Not happy at all with our supposed upgrade! Has this happened to you?

Seagull507

Just wondering if anybody has had this experience.

Booked and obstructed view GTY on deck 8, NCL Dawn.

Received an upgrade to porthole far forward cabin deck 4!! As low as you can get.

I'm so mad. They say it's an upgrade because it's not obstructed.

Location is what we were looking for not a view thru a hole at the bottom of the ship.

They only have handicap left in the category I asked for and refuse move us.

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

Received an upgrade to porthole far forward cabin deck 4!! As low as you can get.

Location is what we were looking for not a view thru a hole at the bottom of the ship.

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

What did you pay for the upgrade?

This happened to us too, I booked a obstructed oceanview guarantee and wound up in 4500 on the Dawn, all the way in the front. It was fine.

That's how guarantees work. You have to be OK with any cabin in your category, or above your category. Read the fine print next time.

Happened to us to just last week. Booked an OK and got a forward porthole on the Jade. But we knew what we signed up for. The best part is that we could have booked an OX, without perks, and probably wound up in the same cabin so we still consider it a win. If you're going to book GTY you have to be satisfied with the worst possible outcome, and we are. Looking forward to Upgrade Advantage though!

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

It is important, especially when bidding for an upgrade or booking a guarantee, that you completely understand the applicable terms and conditions beforehand. Working with a good, informed PCC or Travel Agent goes a long way to avoiding situations caused by a lack of information.

When it comes to the Norwegian Dawn, all of the Oceanview Cabins are found on decks 4, 5, 6, and 8. The deck is NOT what determines which cabin is "better" than another.

Each cabin is assigned a 2 digit cabin category code. The first digit indicates the Meta-Grouping (in this case "O" for "Oceanview"), and the second digit indicates the preference within the Meta. The second digit can be a letter or a number, numbers are considered to be "better" than letters. Thus "Z" would be the lowest, and "1" would be the best.

On the Dawn, there are eight different classes of Oceanview Cabins. From "best" to "worst", they are:

• O1
  • OA
  • OB
  • OF
  • OG
  • OK
  • OX

This is the list that determines cabin ranking, NOT which deck the cabin is on.

All of the obstructed cabins are in the "OK" category (I know, ironic, right?). The oceanview cabins on Deck 4 on the Dawn are either "OF" or "OG", both of which rank better than an "OK" cabin and thus are an upgrade.

When a specific deck or location are important, you should always book the specific cabin in which you will be happy. When you play the bid and/or the guarantee game, you are rolling the dice and need to be prepared to accept whatever you get.

It is important, especially when bidding for an upgrade or booking a guarantee, that you completely understand the applicable terms and conditions beforehand. Working with a good, informed PCC or Travel Agent goes a long way to avoiding situations caused by a lack of information.

When it comes to the Norwegian Dawn, all of the Oceanview Cabins are found on decks 4, 5, 6, and 8. The deck is NOT what determines which cabin is "better" than another.

Each cabin is assigned a 2 digit cabin category code. The first digit indicates the Meta-Grouping (in this case "O" for "Oceanview"), and the second digit indicates the preference within the Meta. The second digit can be a letter or a number, numbers are considered to be "better" than letters. Thus "Z" would be the lowest, and "1" would be the best.

On the Dawn, there are eight different classes of Oceanview Cabins. From "best" to "worst", they are:

• O1
  • OA
  • OB
  • OF
  • OG
  • OK
  • OX

This is the list that determines cabin ranking, NOT which deck the cabin is on.

All of the obstructed cabins are in the "OK" category (I know, ironic, right?). The oceanview cabins on Deck 4 on the Dawn are either "OF" or "OG", both of which rank better than an "OK" cabin and thus are an upgrade.

When a specific deck or location are important, you should always book the specific cabin in which you will be happy. When you play the bid and/or the guarantee game, you are rolling the dice and need to be prepared to accept whatever you get.

I’m always learning something new on these boards. Even though we have yet to book a guarantee I thank you for this tutorial!

I don't think there is much that you can do having booked a GTY category. I think this is the reason why GTY can be more trouble than it's worth. In the eyes of the company, they gave you want they promised, an obstructed GTY or better. Unfortunately GTY doesn't offer a deck promise, even if the minimum category is only on deck 8. They probably won't move you, but maybe you could see about paying to upgrade to a cabin you actually do want.

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

A GTY cabin does not mean you will be assigned a cabin that you view as an "upgrade" - as others have explained. It is by their category definitions not by your personal preference for location or otherwise. So if you are picky about location or cabin type, it is probably better NOT to get a GTY cabin.. The first time we booked a GTY, we were not thrilled with the location but since we understood that a GTY is their choice NOT ours, we would have accepted it without complaint. Lucky for us, we were able to "upsell" (pay more) and get a cabin more to our liking. The 2nd time we booked a GTY, we were very lucky and pleased with the cabin assigned. Mostly we don't book GTYs because of the risk of ending up with a cabin whose location we don't like.

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

I hope your Mad at Yourself for not Knowing what YOU bought.

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

Sorry that some posters are being a little mean with the "got what you paid for" stuff.

This "upgrade" is not a racket. This is true. The porthole cabin is considered one up from the obstructed views, and this kind of upgrade happens all the time with booking an ocean view GTY.

Here are some suggestions:

Is there anyway you can call and ask to be put back in the GTY pool? (The most they will say is No)

Is it possible to cancel and re book in an obstructed ocean view (you select the room) if you are before final payment?

Is it possible to call and ask if you can pay the difference between your cabin and the one you want, and move there.

Is there any other category you would be willing to go in? If yes, then cancel and book that directly, assuming you are not past final payment.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best. Please do come back here and post your experiences in getting this resolved.

Edited by Arzeena

Happened to us to just last week. Booked an OK and got a forward porthole on the Jade. But we knew what we signed up for. The best part is that we could have booked an OX, without perks, and probably wound up in the same cabin so we still consider it a win. If you're going to book GTY you have to be satisfied with the worst possible outcome, and we are. Looking forward to Upgrade Advantage though!

I love your overall good attitude about what is essentially "a gamble" when booking any "Guarantee" stateroom. Best of luck to you!!!

Also keep in mind that even if you pay the fare to book a specific cabin, the cruise line can still "upgrade" you without any notification.

This has happened to us several times and in each case we do not think the upgrade was anything we wanted or liked.

If you book a specific cabin, mark your reservation as "do not upgrade." This doesn't mean that you might still be moved for some valid reason, but it cuts down the possibility of it happening.

Sorry that some posters are being a little mean with the "got what you paid for" stuff.

This "upgrade" is not a racket. This is true. The porthole cabin is considered one up from the obstructed views, and this kind of upgrade happens all the time with booking an ocean view GTY.

Here are some suggestions:

Is there anyway you can call and ask to be put back in the GTY pool? (The most they will say is No)

Is it possible to cancel and re book in an obstructed ocean view (you select the room) if you are before final payment?

Is it possible to call and ask if you can pay the difference between your cabin and the one you want, and move there.

Is there any other category you would be willing to go in? If yes, then cancel and book that directly, assuming you are not past final payment.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best. Please do come back here and post your experiences in getting this resolved.

Mean? At you get what "you paid for"? After the OP used exclamation points? Said they were mad, at NCL I presume. Furthermore, the OP accused NCL of running a racket. That was the most inammatory thing in this thread.

Mean? Really?

Truly if anyone was mean there are moderators. There are rules against name calling. I did not see any here.

I did see a lot of helpful replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wondering if anybody has had this experience. Booked and obstructed view GTY on deck 8, NCL Dawn. Received an upgrade to porthole far forward cabin deck 4!! As low as you can get. I'm so mad. They say it's an upgrade because it's not obstructed. Location is what we were looking for not a view thru a hole at the bottom of the ship. They only have handicap left in the category I asked for and refuse move us. What a racket! Any suggestions?

You got exactly what you paid for. On Deck 4, you may end up over crew areas that operate 24/7.

I'm not sure I am following. This doesn't sound like a upgrade bid nor does it sound like a guarantee. You said you were in a obstructed view cabin and then assigned a porthole cabin. I have done these guarantees before and once the cabin is assigned they don't change. Exactly what program are you under?

What a racket!

Any suggestions?

It is technically an upgrade, and the same thing has happened to me. Short of paying for a location that you prefer there is nothing that you can do.

Also keep in mind that even if you pay the fare to book a specific cabin, the cruise line can still "upgrade" you without any notification.

This has happened to us several times and in each case we do not think the upgrade was anything we wanted or liked.

If you book a specific cabin, mark your reservation as "do not upgrade." This doesn't mean that you might still be moved for some valid reason, but it cuts down the possibility of it happening.

I know Princess does that, and I always make sure the booking agent notes "do not upgrade", but I didn't realize NCL does this too. I pick the exact cabin I want and would be upset if they changed it without my consent.

I'm not sure I am following. This doesn't sound like a upgrade bid nor does it sound like a guarantee. You said you were in a obstructed view cabin and then assigned a porthole cabin. I have done these guarantees before and once the cabin is assigned they don't change. Exactly what program are you under?

It would be a guarantee. I assume that the category they were originally booked in was an obstructed view ocean view. They didn’t have a specific cabin previously allocated, but knew the area and type where that cabin would be.

The cabin that they were actually allocated was not seen by the OP as an upgrade, although going by NCLs classifications it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk