No Mexican Riviera Cruises?

Z'Loth

I was checking to see if there were any Mexican Riviera cruises... and I'm kinda surprised, but not not surprised. Both Celebrity and their parent companyh RCL do not currently offer Mexican Riviera cruises, although they have cruises (e.g. Pacific Coast with a Ensenada stop, Panama Cruises, Los Angeles to South America) that have a Mexico stop.

I take it that circumstances, according to this Mexico Country Information and Travel Advisory from travel.state.gov, that it's too high of a risk. Since I haven't paid that close attention to the news, I'm wondering how long this has been true. It kinda sucks because I was hoping to drag a friend into a vacation, and to try out a cruise. Los Angeles is (or was) a major port.

Most other cruise lines still do this itinerary, including luxury lines like Crystal and Regent. Others include HAL, Princess, carnival, Ncl and Disney.

Why X and its related companies (rccl and azmara) quit doing them is a mystery to me. Heck, if it was SO dangerous, I can't imagine that any of those lines could make money on those ships, let alone convince high spenders (crystal and Regent) and parents with kids (Disney) to go.

We did it many times when we lived in Phoenix. It was quite a nice cruise, except for Mazatlan which was not so nice many years ago. Now, it ranks at the bottom of desirable ports, along with Nassau. (IMO)

Royal had Mariner of The Seas doing Mexican Riviera cruises but they were having to discount fares like crazy to fill the ship (and I mean discount with a capital "D", these were seven night cruises with inside staterooms going for as little as $299 per person). For the last few years the only regular presence in the region has been Carnival doing short cruises covering only Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada and Catalina Island. Surprisingly, their newest ship will be based year-round out of Long Beach doing 7 night Mexican Riviera cruises so if that is what you are looking for that (for now) is really your only option. I believe both Princess and HAL have some seasonal sailings in the region.

I'm sad to say but if in my country the drug cartels/organized crime violence continues to escalate, maybe soon no more Mexico Cruise stops.

U.S. State Department Issues New Warning for Travelers to Mexico, Includes Cruise Ports

Let's clarify this a bit. The report that is linked in from August 2017 and it refers to the Mexican static quintana roo - the opposite coast.

All of the cruise lines I mentioned before do quite a few cruises for Mexican riviera except Regent and crystal, who just do 2-4 a year.

RCCL and Celebrity include this region on their reposition cruises.

Pet Peeve - Excessively slow and picky people at the buffet.

Careful to point out I don't mean people who are slow or infirm due to age or illness , I mean the people who will quite happily spend what seems an eternity going through a bowl of whatever looking for the precise bit they want - oblivious to the fact there are now a couple of people waiting. By far the worst example of this was a woman who appeared to go through a whole tray of chips (fries) looking for the ones she wanted and putting them on her plate one at time - and boy did she want a lot of them. She must have been there about 2 minutes. It's chips, get a scoop full and move on!

Pet Peeve - Excessively slow and picky people at the buffet.

Careful to point out I don't mean people who are slow or infirm due to age or illness , I mean the people who will quite happily spend what seems an eternity going through a bowl of whatever looking for the precise bit they want - oblivious to the fact there are now a couple of people waiting. By far the worst example of this was a woman who appeared to go through a whole tray of chips (fries) looking for the ones she wanted and putting them on her plate one at time - and boy did she want a lot of them. She must have been there about 2 minutes. It's chips, get a scoop full and move on!

Apologies wrong thread!

It's nothing new. I don't remember if Celebrity ever had west coast cruises, but I think Royal gave up on them in 2009, or maybe 2010. EM

Celebrity Mercury did Mexican Riveria and Hawaii I would say in the 2005 time frame. We did them both and Are still two of our favorite cruises even over the S class ships.

Let's clarify this a bit. The report that is linked in from August 2017 and it refers to the Mexican static quintana roo - the opposite coast.

All of the cruise lines I mentioned before do quite a few cruises for Mexican riviera except Regent and crystal, who just do 2-4 a year.

RCCL and Celebrity include this region on their reposition cruises.

In the warning is Los Cabos, Ensenada, Manzanillo, Acapulco, etc many cities of the pacific coast, plus the Mayan Riviera Cozumel and Playa del Carmen

Just don't leave the resort areas and you'll be fine. We did Carnival Miracle Cabo, PV and Mazatlan last year with kids without any issues. However I would not go wandering off the main trail into the backwoods.

Sadly, this is not true. There have been instances within resort areas, although it is true it is safer there than going out and about.

Did Mexican Riviera years ago on Mercury and loved it. Stopped in Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta last year on our way to San Diego on our Panama Canal cruise. In PV, on our taxi ride back to the ship drove by what may or may not have been a simple traffic accident on the road. There was a motorcycle down, and a body covered with a tarp (definitely a dead body unfortunately - I will avoid further details). I did not see any other vehicles nearby. Truth be told, I am not at all sure this was not some type of shooting rather than a simple accident. But maybe it was - it was disturbing none-the-less.

Was talking with someone on a tour on a recent trip who owns a condo in Cabo San Lucas. She said the crime there, even in tourist areas, is increasing considerably. Very sad. I love the country and feel sad for all the good, kind people who are living in such deteriorating conditions.

I, too, am saddened that both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have pulled out from these itineraries down the Mexican Riviera. I still take one every so often on Princess out of San Francisco but sailing on the same ship over and over again but would rather have a little variety. I know I can go on Carnival or HAL but would much prefer Celebrity or RCCL.

I used to travel down to Mexico all the time in the past but am so much more aware of my surroundings now when I cruise down there. I still enjoy travel down there but definitely stay on the beaten path!

RCI was doing just fine when they had the Vision of the Sea out of San Pedro (we certainly helped in that respect). Once they brought in Mariner that's when they had trouble filling the ship along with when the H1N1 virus hit.

Mexican Riviera cruises are selling well. My upcoming cruise on Carnival Splendor 4/28 has been sold out since mid March. I kept constantly checking for price drops so I know that the cheapest cabins were never less than $600

When there is demand, prices never fall, on the contrary they rise. For our B2B in Silhouette, March, 2019, prices have now gone up by $700 on the first leg and $500 on the second leg. Still 337 days left for navigation

We did this cruise on Sapphire Princess in 2008. It was very disappointing. Puerta Vallarta felt like an armed camp. Mazatlan was much the same and the vendors in Cabo San Lucas were the rudest we've ever encountered. From recent reviews it seems little has changed.

Just don't leave the resort areas and you'll be fine. We did Carnival Miracle Cabo, PV and Mazatlan last year with kids without any issues. However I would not go wandering off the main trail into the backwoods.

That should not be a condition of any trip, especially with kids. We're looking into taking our granddaughters on a Caribbean cruise in 2020. We'll stay in the Antilles.

We did this itin quite awhile ago out of San Diegio on Royal C's Radiance of the Seas.( which was already feeling old). Shortly after that Royal stopped going to Mex Riviera.

We very much enjoyed Cabo San Lucas and Puerta Vallarta, and a few other ports, Zhuateneo (?), but Mazatlan, where did a tour with an included show plus beach divers, etc. was kind of a dump back then...

In Acapulco there had recently been a few shooting incidents. Captain sent a very detailed letter so folks could decide to get off or not. We did a ships excursion with a fairly small number of other guests to an exclusive resort property that was very top shelf & lovely.

We believe that the van that travelled behind us was security..the gun van??? Went thru 2 sep gated security check points with armed guards and there were guards on the beach..We felt safe but it was a bit un-nerving.

Glad we went..would not go back anytime soon or maybe never. We enjoyed a Pacific Coastal cruise recently on Infinity...no security worries!

We did this itin quite awhile ago out of San Diegio on Royal C's Radiance of the Seas.( which was already feeling old). Shortly after that Royal stopped going to Mex Riviera.

We very much enjoyed Cabo San Lucas and Puerta Vallarta, and a few other ports, Zhuateneo (?), but Mazatlan, where did a tour with an included show plus beach divers, etc. was kind of a dump back then...

In Acapulco there had recently been a few shooting incidents. Captain sent a very detailed letter so folks could decide to get off or not. We did a ships excursion with a fairly small number of other guests to an exclusive resort property that was very top shelf & lovely.

We believe that the van that travelled behind us was security..the gun van??? Went thru 2 sep gated security check points with armed guards and there were guards on the beach..We felt safe but it was a bit un-nerving.

Glad we went..would not go back anytime soon or maybe never. We enjoyed a Pacific Coastal cruise recently on Infinity...no security worries!

Hcat, we went on that same itinerary on the Radiance a number of years ago ...and like you, they stopped these itineraries shortly after we did this cruise. It might have even been the same one....wouldn't that have been a hoot.

I swear, we're going to end up on the same sailing one of these days ... and know about it ahead of time.

For now, all future sailings are booked with Princess, though.