Elevator observations

We just got off the Anthem yesterday and had some funny times on the elevators.

Here are some observations:

1. It took forever to get an elevator... definitely not enough elevators.

2. The elevator is never too full for some people. We saw this several times, but one woman literally backed into the full elevator crushing everyone behind her backside. The only thing missing was the backing up beep from a truck!

3. Kids were mostly well behaved, but there was one group of teens who dropped 5 F-bombs in 3 floors.

4. Twice, the elevator mysteriously lost all pressed buttons. Both times, multiple floors were pressed, then (while at one of the stops) all of the pressed floor lights went off and the elevator changed directions (going up when it had been going down, with additional stops still to go). Weird!

5. Like the kids, most of the elderly passengers were friendly, but we did have one group of 4 that blocked the entrance. My teen daughter politely said "excuse me" (loud enough to be heard), but none of them moved. I then very loudly (not yelling) said "EXCUSE ME" and one of them moved a little after glaring at me.

6. The elevator stopped at deck 14 and some people got off. Then, after the 14 light went off and as the doors were closing, a passenger pressed 14 and made a second stop! ;p

I'm sure there were more, but the elevators were a good source of entertainment. :D

What have you seen that made you laugh / cry?

I agree with your observations as I have experienced most of what you did. Another one that I can't stand is people who reek of too much perfume or cologne. For whatever reason some people forget their manners when using an elevator on a cruise ship. While annoying and uncomfortable at times, I agree that it does provide for some entertaining moments!

The elevator cars aren't big enough..they should take a page from Vegas hotels...their elevator cars are HUGE! And they don't all operate on the same line....they each go someplace different....on ships, they all seem to hit the same floors. Bad design...just like the cruise line websites!

Now that fact in itself would encourage me to book a higher level cabin (In an Accessible OV Balcony). For the number of scooters and wheelchairs on all cruise ships these elevators are a joke. If I could, I would be taking the stairs much of the time. Most of my party does unless a really long distance and I encourage them to do so and leave me behind to deal with elevator on my own. I tell them if they do not see me in an hour- send help.

Agree with and have experienced most of the situations you encountered.

A pet peeve of mine is regardless of how crowded that elevator is...some barge in and could care less ... the ones that only go up one deck (really)...the ones with huge open plates of food (yuck..ask for a plate cover) .. the ones that won't move to let you off (come on) !!

A pet peeve of mine is regardless of how crowded that elevator is...some barge in and could care less ... the ones that only go up one deck (really)...the ones with huge open plates of food (yuck..ask for a plate cover) .. the ones that won't move to let you off (come on) !!

I have decided that the next time someone pushes into a full elevator, I am getting off. Last cruise, 3 people decided to crush into the elevator and we were all jammed together, way too close for me. They will have to get off to let me get off!

For the ones that go up one deck only, some people cannot walk the stairs easily. I had sprained a ligament in my one knee before a cruise, and though it was better, I avoided the stairs and was one of those people who go up one floor only. I know some people are just being lazy, but you never know.

For the ones that go up one deck only, some people cannot walk the stairs easily. I had sprained a ligament in my one knee before a cruise, and though it was better, I avoided the stairs and was one of those people who go up one floor only. I know some people are just being lazy, but you never know.

As someone with an often invisible disability (unless I happen to be in so much pain that I need to use my cane), I really appreciate you pointing this out!

Also when there is a large group of people waiting in the hallway area for the next car. This group is not all crowded together because they are politely waiting.Then, another group comes along and barges past all of those people to stand right in front of the doors.

I have decided that the next time someone pushes into a full elevator, I am getting off. Last cruise, 3 people decided to crush into the elevator and we were all jammed together, way too close for me. They will have to get off to let me get off!

Of course there's a difference with some that only go up one deck...Sorry I didn't make it clear that "those" I was referring to obviously had no disability...I know there are invisible disabilities but some it's obvious there's not...no reason to give specifics...you know what I'm talking about ;)

Also when there is a large group of people waiting in the hallway area for the next car. This group is not all crowded together because they are politely waiting.Then, another group comes along and barges past all of those people to stand right in front of the doors.

Very true...but don't you love it when the elevator their standing in front of isn't the next one to open :D

Of course there's a difference with some that only go up one deck...Sorry I didn't make it clear that "those" I was referring to obviously had no disability...I know there are invisible disabilities but some it's obvious there's not...no reason to give specifics...you know what I'm talking about ;)

Actually no I don’t know what you are talking about there are more types of invisible disabilities than you can count.

As someone with some serious health issues nothing gets on my nerves than judgemental people who think they are entitled to say if someone had a disability or not.

It is true. The Concierges can do it as well.

And they can hold an elevator out of service for their use.

I have seen this used to port calls (dock and tender) and final disembarkation.

With the open plate of food, you could always fake a sneeze into it. :D

Or if you are really upset, spit in it.

As for the woman backing to the already full elevator, I would be tempted to give her a goose. Or comment that I do not know her well enough for sex on the elevator.

As I get older, I get less tolerant of such behavior.

And I am not that old. :D

Over the years I have had a group of pet peeves, but am now down just to one..

The people who insist on entering the elevator before people can exit it. Stand to the side for a few seconds to see if anyone is exiting. If so once they exit, enter the elevator. If not enter the elevator. Makes for a better flow.

What have you seen that made you laugh / cry?

Normally, not much of an issue, but on Oasis in 2016, I would hit the down elevator button and of course the elevator that arrived was the furthest one away. Within .5 seconds of it opening, it would close and take off in the other direction. Once an elevator stopped about 18" short. Another time we got on going down and the speaker made some announcement that wasn't clear. Turns out 2 employees used the emergency medical key to go from deck 17 to the Promenade Cafe to get coffee.

Actually no I don’t know what you are talking about there are more types of invisible disabilities than you can count.

As someone with some serious health issues nothing gets on my nerves than judgemental people who think they are entitled to say if someone had a disability or not.

YIKES :eek:...Calm down...sorry you misunderstood .... that wasn't my intention at all...being "judgemental" goes both ways.

YIKES :eek:...Calm down...sorry you misunderstood .... that wasn't my intention at all...being "judgemental" goes both ways.

When you say “obviously had no disability” there is only one way to take it, you are judging people you know nothing about.

No misunderstanding possible to such a straightforward statement.

I really wish people would do some research into people who suffer with invisible illnesses or injuries, before deciding someone doesn’t have one.

When you say “obviously had no disability” there is only one way to take it, you are judging people you know nothing about.

No misunderstanding possible to such a straightforward statement.

I really wish people would do some research into people who suffer with invisible illnesses or injuries, before deciding someone doesn’t have one.

No need to continue to take this so personal. Peace Out !

No need to continue to take this so personal. Peace Out !

You try being abused because someone doesn’t think you look like you have a disability or because you were in a wheelchair one day and not the next and see how personally YOU take someone saying that another person obviously had no disability.

Or better yet stop trying to judge other peoples condition.

Please do not judge just because they are going up 1 floor. I was on B2B on Adventure last month and by the end of the day, I rode 1 floor without hesitation. I double fractured my left ankle 6 months ago which required a plate and 4 screws inserted to stabilize it. I am no where near being back to normal yet. :( Surgeon says it will take a year or so before I am close to normal.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it's anyones business if someone rides the elevator up or down one floor - disabled or not. Elevators are there for people to use them - regardless of the reason or the distance .

Honestly, I'm not sure why it's anyones business if someone rides the elevator up or down one floor - disabled or not. Elevators are there for people to use them - regardless of the reason or the distance .

The incident that was annoying was groups of teenagers that made a game out of it...Many of you have just assumed it was someone with a possible disability....Absolutely was NOT the case here.