We're back, it's rick & ron on the ss mariner--miami to san francisco (april 18,2018)

GUESS WHAT ! The Coffee Connection just posted on their Menu French Press. It's in a different type face so it looks like they made he change. We'll check it out to see if it's true later. Happy. Happy :>). If you feel obligated to buy us a drink, that's OK! .'>).

Guess that someone went to the store and purchased a French press! Not sure what this means for other ships.

Or they when in the storage and opened a box. We'll have to wait and see tomorrow if they are using them...We've only saw it on the menu. :>)

Sounds as though you are really relaxing lovely cruise and I know what you mean about food.

We were on a cruise at Christmas [not Regent] and I just wanted a plain ham and pickle [being English, this is a chutney type pickle] and I knew they had some on board, so asked if they could supply me with some bread, ham and the pickle which they did, quite happily and I thoroughly enjoyed my sandwiches.

Love the way the crew go out of their way to make your cruise so very special.

OK, we can't get that excited just yet. The Coffee Connection did indeed post French Press on the menu, but don't (can't find) any press pots. But they do intend to get some they told us at breakfast this morning. So we broke the News to soon. Sorry;) but that is what it is. .'>)

OK, we can't get that excited just yet. The Coffee Connection did indeed post French Press on the menu, but don't (can't find) any press pots. But they do intend to get some they told us at breakfast this morning. So we broke the News to soon. Sorry;) but that is what it is. .'>)

It definitely sounds as if someone is going shopping at a port and will purchase some because it takes a while for shipments from Miami to reach the ships and likely could not be done during one cruise. Also wondering if they will just be used for this cruise (since it was requested) and will be put in a back room on future cruises - unless it is requested again. As you said fairly recently about consistency (Chartreuse) Regent likes to keep things the same across all of their ships (except for the few extra things on Explorer).

Guatemala

Well we ported this morning in Guatemala, nice sailing last night which was very smooth again. If we didn’t know better you would think we’re on a lake, not the ocean.

Dinner last night was in Compass Rose, food and service was as good as it is always. The only exception was the sushi plate, although good just a very, very small portion. Oh, and for some reason the soufflé was over baked. It was good in flavor,but a bit hard. We stop by a lounge fora few minutes, before going to the show. You guessed it, never made it to the show. Went back to the suite early and never came out. I guess we’re getting this rest and relaxing down pretty good.

Well it’s Guatemala tour day. I have to say the people who man the desk for Destination Services are really good. We ask a few questions and they always are helpful with answers and do it in a nice way.

Again before retirement I spend a lot of time here and since I was in produce business I’ve seen most of it. Once you arrive in a country on business, they always setup time for touring. Ron went on a few of these trips with me so he’s fine with not going out today. Yes we cancelled our tour for today and after seeing the buses I’m thinking it was a good idea. So we’ll be doing what we do best, nothing at all and just enjoy the ship.

Maybe Ron will work on his new book, The Best of Doing Nothing, even when you want to do something. Should be a best seller one would think. However if they ask him to do a book tour,that may not work out for him, because he plans on doing nothing.

Let you know how that goes later, hope you’re enjoying thepost—let us know what else we can cover for you.

Rick

OK when to a few lounges playing live, sound wasn't so loud unless you we're right next to it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I asked was that when I was on the Explorer many months ago, the music was so loud it was uncomfortable. Complaining about the volume rarely helped. I was hoping that this wasn't going to a system wide problem.

It definitely sounds as if someone is going shopping at a port and will purchase some because it takes a while for shipments from Miami to reach the ships and likely could not be done during one cruise. Also wondering if they will just be used for this cruise (since it was requested) and will be put in a back room on future cruises - unless it is requested again. As you said fairly recently about consistency (Chartreuse) Regent likes to keep things the same across all of their ships (except for the few extra things on Explorer).

Don't think so because it'son the menu, so I really think it was an over site. However once we mention it they realized they didn't have it. No big deal but I'm sure it will turn up soon and stay on the ship.

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I asked was that when I was on the Explorer many months ago, the music was so loud it was uncomfortable. Complaining about the volume rarely helped. I was hoping that this wasn't going to a system wide problem.

No don't worry it's not uncomfortable at all. You can hear the people you're talking with, just not a problem.

Guatemala

Well we ported this morning in Guatemala, nice sailing last night which was very smooth again. If we didn’t know better you would think we’re on a lake, not the ocean.

Dinner last night was in Compass Rose, food and service was as good as it is always. The only exception was the sushi plate, although good just a very, very small portion. Oh, and for some reason the soufflé was over baked. It was good in flavor,but a bit hard. We stop by a lounge fora few minutes, before going to the show. You guessed it, never made it to the show. Went back to the suite early and never came out. I guess we’re getting this rest and relaxing down pretty good.

Well it’s Guatemala tour day. I have to say the people who man the desk for Destination Services are really good. We ask a few questions and they always are helpful with answers and do it in a nice way.

Again before retirement I spend a lot of time here and since I was in produce business I’ve seen most of it. Once you arrive in a country on business, they always setup time for touring. Ron went on a few of these trips with me so he’s fine with not going out today. Yes we cancelled our tour for today and after seeing the buses I’m thinking it was a good idea. So we’ll be doing what we do best, nothing at all and just enjoy the ship.

Maybe Ron will work on his new book, The Best of Doing Nothing, even when you want to do something. Should be a best seller one would think. However if they ask him to do a book tour,that may not work out for him, because he plans on doing nothing.

Let you know how that goes later, hope you’re enjoying thepost—let us know what else we can cover for you.

Rick

Very much enjoying your commentary and observations. We had such a great time on that ship and I truly had a harder time adjusting back to realty. I’m generally ready to return from vacation, but not so much this time.

Your comment about the soufflé brought back the night 4 at our table of 7 ordered the dessert soufflé and they all came out underdone. So sorry was the reply....they were whisked away as our conversation continued and a short time later more came, looking beautiful on the surface, but still underdone. We had soufflés a couple nights before and they were great. So not sure what the issue was this particular night. Certainly they are a more precise dessert, requiring very different care in preparation, than many desserts. Again they were taken away and new brought out. This time I could see the section manager checking them carefully before bringing them to the table. They were a bit better, but still not quite right. The soufflé orderers at the table gave up at that point. Maybe out of an abundance of caution they have adjusted oven temps and times for the soufflés, so a little overdone rather than under.

I hope you guys continue to enjoy doing as much or as little as desired. I can’t wait for retirement to do the same! And I would definitely read Ron’s book 😀

Very much enjoying your commentary and observations. We had such a great time on that ship and I truly had a harder time adjusting back to realty. I’m generally ready to return from vacation, but not so much this time.

Your comment about the soufflé brought back the night 4 at our table of 7 ordered the dessert soufflé and they all came out underdone. So sorry was the reply....they were whisked away as our conversation continued and a short time later more came, looking beautiful on the surface, but still underdone. We had soufflés a couple nights before and they were great. So not sure what the issue was this particular night. Certainly they are a more precise dessert, requiring very different care in preparation, than many desserts. Again they were taken away and new brought out. This time I could see the section manager checking them carefully before bringing them to the table. They were a bit better, but still not quite right. The soufflé orderers at the table gave up at that point. Maybe out of an abundance of caution they have adjusted oven temps and times for the soufflés, so a little overdone rather than under.

I hope you guys continue to enjoy doing as much or as little as desired. I can’t wait for retirement to do the same! And I would definitely read Ron’s book 😀

Thanks, it's funny we had the souffle twice on the cruise and they we're great--but the 3rd time not so. About retirement--you'll enjoy when you do. I really don't best the meetings, deadlines, budgets or even the job, I do miss the people. But that's all, well to be honest I do miss the "Perks". But retirement is good.

"The Best of Doing Nothing"

Best title I have heard for a book! It describes what I am doing now after being retired for 4 years. Tempts me to buy a copy if he gets around to writing it which would be something not nothing :-).

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your latest cruise and especially sharing it with us!!

A little more about Guatemala day in port

We got off the ship today, believe it or not. Didn’t go far, and it really was hot and muggy. We we’re gone for about an hour before we return to the ship to have lunch. The road stands near the ship weren’t so great let alone the food stalls we saw as we drove by.

Lunch was good in La Veranda; sat out back on the deck. Since this is a working port not much to see from the deck, but a lot of noise all around you. We sat with friends we’ve met on the ship; we’ve had lunch with them before—nice people and enjoy the conversation. It turned into a long lunch.

I was going to sit on our deck and watch the buses come back from tours. Didn’t happen as I took a well deserved nap from doing nothing while Ron went too the gym.

We waited for the Butler to bring evening snacks arriving right on time to the suite. You can set your watch to him, but since retirement I stop wearing one. Other than a doctor appointment, no need for a watch although nothing is that important except embarkation of the ship.

Dinner tonight with other friends we met on our last Regent cruise, they cruise a lot on Regent. We had another enjoyable night. Dinner was good except my main course Veal Milanese was raw (part of it), I think they just didn’t pound it down as half was cooked just right and the half near the bone was the raw part. But all in all everything was good, and the service was perfect.

After dinner our friends made us (ok asked) to attend Name That Tune. It’s fun because of them, but I’m retired now for 10 years and about 95% of the songs were before I was born. We all went into the show afterward didn’t stay after the opening number. This team needs to work together a bit more, it just wasn’t that good. Just IMO, but a few people that have cruised on Regent a lot more than us said the same. They say the entertainment on this cruise just isn’t that good.

During dinner and after in the lounges we also heard the tours today was a bust-not good at all. So we made the right choice to cancel. Now we are going to go on a few in Mexico, even thought we are enjoying this cruise I feel like we’re losing money by not touring.

During the night we were suppose to have rough seas, it did not happen, we had a great night sleep. This morning winds we’re to be 45 miles an hour. No winds and smooth sailing on the Pacific. It is foggy this morning and its s a sea day---yes another perfect day to do nothing. Well, coffee in the suite, rolls and some fresh fruit. What more could you ask?

I have to say this, even with a few mishaps (really more mishaps at home) they are so miner that it shouldn’t make anyone cruising on this ship from not having a good time. This cruise has been fun, entertaining, great food, great service and you can do as much or as little as you want. And yes we’re looking forward to our next Mariner cruise.

"The Best of Doing Nothing"

Best title I have heard for a book! It describes what I am doing now after being retired for 4 years. Tempts me to buy a copy if he gets around to writing it which would be something not nothing :-).

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your latest cruise and especially sharing it with us!!

Hey Ken

Ron here. Watch for it soon on Amazon prebook sales; word of warning could be 20 years before shipping. Don't let it interfere with your doing nothing. Today we practice napping!

Just to let you know Code Red, not yet but the Captain just announced over the PA that we have one passenger with intestinal problems and if "anyone" fells sick please report to the Doctor at once. Do not wait. Be sure to wash your hands. So let's hope people do the right thing here.

Just to let you know Code Red, not yet but the Captain just announced over the PA that we have one passenger with intestinal problems and if "anyone" fells sick please report to the Doctor at once. Do not wait. Be sure to wash your hands. So let's hope people do the right thing here.

Rick, did they announce that doctor's visits will be free for those with intestinal issues?

thanks,

Marc

Day #8 Puntaraenas,Costa Rica Wednesday

Really nice morning! Took a walk around the ship! Thenhad coffee in the suite. Afterwardsbreakfast at La Veranda, the banana blue berry pancakes were really good. More coffee, then off to take a look around,walked down the pier, and it was pretty hot. No tours today as we had visited Costa Rica on business many timesbefore I retired, so we’ve seen a lot on those visits.

Back to the ship to freshen up, met up with new friends andhad a light lunch at La Veranda an enjoyable lunch with them. We ate outside onthe back deck, cool breeze and all. Haveto say La Veranda does a nice job with the food and service. Always fresh and never looks like you’re thelast person to eat.

After lunch we met upby accident with Maria the Restaurant Manager for the ship in the CoffeeConnection. We met her on our Explorercruise of course we asked her why the Coffee Connection doesn’t have FrenchPress. She indicated I don’t know, butit should-let me look into that and made some notes about it. Yea! Maybe! Who knows!

Time for sail away, a bus was late getting back from atour. Of course they waited. Seas so far are smooth.

We both decided we’ve reach the point too much food. So we cancelled our dinner reservations for tonightand had the Butler do a one course setup. Chef Salad and a Club Sandwich, that’s it and we’ll call it a night.

I forgot to mention that the Observation Lounge in the frontof the ship is really done right, looks great and the view super.

One last thing before we go, who ever designed the furniturefor the ship (and it’s the same for all ships) must be a very shortperson. I’m not tall by any means, andthe chairs, sofas are so low we find it hard to get out of them onceseated. They look nice, very comfortableuntil you want to get up. I’m older,could be fitter—but still!

Hi Ron Rick, thanks for your wonderful posts. We were on the TA before you and enjoyed the Mariner very much. A couple of comments. First, I agree about the furniture in the lounges. Last year we did the reverse Panama Canal cruise on Navigator. We played trivia on both ships (and twice on Voyager) and my knees were killing me from sitting in those chairs in the Observation Lounge. Sofas better, but not by much. And I’m only 5’3”!

Agree with TC about suite size, we were in a standard suite and the Mariner is much smaller in feel, although we both thought it the best bathroom. Our favorite ship remains Voyager but Mariner is a close 2nd. Perhaps the upgrade is worth it. Doing nothing is what we like best about cruising and occasionally declare a sea day at home on the weekends!😁

Hi Ron Rick, thanks for your wonderful posts. We were on the TA before you and enjoyed the Mariner very much. A couple of comments. First, I agree about the furniture in the lounges. Last year we did the reverse Panama Canal cruise on Navigator. We played trivia on both ships (and twice on Voyager) and my knees were killing me from sitting in those chairs in the Observation Lounge. Sofas better, but not by much. And I’m only 5’3”!

Agree with TC about suite size, we were in a standard suite and the Mariner is much smaller in feel, although we both thought it the best bathroom. Our favorite ship remains Voyager but Mariner is a close 2nd. Perhaps the upgrade is worth it. Doing nothing is what we like best about cruising and occasionally declare a sea day at home on the weekends!😁

Thanks, that's what we do best. I really the small feel of the ship. Smaller ship but Big on service-The Mariner has a great staff.

Agree with TC about suite size, we were in a standard suite and the Mariner is much smaller in feel, although we both thought it the best bathroom. Our favorite ship remains Voyager but Mariner is a close 2nd. Perhaps the upgrade is worth it. Doing nothing is what we like best about cruising and occasionally declare a sea day at home on the weekends!

Agree with you about the chairs - they are soooo low. I had issues with my knee 3 years ago (and have an issue with my other knee now) and find it extremely difficult to get up from such chairs. Given the age of Regent passengers and the fact that knee replacements are almost doubling every year (due to running on pavement and doing to much weight in the gym) we need chairs that are a bit higher.

Like Ron and Rick, we tend to stay onboard the ships quite a bit. We look at it as our winter home away from home where we are with our "extended family" and since we have been around the world have little desire to visit ports (other than to take strolls around the city to see markets and local stores).

I find it interesting that Ron and Rick prefer the Mariner to the Explorer since the Mariner is our 3rd favorite ship. However, it shows how what one person loves another may not love. This also shows how subjective all of our reviews are.

Wow...sorry to hear that someone onboard is having intestinal issues. When cruising on Regent we think the coffee is spiked...

not with booze but with a laxative! We always have a Code Red when onboard!

Like I said it's not a call for Code Red, they are being cautious which I think is good. Better safe then sorry.