BVE in San Francisco - Update from April, 2018 - Bon Voyage Experience

Smokeyham

Just thought I would post a recap of our Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) today in San Francisco aboard the Grand Princess.

For those who are not familiar with it, the Bon Voyage Experience is a program where people not going on the cruise can go on board the ship for about four hours. The cost is $39 which includes lunch, a glass of wine, an optional tour of the ship, and a souvenir photo.

We parked nearby (pier 19.5) for $22 (booked online in advance).

We were able to board ahead of regular passengers. We arrived at the cruise terminal at about 10:30 am and boarded about 20 minutes later. My friends wanted to see some of the cabins, but the accommodations decks had the fire doors closed - but we were able to peek in to see some cabins on deck 15.

Lunch in the Da Vinci Dining Room was very nice. I've sailed on that class of ship before and so was able to provide a tour of the ship to my friends.

Photos are now picked up from the Purser's desk (Passenger Services desk).

HINTS.....

When you call Princess to make the booking try to get put through to the BVE desk as quickly as possible. The original call taker may well not be familiar with the program and will try to sign you up for a regular cruise.

Your BVE cost can be applied to a future cruise if you book within 90 days of doing the BVE. Note - for this to be true you have to book your cruise after you complete your BVE.

You can buy a Future Cruise Credit while on board. This can be used as a deposit for booking a future cruise, and you get some on board credit for doing so (the amount depends on the type of cabin you book).

When you get your eBoarding pass it will likely say that you board at 1:00 pm.... Ignore that! You have to leave ship around 3:00 pm, and you can arrive around 10:30 am.

The program is a great way to see the ship, and to introduce friends to the possibilities of cruising.

Post back here if you have any questions.

We've done the BVE before in San Francisco and loved it!! I read a post from one man that does it all the time and was able to stack the costs of his BVE onto one sailing. We are plum out of Future Cruise Deposits and have been thinking of heading over to the City for a nice lunch and to purchase some more deposits....but then we booked a sailing for later this month so will just get some at that time. And, it's so nice knowing that friends are more than willing to take us to the pier for a mere $39. If you are thinking of doing a BVE with guests booked on that sailing, be sure to link your booking number with theirs so they can also board early.

And ... the BVE is non-refundable and non-transferable ... also limited to a specified number of passengers.

Thanks everyone!

Yes.... I live in the Bay area, so driving to the San Francisco Terminal works well.

I enjoy the program and think it is good value. If I was booking a cruise out of San Francisco, and they were offering the BVE for that voyage, then I would definitely try and find a friend, who was not doing the cruise, to do the BVE. By doing so you (1) can get on early with them (be sure to have Princess link your reservation to their BVE reservation, and (2) they can bring a bottle of wine on board (and leave it with you!). :)

We parked at Pier 19.5, which works well for a one-day stay but if you have to park a car for the duration of a cruise I understand their is another car park which offers a better deal for longer term parking.

I'm not sure what other cities they offer the BVE in. Perhaps others can advise? I have heard mention of it in Seattle, but am not sure.

That sounds like a really great program! Good value imo.

Thanks so much for sharing this review and explaining it.

Is it available at all departure ports?

It's only available at certain ports. We've done it in San Francisco and San Pedro.

We've done the BVE before in San Francisco and loved it!! I read a post from one man that does it all the time and was able to stack the costs of his BVE onto one sailing. We are plum out of Future Cruise Deposits and have been thinking of heading over to the City for a nice lunch and to purchase some more deposits....but then we booked a sailing for later this month so will just get some at that time. And, it's so nice knowing that friends are more than willing to take us to the pier for a mere $39. If you are thinking of doing a BVE with guests booked on that sailing, be sure to link your booking number with theirs so they can also board early.

And ... the BVE is non-refundable and non-transferable ... also limited to a specified number of passengers.

Yes, I’m the person that did 3 BVE’s in one month to get a generous credit on a new booking. Staff at the terminal would say, “You Again”.

Remember if you’re going there on a cruise out of San Francisco & have friends who book a BVE you get to board early with them, a nice perk. Some people use the BVE as a way to thank friends that drive them to the cruise terminal. Remember to have their reservations linked with yours. Also a good Sail-Away Party with friends.

And as other people have said it’s another way to purchase more Future Cruise Certificates.

A few months I did one with a visiting relative on the Coral Princess, built in France, & it was challenging as the layout was completely different than any other Princess ships I had been on. Enjoyable to see a difference layout.

Tom😀

Yes, I’m the person that did 3 BVE’s in one month to get a generous credit on a new booking. Staff at the terminal would say, “You Again”.

Tom😀

Yes ... it was you that I was referring to. I remember you posting a bunch of pictures, even by the pool. It gave me the idea of just going over to do it on a day when I had nothing else planned. Such great advice.

Yes ... it was you that I was referring to. I remember you posting a bunch of pictures, even by the pool. It gave me the idea of just going over to do it on a day when I had nothing else planned. Such great advice.

Maby we’ll connect some day. Yes a BVE can be an enjoyable day. It could be dangerous for some people who might feel obligated to purchase a cruise so they can recoup there $39.

It could also be away to meet people before a cruise. Kind of like a pre-cruise Meet & Greet.

Tom😎

Maby we’ll connect some day. Yes a BVE can be an enjoyable day. It could be dangerous for some people who might feel obligated to purchase a cruise so they can recoup there $39.

It could also be away to meet people before a cruise. Kind of like a pre-cruise Meet & Greet.

Tom😎

Booking a cruise just to recoup the $39 would never even come into play for us. There are so many really good reasons to book a cruise! The $39 is just the icing on the cake! 🤗

• 4 months later...

For BVE guest, did they need a passport or birth certificate?

(I just got off the phone with a representative and he tried to tell me once you step on the ship you are in international waters ) I know you only need a Drivers License your State's official ID.. just asking to be 100% sure.

(I just got off the phone with a representative and he tried to tell me once you step on the ship you are in international waters ) I know you only need a Drivers License your State's official ID.. just asking to be 100% sure.

All they need is a picture ID (driver's license).

We have brought quite a few people and driver’s license is all they need to show every time.

We did it in Seattle ..son and grandson came on board I do remember they had to fill out paperwork ahead of time ..we got the Grandson who was 4 at the time a Captains Hat to wear and he got several extras a bear and coloring book if I remember ...after we sailed several asked us where the Little Captain was .

Getting on for BVE was very disorganized got on ship at noon..but an enjoyable experience all the same .

You are correct, in that all you need is a driver's license. However, my experience has been that if you are going to use that as your form of ID, then it is best to telephone Princess and speak with someone in the BVE department and have them register you in the system.

On a side note, California is now giving people the option of getting a federally approved "Real ID" driver's license. Having a "Real ID" will be required after October, 2020 if you wish to board an aircraft and are using a driver's license as your form of ID. I wonder if Princess will require that (as opposed to a non-federally compliant driver's license) in the future?

Long term cruise parking is available through Parking Panda website for $18 a day. It is about 2 blocks from the cruise terminal and located at 80 Francisco St. We have used it a number of times. You can pull into the passenger drop off in front of the ship to drop off your passengers and baggage, drive to the parking garage and walk back to ship. It is very organized pulling into Pier 27 and getting back out to park.

The BVE is also offered in NY. I have done it several times in Brooklyn. (and have on one occasion been able to have the $39 applied to a cruise I had booked just prior to booking/doing the BVE, took some work on my Travel agents part, but every little bit helps. )

I can't speak highly enough about this option

I was doing a BVE with 2 friends, who just like the experience of being on a ship & the nice sit down lunch, & when they arrived at the terminal they forgot there boarding pass. They accepted there ID in lew of a boarding pass.

Tom😎

The BVE is also offered in NY. I have done it several times in Brooklyn. (and have on one occasion been able to have the $39 applied to a cruise I had booked just prior to booking/doing the BVE, took some work on my Travel agents part, but every little bit helps. )

I can't speak highly enough about this option

Your travel agent did well to get that applied for you. I tried to have the $39 fee applied to a cruise I had booked about two weeks before booking the BVE, but was told by Princess that I could not retroactively apply that.

Regardless, I also still very much enjoy the program.

We once foolishly let ourselves run out of FCD. We booked a BVE in San Francisco in order to be able to purchase more FCD It was well worth it Another time our son drove us to SF to board our cruise. We booked the BVE as a thank you to him so he could come aboard, check out the ship, check out our cabin (aft-facing Caribe deck balcony :)), and have lunch in MDR. It was very cool.