Celebrity Charters/Groups Thread?

Hi All,

Is there a continuing thread addressing Charters/Groups on board Celebrity ships? The reason I ask is that the HAL forum has one and I didn't know if the Celebrity forum had one, or what is was called here in order to search for it. It comes in handy when making reservations if you want to avoid large groups....

Thank you!

Hi All,

Is there a continuing thread addressing Charters/Groups on board Celebrity ships? The reason I ask is that the HAL forum has one and I didn't know if the Celebrity forum had one, or what is was called here in order to search for it. It comes in handy when making reservations if you want to avoid large groups....

Thank you!

No, finding charters is very hit and miss. You might be able to find the occasional thread that a ship has been chartered but not a thread on all the ships.

Silhouette has been chartered for a Bravo Music cruise from May 19th-26th. I know because I am on it!

I don't think there will be many large groups though...it tends to be couples interested in the wonderful classical musical entertainment onboard.

Thank you, just thought I would ask. Every forum is a little different and some have "continuing" informational threads and some not.

I would think a large group on Holland America would have a greater effect due to the small ship size. A 500 person group on a 1100 passenger ship would be noticed! However, on Celebrity, due to the larger size ships, it may not have the same impact. And full charters might be less frequent on a larger ship.

Silhouette has been chartered for a Bravo Music cruise from May 19th-26th. I know because I am on it!

I don't think there will be many large groups though...it tends to be couples interested in the wonderful classical musical entertainment onboard.

A charter is a large group. By large groups, the OP means large interest groups on a non-chartered sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Thank you!

I wish we had such a thing on the Celebrity forum! If a group is large enough, it can negatively impact the experience of the remaining passengers (due to frequent group only events in popular venues).

A charter is a large group. By large groups, the OP means large interest groups on a non-chartered sailing.

Yes, thank you. A full charter would most probably take that particular sailing off the list of available cruises. A very large group, however, can dominate a ship and ship's services, entertainment offerings, dining. I usually book cruises at least 6 months ahead. If I am interested in a particular date, it is nice to know that the particular date I am looking at is fully chartered, or has a very large group. A full charter is a full charter, and not much to be done about that. But large groups are another story. Some groups are not intrusive, but some have interests which may clash with the experience some other cruisers are looking for in their vacation. That is why it is nice to know if a large group (especially) is on a particular sailing, so you can avoid that sailing if you so choose.

The HAL forum has a very nice member who volunteers to put the information about charters and groups given to him/her by other members and posts probably once a month with a list - in order by Ship/date. It is very handy. It is nice when someone has the knowledge and time to do this, not everyone does - and it is appreciated.

PS The list also includes scheduled dry docks.

Thank you for that information...having only done over 150 cruises I had no idea what a Charter/Group means! :rolleyes:

The OP asked about Charters/Groups onboard Celebrity ships. I answered with info about a charter. This cruise is open to all to book and many TA's are selling it. Potentially there could be a "large interest group" booking it independently.

Thanks for that info LottieA. Someone looking to sail on that date will find that info useful.

Yes, the HAL continuing thread lists all three: Charters, Groups, and Dry Dock dates listed by ships/dates.....

• 4 months later...

There are full ship charters where the entire inventory is unavailable to book except through the group which charters the ship. There would not be any passengers on board who didn't book as a member of that group.

Then there are group sailings, where there could be a family, a corporation, a special interest group. Sometimes these can be located with a google search, but often they cannot.

Recently on Solstice there was a large family -- over 100 members. I wouldn't have known they were there except I met one of the family members at lunch one day. There was also a large corporate group which took over the Sky Lounge a couple of nights and also had meetings in the conference room. Because they were there, the Captain's Club Celebration got bumped to a different night and there was no Senior Officer's Party. Neither of these would have appeared on a Google search because they were closed groups.

A special interest group might appear on a search, especially if it is open to anyone who would like to book it. An example, there was a Jimmy Buffet fan club cruise. Anyone could join if they booked through one particular travel agent, who did advertise it. They were about a quarter of the passengers on that ship. You definitely knew they were there! Fins up!