New rules Cuba / Havana has anyone experiences

muenchner

:cool: We were that couple from Northern Ireland. Make sure and have English Stirling notes to exchange. We had to withdraw dollars on the ship and get a really bad exchange rate. Quite annoying but we weren't exchanging a ransom! All worth it though.
Im solo travelling from northern ireland. Which is better dollars or english

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

We are from Scotland and we took Euros. I had read this advice on a previous thread on this site. We are quite used to Scottish notes not being accepted outwith Scotland, so always change any sterling into English notes / withdraw cash at an English ATM. However, in Cuba, Euros attracted a better exchange rate.

I tested the link before I posted it, I tested it now, it is long so try copy and pasting both lines.

Thanks for the suggestion. I work on a IPad mini and can’t get that long link to copy. The downside of not having a PC.

I tested the link before I posted it, I tested it now, it is long so try copy and pasting both lines.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I use a IPad mini and can’t get a link that long to copy. The downside of having a non-working PC.

Im from the uk and am pleading total ignorance but just wondering i fly straight to hvana do i need an esta realky sorry for my stupidtiy and geography

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

If you fly from the U.K. to Havana and stay in Cuba then fly back to the U.K. you should not need an ESTA, but you will need a Cuban visa. If you are to enter the USA at any point you will need an ESTA and a Cuban Visa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We certainly respect and trust the fact that Azamara will do things 'properly' and 'by the law' which they have researched thoroughly, and that they will keep up with an ever changing picture.

I think they will also, like most of the other cruise lines, exploit everyone's fear and confusion over visiting Cuba. Even before Trump changes.

By stating excursions are 'required' through the cruise line, they recoup thousands of excursion dollars they are losing to LEGAL local tour companies.

NCL did this to me and I cruised in MAY 2017 ... long before any changes happened. I did NOT take any NCL excursions. I used OldCarTours.com. They were fantastic, professional, knowledgeable, funny and SO kind. I am a solo female cruiser, FYI.

I think they will also, like most of the other cruise lines, exploit everyone's fear and confusion over visiting Cuba. Even before Trump changes.

By stating excursions are 'required' through the cruise line, they recoup thousands of excursion dollars they are losing to LEGAL local tour companies.

NCL did this to me and I cruised in MAY 2017 ... long before any changes happened. I did NOT take any NCL excursions. I used OldCarTours.com. They were fantastic, professional, knowledgeable, funny and SO kind. I am a solo female cruiser, FYI.

If you will allow me to respond to this, I disagree with the comment that we are exploiting anyone with regards to tours in Cuba! Guests are permitted to purchase a tour offered by a third-party if it is an authorized organization. As with all our destinations, we offer tours for those Guests who don't want to DIY, and in Cuba specifically because DIY research is not as easy as other destinations to find accurate information in advance.

Per our FAQs on Cuba we state:

Do I have to purchase a tour to disembark the ship in Cuba?

To enjoy Cuba, guests must qualify for one of the 12 categories of authorized travel or hold a specific license issued by OFAC. One of the 12 categories, Educational Activities, allows “people-to-people”activities, which can be satisfied by purchasing a tour with Azamara or a third-party program offered by a U.S. sponsoring organization.

Also, your statement "recouping thousands of excursion dollars that they are losing to LEGAL local tour companies" is erroneous on many accounts.

A) Our tours in Cuba are all 100% legal and 100% local. They are organized and conducted by a Cuban tour company assigned to us by the Cuban government! I can say from first-hand experience the buses and tour guides are excellent.

B) many, maybe most, of our tours are being purchased using On-Board Credit (OBC); which has no monetary value when redeemed. An OBC is a good sales incentive but not a tour revenue source!

All this aside, CruiseGal999, we hope someday you'll sail with Azamara and see the difference :ship: :ship: :ship:

If you will allow me to respond to this, I disagree with the comment that we are exploiting anyone with regards to tours in Cuba! Guests are permitted to purchase a tour offered by a third-party if it is an authorized organization. As with all our destinations, we offer tours for those Guests who don't want to DIY, and in Cuba specifically because DIY research is not as easy as other destinations to find accurate information in advance.

Per our FAQs on Cuba we state:

Do I have to purchase a tour to disembark the ship in Cuba?

To enjoy Cuba, guests must qualify for one of the 12 categories of authorized travel or hold a specific license issued by OFAC. One of the 12 categories, Educational Activities, allows “people-to-people”activities, which can be satisfied by purchasing a tour with Azamara or a third-party program offered by a U.S. sponsoring organization.

Also, your statement "recouping thousands of excursion dollars that they are losing to LEGAL local tour companies" is erroneous on many accounts.

A) Our tours in Cuba are all 100% legal and 100% local. They are organized and conducted by a Cuban tour company assigned to us by the Cuban government! I can say from first-hand experience the buses and tour guides are excellent.

B) many, maybe most, of our tours are being purchased using On-Board Credit (OBC); which has no monetary value when redeemed. An OBC is a good sales incentive but not a tour revenue source!

All this aside, CruiseGal999, we hope someday you'll sail with Azamara and see the difference :ship: :ship: :ship:

:'):') Unfortunately, your comments prove my points, the don't negate them. As the OP or other posters here have said, the words excursions "REQUIRED THROUGH the cruise line" have been used to confused and apprehensive cruisers.

Yes, qualified. OldCarTours ARE qualified. Havana Tours with Blexie = Qualified. Pax do NOT HAVE to use cruise line tours. Period.

Cruisers can find TONS of information on TripAdvisor, CC (TONS of threads), a simple google search and booking directly through the local tour company. When they do THAT, cruise lines LOSE those dollars.

No one has asked about using their OBC for excursions ... that I remember. I am not going to re-read all of the posts.

I would NEVER cruise with Azamara. Based on the comments & tone above.

:'):') Unfortunately, your comments prove my points, the don't negate them. As the OP or other posters here have said, the words excursions "REQUIRED THROUGH the cruise line" have been used to confused and apprehensive cruisers.

Yes, qualified. OldCarTours ARE qualified. Havana Tours with Blexie = Qualified. Pax do NOT HAVE to use cruise line tours. Period.

Cruisers can find TONS of information on TripAdvisor, CC (TONS of threads), a simple google search and booking directly through the local tour company. When they do THAT, cruise lines LOSE those dollars.

No one has asked about using their OBC for excursions ... that I remember. I am not going to re-read all of the posts.

I would NEVER cruise with Azamara. Based on the comments & tone above.

Why the negative remarks about Azamara? You have no particular reason to have issues with them as it appears you’ve never cruised with them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great info.. We just received a letter from Azamara re our December Cuba cruise that 2 Visas will be required but Azamara is only going to charge us for one, We were also under the impression that we could use our OBC to cover the Visa, but you are saying this is not the case?

We have never used OBC on Azamara and was under the impression it could be used for settling our onboard account. Are there any other restrictions that we should be aware of?

We too have just had our itinerary changed for Nov 10th. Didn’t realise Azamara were going to charge us an extortionate 75USD for a Visa. Now they say their Itinerary Change (which we don’t want!) requires two visas, but they will cover the cost of the second one! How very generous of them!

We too have just had our itinerary changed for Nov 10th. Didn’t realise Azamara were going to charge us an extortionate 75USD for a Visa. Now they say their Itinerary Change (which we don’t want!) requires two visas, but they will cover the cost of the second one! How very generous of them!

One Visa for Cuba.. not sure how long it is good for. All ships charge the same amount, even when I went by land it was the same,

With respect, all ships do not charge the same amount, and Azamara are telling us that two visas are now needed

WE just got off the Quest...Cuba Intensive visiting 3 ports in Cuba...only 1 visa per passenger was required for a fee of $75 collected by Azamara. (BTW NO OBC could be used for the Visa), Visa was given to us....looked at each time we passed trough customs in Havana...and finally collected in Santiago de cuba our last stop.

You should post your source where azamara is now stating you need 2 visas!!

WE just got off the Quest...Cuba Intensive visiting 3 ports in Cuba...only 1 visa per passenger was required for a fee of $75 collected by Azamara. (BTW NO OBC could be used for the Visa), Visa was given to us....looked at each time we passed trough customs in Havana...and finally collected in Santiago de cuba our last stop.

EMail from Azamara April 9 through TA announcing changes in itinerary times in Cuba and telling us two separate Visa's will be required:

"Please note we have recently been advised that Cuba’s regulations now require a second Visa to be purchased to re-enter the country. Though unforeseeable, Azamara is covering the cost for this second Visa at no additional charge-- they will not be billed for two Visas."

Can you tell me what the procedure was when leaving the ship? If you had a private tour did you have to show proof when leaving the ship?

Can you tell me what the procedure was when leaving the ship? If you had a private tour did you have to show proof when leaving the ship?

We were on the same cruise, I think. None of the Cuban officials asked to see any proof of tours. They only checked the visa. They gave the impression of being glad to see us, whatever we were planning to do ashore. We didn’t have a tour booked for every time we got off the ship. Sometimes we were just walking around town on our own.

No reason for any Cubans or Cuban officials to verify or care about tours being taken or not. It is the US Government who has the rules that have to be certified by the passenger and who has to be satisfied if they ask you. The Cuban officials are only concerned that you have your passport and Cuban Visa.

Well, I have been back three times and all they ask when I flew if I had cigars or rum. Bybship nothing. Always felt easier to go thruncustoms on a ship than plane.

So far no one really cares. Last tour was a car tour. If I was asked would I’d saud car tour.

We were on the same cruise, I think. None of the Cuban officials asked to see any proof of tours. They only checked the visa. They gave the impression of being glad to see us, whatever we were planning to do ashore. We didn’t have a tour booked for every time we got off the ship. Sometimes we were just walking around town on our own.

Thanks for the reply. I take it Azamara also didn't check before they let you leave the ship?