Do you think people are NOT sharing their drink package ?

Hi [emoji3]

Now both people in the same stateroom [emoji127]need to purchase a drink package if one of them bought the [emoji483]premium package. You can’t share the package with anyone but do you honestly believe passengers are not sharing the package ? [emoji1294][emoji1291][emoji1293]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think Royal is just making it less likely that people will share.

If all adults in the cabin need to get it, it would only be those who have friends/family travelling with them on the same cruise that they would be sharing with.

I don't think people sneaking/sharing packages with complete strangers is too much of a concern for cruise lines.

Yes, people are undoubtedly still sharing, just like people are still undoubtedly sneaking alcohol on board. However the number of people will be significantly less. I also expect they're selling more "by the drink". Plain and simple - if this wasn't good for Royal Caribbean's bottom line, they wouldn't be doing it.

My wife and I used to only get 1 package, because I drink a lot more than she does. It's still cheaper for us to buy 2 packages than go by-the-drink, but more expensive than it was to do 1 package and her pay by-the-drink. So they're doing better on us.

I believe when the drink packages were first offered it required both people in the cabin to purchase (if 21)...then for awhile only one was required to purchase...now back to the original policy again...so what does that tell you.

Royal tried it on the honor system, and it obviously didn't work, so they went back to the original system.So because a few people cheated, all of us have to pay. It's the same everywhere. The good have to pay because of the bad.

I think people still share, but not at the level they did previously. I think there are a lot of dishonest, maybe even cheap people who feel rules don't apply to them and they paid for the cruise fare and they can do as they please.

I don't believe, though, that is the only reason the package was changed to having all over 21 in a cabin purchase the package. I think that Royal Caribbean decided that other lines are making everyone 21 and over in a cabin buy a package, so more revenue will be generated by having everyone buy it, or at least the Refreshment package.

It's all about the bottom line and I am fine with that. I used to buy the package even though the others I traveled with didn't drink, but now I will just go to the Diamond Lounge, have a couple of drinks, then use my 3 coupons. Saves me a lot of money, so Royal Caribbean isn't making money from me unless I choose to have a drink or two during the day or after a show. I still won't spend what I did with the package.

We're doing a 14 day cruise in a few weeks. It'll be the first cruise we've had w/o buying the deluxe bev package. Not only is it expensive for two people / 2 weeks, to be very honest, I don't think I can drink that much for two weeks. And I'm very serious. My organs (heart, kidneys & liver) can't handle 5 to 10 drinks per day for 14 consecutive days. So for this particular cruise, we'll enjoy the suite lounge happy hour and purchase occasionally by the drink.

We're doing a 14 day cruise in a few weeks. It'll be the first cruise we've had w/o buying the deluxe bev package. Not only is it expensive for two people / 2 weeks, to be very honest, I don't think I can drink that much for two weeks. And I'm very serious. My organs (heart, kidneys & liver) can't handle 5 to 10 drinks per day for 14 consecutive days. So for this particular cruise, we'll enjoy the suite lounge happy hour and purchase occasionally by the drink.

I agree with you about being expensive for 14 days, however, sine they simplified the packages you don't need 5-10 alcoholic drinks a day to break even. Lots of people enjoy bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffee, smoothies - not just alcohol. If you like those drinks plus a couple of alcoholic drinks, such as a glass of wine and after dinner drink, you can still make out.

The one Royal cruise I went on I actually noticed the bartenders offering 2 drinks to those with the drink package. They seemed to pretty much assume that both parties had the package. I had a lady who told me her husband had the package and she didn't, the bartender kept offering him 2 drinks each time he ordered. So they just didn't bother to say anything.

I also had the same on NCL and MSC, they pretty much seemed to assume those traveling together both had a drink package. On NCL specifically we had two cabins booked for 5 people, 2 of us had the drink package. As we were always together they seemed to assume we all had the package, and just asked for one card to ring us up. Even so far as to have one waiter go to order my son a drink, the waiter then asked the grandmother (who had the package) for her card to ring up the grandson's order. We never suggested it, but rather found the waiters did instead. Guessing they didn't care one way or another and still somehow received a portion of tips whether the package was used or not.

Though for $45 a day it isn't hard to get to that amount. Really only 4 alcoholic drinks need to be bought daily to reach that amount. Even just 3, with some kind of sodas, coffees, or juices would still get to that amount. Really seems like a no brainer to me. Unless you are someone that won't purchase that many drinks.

My daughter and BF for instance will be going, he could care less about ordering alcohol, while my daughter would like to try a few drinks. Clearly they will be better off to pay as they go, as the boardwalk balcony cabin includes their sodas. So my husband and I will purchase the drink package, while they will not.

We only bought 1 deluxe, my SO bought refreshment package. We don't share because he actually doesn't drink much at all. He had problem in his 20's now in his 50's he might have 3 drinks on an eight day cruise. RC was very understanding & I appreciated there bending their rules.

No sharing here. As for the rest yeah, nomb!!!!

I agree with you about being expensive for 14 days, however, sine they simplified the packages you don't need 5-10 alcoholic drinks a day to break even. Lots of people enjoy bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffee, smoothies - not just alcohol. If you like those drinks plus a couple of alcoholic drinks, such as a glass of wine and after dinner drink, you can still make out.

What you just described abover is the Replenish pacakge. Which as a cost of $293 for the cruise. The Deluxe pkg is about $550 more. That's per person. Double that due to the new ruling. Again, my body can't take that much liquor. I'm not used to drinking 15 days in a row, especially that much per day. Seven day cruise, I'm probably all over it, meaning the deluxe package(s).

Of course there will always be people sharing their drink packages...Just like there will always be people smuggling booze in shampoo bottles. Unfortunately, the ones who play by the rules will continue to have to support the ones who don’t.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What you just described abover is the Replenish pacakge. Which as a cost of $293 for the cruise. The Deluxe pkg is about $550 more. That's per person. Double that due to the new ruling. Again, my body can't take that much liquor. I'm not used to drinking 15 days in a row, especially that much per day. Seven day cruise, I'm probably all over it, meaning the deluxe package(s).

The Deluxe package includes everything that is in the Refreshment package.

In addition to your alcoholic drinks, you can order virgin drinks, smoothies, specialty coffees, fresh squeezed orange juice, bottled water, soda, and with ships that have freestyle machines, you get the souvenir cup so you can get anything you want from the machine.

We’ve cruised both with and without the drinks package, depending on the cruise and our travel companions. If we get the package, we both get it. On our last cruise without the package, our entire bill at the end of the cruise, including gratuities and $200+ spent in the shops, was less than half of what the drink package would have been.

If, in the future one of us cannot drink for any reason, we’d switch to buying drinks Individually. Neither of us drinks soda or other soft drinks, and the replenish package would go to waste. Our spending on drinks would go way down.

I agree with a PP that the decision that all pax in a cabin buy the package was made because they could.

I never buy a drink package as I can drink for free in the DL/CL in the evening plus I bring 2 bottles of wine plus the one I get as my D+ gift. Still, people I meet by the pool often offer to "buy" me a drink if they have a package. I decline as I would feel guilty doing so. Sharing does and will always happen. Cannot blame Royal for this policy change.

Going on Allure in July. Been kicking around the drink package and finally did bought it. In November I could've got it for $43-45. I just paid $47. Still worth it to me because we both like to drink and the DW likes trying different drinks. Like my beers during the day and a few Jack's at night. Had some OBC that helped make my decision, cut the price almost in half. As someone posted before, 4-5 drinks a day and it will pay for itself. Also like that you can use it in Labadee. Disclaimer: never book a drink package when Mr. Jack is around. ;p

What counts as sharing anyhow?

While my SO and I had a drink package, our friends didn't and if I thought a drink was especially great, I'd let them try it to see if they liked it before they went and paid for one. I kinda wondered if that was frowned upon but figured oh well.

What counts as sharing anyhow?

While my SO and I had a drink package, our friends didn't and if I thought a drink was especially great, I'd let them try it to see if they liked it before they went and paid for one. I kinda wondered if that was frowned upon but figured oh well.

Nothing wrong with that at all.