Using US credit cards in Italy

EllieinNJ

For my med cruise I have only pre booked and paid for one tour. I plan to use public transportation and hoho buses and walk-up tours in other ports. Will they all accept my US (no exchange rate fee) credit card? Also, taxis? Or do I need to get euros for these. I will get some euros for dining and misc. but don't want to carry too much cash on us.

I wish there was a simple answer, but as a frequent international traveler you always hope for the best...but also have back-up if things do not work :). Our US issued credit cards (which all now have chips) do generally work throughout Italy (and most of Europe). Most merchants used to dealing with tourists understand that most US cards do not have a PIN...and their little credit card machines will spit out a paper receipt (which must be signed).

But, just in case your cards would fail you....be prepared. We also carry 3 different ATM/Debit cards (each connected to a different bank/account) which have never failed us :). Being prepared is just part of the travel game. And even with all or our experience we are sometimes surprised. For example, while driving through France we discovered that our Credit Cards worked fine for paying tolls in Southern France (using cards at toll booths is very common in Europe) but refused to work in Northern France. We later found out that the French toll roads are operated by 2 different private companies...and one accepts US cards while the other does not! Go figure.

Speaking of Italy, this is still a country where quite a few cute cafes/restaurants are cash only. So if you plan on using plastic...make sure to check before you sit down.

Hank

In Northern Europe credit cards can be used for just about anything. In the Med it's a bit of a mixed bag. You can't always count on a taxi driver accepting a credit card payment, or a bus or other forms of public transportation. (Sometimes you can use a credit card in a machine to get a bus or metro ticket, but that can also be problematic unless you have a chip and pin card...)

The best idea is to have some cash but also an ATM account that you can use to draw more as needed.

For your credit card(s) it is best to have at least one that has a chip and pin (or at least chip and signature) and also one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee -- basically a small percentage of every charge you make, taken by your bank for the 'work' involved in doing a foreign conversion. There are quite a few credit cards marketed to travelers that do not have this fee -- do a little research online and you'll find more info.

For my med cruise I have only pre booked and paid for one tour. I plan to use public transportation and hoho buses and walk-up tours in other ports. Will they all accept my US (no exchange rate fee) credit card? Also, taxis? Or do I need to get euros for these. I will get some euros for dining and misc. but don't want to carry too much cash on us.

Get some euros and use those left over for ship tips now or in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even in the USA I would not rely on taxis to take cards because often their systems are down.

As mentioned, I would have Euros on hand which you can get from an ATM machine.

We do use Credit Cards in the Med or pretty much wherever we travel for most purchases. Use one without an international transaction fee and have a backup just in case you run into issues with that card being compromised and when I say being compromised it could have happened just prior to your trip for a purchase made back home.

Keith

Even in the USA I would not rely on taxis to take cards because often their systems are down.

:') That´s what happend to us in Miami. Had to pay 50 bucks in cash...

No, you can´t rely on credit cards in Italy. For small amounts they might not accept a credit card. Ticket machines might not accept your card as you don´t have a pin. You definitely need some cash as a back up. Buy the HoHo bus tickets in advance online. Makes it easier.

steamboats

Thank you for the useful info on this thread. In regards to euros we are in the process of buying some for our Med cruise leaving in 3 weeks. I have been watching the exchange rates the last several months and have noticed it has been hovering right around 1.23 the whole time. Now that I am shopping to buy some euros, all the banks in the area where I live are quoting me anywhere from 1.30 to 1.34 plus some as high as $20 transaction fee to purchase. What is an acceptable amount to pay to buy euros? And if I purchase 500 euros what denominations would you get them in?

Your most favorable rate would be to use an in country ATM.

However even if you pay a premium getting them at home we are not talking about a major amount by having an unfavorable rate.

When I get from banks in the USA they usually give me two options; large bills or small ones. I take small ones.

If you have the option to specify I would get a few $50.00 notes and the rest $20's and $10's.

Keith

Thank you for the useful info on this thread. In regards to euros we are in the process of buying some for our Med cruise leaving in 3 weeks. I have been watching the exchange rates the last several months and have noticed it has been hovering right around 1.23 the whole time. Now that I am shopping to buy some euros, all the banks in the area where I live are quoting me anywhere from 1.30 to 1.34 plus some as high as $20 transaction fee to purchase. What is an acceptable amount to pay to buy euros? And if I purchase 500 euros what denominations would you get them in?

This is the problem frequently discussed around the boards here. Some banks, AAA, etc claim to not charge exchange fees. But then they have exchange rates that, like you cite, are 10% or better above the ATM/bank to bank rates. Conversely, if you use a ATM with fees (there are some ATMs with not fees as well), you might pay, for example, a $5 fee, and the bank to bank rate. For 200 euros, that is approximately 2%.

That is why in country ATMs, fee or not, are the recommended place to get local currencies.

Don't get any euro notes larger than 20 euro.

You will likely face issues using large denomination bills unless you are purchasing something that is close to the face value. (For example, a 50 euro bill to pay for a 40 euro lunch should be fine, but using it to buy a couple of sodas and a postcard may not fly....)

Merchants tend to be suspicious of larger bills. I'd opt for mostly 20s and below.

All have given good advice. I would add that if you buy from your bank, which is our preferred way, make sure to give the bank a week to get your currency. Ours requires you order from them and they delivered it to our home by courier.

Also, make sure the credit card companies know you will be going out of the country.

Deb

If you purchase foreign currency from your bank, ask if they will buy-back any paper money you bring home. Most banks will do it but the rate will probably be slightly lower than the rate they used when you purchased the currency. Most banks will not buy-back your leftover coins, so spend them at the last minute or bring them home for souvenirs (or as gifts for the kids!)

Liz

You will likely face issues using large denomination bills unless you are purchasing something that is close to the face value. (For example, a 50 euro bill to pay for a 40 euro lunch should be fine, but using it to buy a couple of sodas and a postcard may not fly....)

Merchants tend to be suspicious of larger bills. I'd opt for mostly 20s and below.

Yes to this, and when I get money out of the bancomat, I always choose an amount that can’t be broken into all 50s, like €240.

Is using an ATM in Europe the same as using one in the U.S.? That is, do you use the pin the same? Don't have to do anything unusual?

It seems pretty similar to me. Most ATMs will ask if you want to change the language, which helps a lot. The few that don’t are usually easy enough to figure out. The messages they give if something goes wrong are pretty random. Quite often we get a message that our PIN is incorrect, when what they really mean is that bancomat doesn’t accept foreign cards. You probably won’t find that in larger towns with more tourists.

Is using an ATM in Europe the same as using one in the U.S.? That is, do you use the pin the same? Don't have to do anything unusual?

It's pretty much the same. Be sure you have a 4-digit pin. (Some US bank cards used to accept 6-digit pins.) And also be sure you know your pin by numbers not letters as the keypads on ATM machines will only have numbers.

Let your bank know that you'll be traveling overseas, otherwise they may freeze your card when you try to use it (due to suspected fraudulent use).

We picked up our euros from our local bank yesterday. Best I was able to do was 1.30 plus a $10 transaction fee for a total of $660 for 500 euros. I got about half my euros in 20's and the other half in smaller bills. Although I paid a little bit more than I had planned, this bank agreed to repurchase any unused euros.

We are planning to use our credit cards wherever possible. We have already prepaid excursions in Cannes and Florence/Pisa, and HOHO in Palma. We plan of doing the European approach in Naples and Barcellona and go with the flow and plan and pay as we go. We have prepaid Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and Academia/Statue of David in Florence.

In Naples we are going to use either high speed ferries to do a round trip circuit between the cruiseship and Sorrento on to Capri back to the cruiseship or bus and or train to Amalfi coast back to Sorrento then high speed ferry back to cruiseship still undecided. In Barcelona we plan on using cab to get to within walking distance of SF and do self guided walking taking in many other tourist opportunities as we make our way back towards the ship.

If we run out of euros what is the best way to get more. Does the cruiseship sell euros or do you have to go to ATM? Would the price to purchase more euros we close to the same as the ones I have already purchased?

Thank you cruisemom for the tip about letting credit card company know you are travelling overseas. We had to use a different credit card on one of our cruises a couple of years ago because I hold was placed on the primary one we were using.

If we run out of euros what is the best way to get more. Does the cruiseship sell euros or do you have to go to ATM? Would the price to purchase more euros we close to the same as the ones I have already purchased?

Guessing you haven't read the thread. ATM in country is the place to get local currency. Depending on your bank fees, it could be as little as 1.23 (today's rates), and absolutely no fees. Ship may (most do) get you euros, but probably at the worst exchange rate (and added fees)you will ever see.

Guessing you haven't read the thread. ATM in country is the place to get local currency. Depending on your bank fees, it could be as little as 1.23 (today's rates), and absolutely no fees. Ship may (most do) get you euros, but probably at the worst exchange rate (and added fees)you will ever see.

I have read this thread and others. Some threads say best place to buy euros is at local banks in USA before going on cruise. I saw the mention of ATM's once our cruiseship either gets to Italy, France or Spain but since I am not there yet we decided to purchase 500 euros to bring with us. Based on your post it sounds like I should have waited and used the ATM's to get euros once we got there.

I have read this thread and others. Some threads say best place to buy euros is at local banks in USA before going on cruise. I saw the mention of ATM's once our cruiseship either gets to Italy, France or Spain but since I am not there yet we decided to purchase 500 euros to bring with us. Based on your post it sounds like I should have waited and used the ATM's to get euros once we got there.

That is the point...the rate at an ATM will be a little less than 1% over the public rate (as of the time I write this it is 1.23), so around 1.24. Your bank might add fees (European ATMs typically don't)...something like $5 for the transaction. Some US banks charge no fees.

The only issue here for you is getting a sum as large as 500 euros. Many ATMs won't allow that, and have varying policies on how you can get around that issue. Some banks and ATMs limit how much you can withdraw in a single transaction (common limit seems to be 200 or 300 euros). To get around that, you just do another transaction. Some impose that limit per day.

That is the point...the rate at an ATM will be a little less than 1% over the public rate (as of the time I write this it is 1.23), so around 1.24. Your bank might add fees (European ATMs typically don't)...something like $5 for the transaction. Some US banks charge no fees.

The only issue here for you is getting a sum as large as 500 euros. Many ATMs won't allow that, and have varying policies on how you can get around that issue. Some banks and ATMs limit how much you can withdraw in a single transaction (common limit seems to be 200 or 300 euros). To get around that, you just do another transaction. Some impose that limit per day.

Our friends we are travelling with have not purchased their euros yet. May be best for them to wait and buy their euros at ATM when we get there. I will also tell them to check with their CC company and see what they will be charged per transaction.

Our friends we are travelling with have not purchased their euros yet. May be best for them to wait and buy their euros at ATM when we get there. I will also tell them to check with their CC company and see what they will be charged per transaction.

Unfortunately, this topic can get a little rough at times to say the least. I would suggest that you and your friends take what advice has been offered and do what makes you feel comfortable. I personally purchase ours before we leave home and we have a card we use to purchase more if needed. I've had my debit card eaten at the ATM at my bank on a Saturday. Had to wait til Monday to get it back. Do what's best for you!