buying wifi?

39august

you can buy an "internet for a day" package; or a package of 240 minutes which may be used throughout the cruise (you are only charged for time you are logged on); or you can buy unlimited internet. The 240 minute package is $99....the unlimited varies by the length of the cruise and I don't recall the 24 hour plan cost.

I tried buying my wifi yesterday (cruise planner) but it is very confusing. I read somewhere that X is getting the surf and stream wifi that we enjoyed on Royal - fabulous! This to me means you need packages that are bought per number of devices. But all I can see for my upcoming cruise is a $249 per person charge with zero info on how many minutes or what speed I'm buying.

I tried buying my wifi yesterday (cruise planner) but it is very confusing. I read somewhere that X is getting the surf and stream wifi that we enjoyed on Royal - fabulous! This to me means you need packages that are bought per number of devices. But all I can see for my upcoming cruise is a $249 per person charge with zero info on how many minutes or what speed I'm buying.

$249 buys you one unlimited use, userid and password....for your cruise (some cruises cost more or less depending on the number of days). You can use that userid and password on any device, but you can only have one device signed on at a time. If you want to be able to sign on more than one device at the same time, there is a reduced price (I don't know the actual cost) to add another account.

There are a few places on the ship where you can't get a wifi signal, so you can't use your device. One of those is, annoyingly, your balcony!!!

The Cruise Planner only allows you to prepurchase a unlimited internet package. The $249 would be for 1 package meaning you can only have one device connected at a time. So if you and your traveling companion wanted to both use the package only one of you could be connect at a time.

The unlimited price in the Cruise Planner has been 10% lower than if purchased on the ship. If you Elite or Elite+ in the Captains Club you can fiorfeit you free 90 or 240 minutes for discount off the $249.

If that is the case, it's insanely expensive. When I selected internet for all four of us it came to $996!!!

On Royal, they charge 17.00 per day for surf and stream for 4 devices.

There has to be a better way to buy a 4-device plan through Celebrity?????????

Is it possible to buy wifi access by the day for a few days? If so, how much per day, please? Or any other way to purchase rather than for the entire cruise?

I seem to recall reading that you are an Elite member of Captain's Club based upon your Crown & Anchor status with Royal Caribbean...

Elite members each receive a 90 minute internet allowance [it need not be used in a single session; do be sure to log off after each session] per cruise... Alternatively, Elite members can forego the allowance and instead receive a 30% discount against the purchase of an unlimited internet package...

Wow, Xport. It's amazing you remembered that! Thanks for sharing the Elite perk. Thirty percent off will help a lot. And thanks to all for giving me so much information. I asked because I see that the current on board offer is just 1 perk for the Feb. 2020 cruise I am looking at. I will be booking while on board the Liberty in about 3 weeks.

So, i went back to my cruise planner and its not $249, it's $269.

I called X and they said it is a 2-device package, of course this is only as good as the word of the person I'm speaking to, it is not referenced anywhere in the cruise planner as a 2-device package.

This comes to $538 for a 4-device package, if the person I spoke with is correct.

• Surf & Stream Voom

• 1 device: $19.99 per day, per device

• 2 devices: $18.99 per day, per device

• 4 devices: $16.99 per day, per device

• Single Day Pass: $29.99 per day, per device

[*]Surf

• 1 device: $15.99 per day, per device

• 2 devices: $14.99 per day, per device

• 4 devices: $12.99 per day, per device

• Single Day Pass: $22.99 per day, per device

So, a 4 device surf and stream through Royal would be $187. $187 or $538..... how can two related cruise lines be so different in pricing? And if it is a 2-device package, why don't they state this on their website?

Wish i knew this before booking Summit over Anthem :rolleyes:

Assuming I want to spend $538, I'm likely to get on board and find out it was only ever a 1-device package.

Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to purchase internet for every device. You can log off one device and log on another and that is considered one device. In other words, it is how many devices in use at one time, not how many devices you may log in and out of. Unless you feel the need for everyone in your family to be connected 100% of the time I suggest you share the package.

I guess. But it just seems like a pain in the neck to be logging on an off.

If I can get an email from X saying that the 269.00 is a two device package .... what are the chances of that email being honoured on board.

I need connectivity for work. I guess DH and the kids will have to share the other logon.

lol, is it wrong to want a 4-device package and not have to pay a fortune for it?

If I can get an email from X saying that the 269.00 is a two device package .... what are the chances of that email being honoured on board.

I need connectivity for work. I guess DH and the kids will have to share the other logon.

lol, is it wrong to want a 4-device package and not have to pay a fortune for it?

Not wrong - I think the Wi-Fi prices are outrageous! But it really is not that big a pain in the neck to log off and on. Needing it for work is one thing, but hopefully you and your family will be having so much fun on the cruise you won't feel the need to be on the internet much. :)

I firmly believe that the two device answer you were given is woefully incorrect. It's always been 1 device, on one account logged in at a time. The second package, if purchased is heavily discounted but I don't recall how much. DH and I make do with the 90 minutes each or a package that we share. Each Elite member of Captains Club (diamond on Royal) gets a choice of 90 free minutes or 30% discount. That 30% is not available on the already discounted pre-cruise sale price, but on the on board price which is at least 10% higher.

Why do you need wifi when you are on a cruise? Get off your devices and enjoy the vacation. I put the phone in the safe on embarkation day and take it out the morning we disembark.

It is a personal decision and not for us to judge. Some need it for work. Some need it to keep in touch with family. I recently had two brothers have serious strokes during my travels. I used the Wi-Fi to keep in touch and find out how they were doing. Others just like being able to keep on top of email, or the like. If you don't want it, you don't need to buy it.

I firmly believe that the two device answer you were given is woefully incorrect. It's always been 1 device, on one account logged in at a time. The second package, if purchased is heavily discounted but I don't recall how much. DH and I make do with the 90 minutes each or a package that we share. Each Elite member of Captains Club (diamond on Royal) gets a choice of 90 free minutes or 30% discount. That 30% is not available on the already discounted pre-cruise sale price, but on the on board price which is at least 10% higher.

That's what I'm afraid of. IT doesn't say 2-device anywhere. And when I selected four guests (thinking that would trigger reduced pricing) it just added the full price x 4 to my cart.

Now that I think about it we will be on a port intensive US/Can sailing. I think I would be better of paying the $7 per day roaming fee when we are in port in the US, and hot spotting the kids. When we are in Canada, my normal plan kicks in. We have 6 days in US ports and 3 days in Canadian ports. I can buy the 24 hour plan for the two days at sea. Does anyone know what that costs?

Sorry, Celebrity, you're too greedy and I'm too cheap.

1. I would not count on being able to use two devices at the same time with only one package. (Which would be one Log in name and password)

2. On most cruises I have seen a special on board to buy one package and get another package at 50% off. I do not know if you can use this for three more log ins/passwords (devices at the same time). But if you are planning on buying more than one package I suggest you wait until you are on board.

3. You do not need to logout with the unlimited package. If you try to use the same package (log in) on another device the system will give you the option to logout on the other device, so you can finish your log in. Very easy.

So the bottom line is that you can use an unlimited number of devices, but just not all of them at the same time. One device per log in (package) at a time.

Hopefully this is helpful and do not hesitate to ask for more clarification.

1. I would not count on being able to use two devices at the same time with only one package. (Which would be one Log in name and password)

2. On most cruises I have seen a special on board to buy one package and get another package at 50% off. I do not know if you can use this for three more log ins/passwords (devices at the same time). But if you are planning on buying more than one package I suggest you wait until you are on board.

3. You do not need to logout with the unlimited package. If you try to use the same package (log in) on another device the system will give you the option to logout on the other device, so you can finish your log in. Very easy.

So the bottom line is that you can use an unlimited number of devices, but just not all of them at the same time. One device per log in (package) at a time.

Hopefully this is helpful and do not hesitate to ask for more clarification.

Good to know that they offer a deal on board - thank you. Do you know what they charge for the 24 hour package?

With Royal's VOOM, you get one login and pw. But if you bought a 4 device package, 4 people can use it at the same time. If we all have our ipads connected and I try to connect my cell phone, then one of us would have to logout on our ipad. At least for Royal, they can issue multiple devices on one u/n and pw.

Hoping celebrity gets with the program before we sail, if not, I will stick to just using my phone roaming plan while I'm in port.

As it happens i called captains club today to see if i could get the elite discount on a pre-cruise purchase of an internet package. I did, and the extremely helpful young lady told me that up to 4devices can now use it.

Thats just verbal for now, but i can let you know in 10 days how it worked out

Why do you need wifi when you are on a cruise? Get off your devices and enjoy the vacation. I put the phone in the safe on embarkation day and take it out the morning we disembark.

Some people need it for business or family reasons or just like to be in touch. It doesn't matter why. :eek:

Good to know that they offer a deal on board - thank you. Do you know what they charge for the 24 hour package?

With Royal's VOOM, you get one login and pw. But if you bought a 4 device package, 4 people can use it at the same time. If we all have our ipads connected and I try to connect my cell phone, then one of us would have to logout on our ipad. At least for Royal, they can issue multiple devices on one u/n and pw.

Hoping celebrity gets with the program before we sail, if not, I will stick to just using my phone roaming plan while I'm in port.

The Royal’s voom program is certainly better for families.

Sorry I do not know the cost for the 24 hour package. I have never had just a 24 hour package. No one has answered this question for you. You might want to find s thread from someone currently in a cruise and ask them.

I would suggest you consider buying one unlimited package.

As it happens i called captains club today to see if i could get the elite discount on a pre-cruise purchase of an internet package. I did, and the extremely helpful young lady told me that up to 4devices can now use it.

Thats just verbal for now, but i can let you know in 10 days how it worked out ��

That would be a good improvement to the Celebrity Internet Unlimited Package, but I have never read anything on CC about this improvement. The key is whether four devices can be hooked up and used at the same time.

One idea, if you are a little tech savy, is to use a device called a HooToo Tripmate (check Amazon). I've used one in hotels that charge for internet per device, and for streaming devices. You connect it to the Wifi you purchased by logging into their app, which connects to the device, then have all your devices connect to the device. It only works when near it as your phone, laptop,etc. all have to be in range of the little box, but it has a battery, so you could take it with you in a bag and use your phone places. Again, I have NOT done this on the ships, but have used it in hotels so that I could log my Roku into the hotel WiFi (before they added the browser feature), and in Vegas as they were still charging for WiFi the last time I was there.