed Elizabethan-style sleeves and that beautiful print puffing through the slashes and lining the hood. Now that would have been lux streetwear. Wish I could design. I'd make it for myself. ha ha

• Like 1

I really like the changes too. PR has been needing an update...and it has a bit of a feeling of the first seasons with the way that the models aren't being assigned and with the winner having first model choice. Remember when the models used to all line up on the runway and the designers would go through and pick? There used to be a lot more model drama in the early seasons. I don't miss that...

Christian does seem to hang out for longer in the work room...I wonder if the more spacious work room helps with that? The old workroom seemed really cramped for space.

Do you sew SeaBunny? I can but I'm inexperienced. I've been thinking about things I want though...and knowing that I don't have the design skills...I have been looking at patterns with the idea of combining the bits and bobs into the look that I want. This sleeve with that front panel, etc. Make this alteration to the collar or neckline, etc. I love your hoodie idea! 

I think there is always a bit of focus on winners and losers in the airing of unscripted series. I notice the same thing on Top Chef. I think it's the nature of the show...with so many contestants, and limited air time, there's no way to really get to know all the contestants...they have to focus in on the ones that get the critiques and we the viewer of such things can start to guess which designs will be on the top and the bottom. Hopefully, it will be less easy to guess those as the contestant pool gets smaller and there's more time to show what everyone is doing.

Oh...I do like that new screen a lot. The composite flashes that show what the safe designers had on the runway. Nice addition.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, Anita Latte said:

Do you sew SeaBunny? I can but I'm inexperienced. I've been thinking about things I want though...and knowing that I don't have the design skills...I have been looking at patterns with the idea of combining the bits and bobs into the look that I want. This sleeve with that front panel, etc. Make this alteration to the collar or neckline, etc. I love your hoodie idea! 

I used to sew quite a bit; made many of my clothes in high school and college, sewed all the curtains for my first house, made my bellydance costumers (no patterns for the last two). But then came decades of not sewing and now I have a hard time just getting the tension set right. ha ha

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose “elegant” can be a bit subjective, but... Hester certainly took advantage of having immunity. She may be able to do some amazing construction, but her taste certainly is different from mine! I liked the winning look, though I am not sure it would be practical. So often I find myself asking how a car seat belt would work with some of those garments.

8 hours ago, SeaBunny said:

The winner should give Christian a big hug for insisting he quit messing with muslin and drape his fabric.

My thoughts exactly - I think his win was basically ALL Christian. 

Now I am VERY curious to see whether Jamall revolutionizes his design methods after having success by letting go!

I don't think his win was ALL Christian, though I do think that Christian's influence was key to his win. He has been trying so hard...trying to do things "right" and be very methodical and thinking things through rather than flowing in his design process and trusting that his flow will produce a quality output without all the forethought. I haven't used a muslin trial for patterns...and I think if you always do, you can miss out on opportunities because I don't think the muslin fabric responds like all fabrics do. Fashion fabric will drape and hold structure and simple behave in a way that muslin won't simply because of the difference in the fabric's construction.

I liked this challenge a lot. The one lady that was worried about making the oversized clothing for her curvy model...I think that she did create a very elegant look. Elegance is not just about gowns...I would have liked to have seen more looks that were less gown-like.

One thing that I've noticed is that it feels like the designers are getting more time with the challenges. I'm thinking that Bravo and/or the producers of PR are trying to open up new sources of revenue with these flash sales. Has anyone looked to see what those are about? How closely the garments being sold are to the winning designer's design? And how much they cost? I think the longer time for the challenges is encourage garment production that is more worthy of being sold and more attractive to the viewing audience so that PR can be a bit of a profit maker. Maybe to recoup the cost of the new facilities for show production?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm really enjoying this season. The people get along & seem to really like each other.

The Elton John outfits were great! Both my DD & I can hardly wait to see the movie.

I really like Christian as a mentor.

Looking forward to next week's show.

~ Jo ~ 😊

I was miffed by the judges dismissal of Garo Sparo's bee cause.

If bees disappear we all die, because they pollinate our food (and the food of the animals we eat). Granted, I didn't care for his dress design and his shirt communicated nothing, but his cause is every bit as valid as the others. No bees, it doesn't matter about discrimination in any form. 

Now, if he'd gone with something representing fruit/grain/veggies they might have gotten it.

Hmmmmm......lack of bees, lack of flowers, lack of color. In a nut shell possibly a lack of food. I’d design a dress that has a lack of color.  A dress in vertical stripes of black, whites, gray, winter colors. Sort of what the vegetation looks like after a fire.  Perhaps a touch of yellow to indicate the possibility of nature replenished. 

I cant believe I’m writing about Project Runway on CC!

On that note; while we watch PR for entertainment it’s good, IMO, PR is addressing social issues, I don’t feel too guilty watching the show. Over and over and over👀

Ann