Metal balcony on Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess

I am assuming you mean the railing area, whether it has metal or plexiglass.

Dawn is no longer in the fleet.

Plexiglass is more desirable, for visibility. Metal is typically only forward, lower level balconies, for structural strength.

Sea and Sun specifically list balconies (all categories including mini and full suites) as metal. And the notation is in red which draws special attention. Just wondering what the differences may be that Princess feels they need to highlight.

Edited by vickimcnevinryan

OP is asking about "sheltered balconies" that are built into the hull rather than "hung" on the outside of the cabin.

I have been in such cabins on the QM2. Biggest issue for some is the very limited view while you are inside the cabin. But the in-hull balcony offers full shade and near-total privacy while outside. If you like breakfast al fresco or sitting out in the fresh air no matter the weather an enclosed balcony will be great for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP is asking about "sheltered balconies" that are built into the hull rather than "hung" on the outside of the cabin.

I have been in such cabins on the QM2. Biggest issue for some is the very limited view while you are inside the cabin. But the in-hull balcony offers full shade and near-total privacy while outside. If you like breakfast al fresco or sitting out in the fresh air no matter the weather an enclosed balcony will be great for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yep...you are right. I was thinking about newer ships that have more open balcony construction styles. Sun and Sea are older...

They are older ships and that is the way balconies were done when they were built. They highlight it to make you aware that they are not plexiglas and have the wrong expectation and complain bitterly about the obstructed view. EM

Worst experience was on the Sun. When ship built, no balconies, all ocean view. Large oval opening were made in the hull and a "second" exterior hull constructed to create a minuscule 36" deep balcony. That 3 feet was taken from the foot print of the cabins. The result was balcony to shallow to use and a smaller cabin.

Worst experience was on the Sun. When ship built, no balconies, all ocean view. Large oval opening were made in the hull and a "second" exterior hull constructed to create a minuscule 36" deep balcony. That 3 feet was taken from the foot print of the cabins. The result was balcony to shallow to use and a smaller cabin.

That's still better than no balcony, IMHO.

That's still better than no balcony, IMHO.

Correct, except on this ship by creating this bizarre floor plan, the actual square footage of the cabin was reduced 48 Sq Ft. Princess unloaded this ship soon after we sailed.

Correct, except on this ship by creating this bizarre floor plan, the actual square footage of the cabin was reduced 48 Sq Ft. Princess unloaded this ship soon after we sailed.

If you are talking about the Sun Princess, she is still in the Princess fleet, in Australia.

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2018 at 4:12 PM, sloopsailor said:

A picture might help:

10231.jpg

That doesn't look so bad. I was afraid it would be solid metal. That would be very undesirable for me. But just a few pipes is no problem. It looks like there is still plenty of view through the above photo. But why did someone else say it offers complete privacy on the balcony? It looks to me that anyone on the dock while in port can still see you, though they may have a partially "obstructed view". We have cabin R310 on the Sea Princess on a future cruise with a "Metal Balcony".