We're back, it's rick & ron on the ss mariner--miami to san francisco (april 18,2018)

Day #4 Cartegena Saturday April 21

Well let’s get started for today, and I’m going to backtrack a little. Sea was a little roughyesterday. When the sea water splashesup hard on the windows, and you’re onthe 11th floor that’s rough. Duringthe evening it was OK and coming into port was easy. We port today in Cartagena—a port I couldhave missed. However DestinationServices did a good job getting everyone to the right place. They are friendly and helpful.

I kind of like the ship, the look is good and makes you feellike your cruising on a small ship with good services all around you. Everything you need is at hand and not faraway.

We’ve eaten at most of the restaurants on the ship. I’ll let you know what I think about each andthe service they give. I was a littlesurprised to see so many of the service staff from the Explorer on this shipand a lot of them remembered us from that cruise. This is only our 2nd cruise withRegent and we’re enjoying it as much as the last one.

OK, Compass Rose. Very nice room, nice color scheme and doesn’t have that crowded feeling,nor does it feel like you’re in a banquet room at a meeting. The food was good, some of the courses werereally good. Service was good.

Chartreuse, was done nicely! Food was close as you can get to French without being in France. Service was outstanding. We both had the terrine of foie gras pate wasthe best I’ve had in a long time (really). Then followed by Artichoke Soup which was delicious, follow by the DoverSole, good but not great. For Dessertthe Floating Island, not only presented beautifully, but tasted wonderful. Service was stellar and the little gift boxof cookies was a nice touch to say good bye.

Prime7, the look was great very contemporary from theentrance to the inside. I really likedthe way they did this restaurants interior, everything about it is right on,our favorite so far. Service wasoutstanding. Steaks where cooked toorder and came out as ordered. Side orderswere hot and tasty. Ordered the popcorn sundae! The extra calories were not worth it! The whole staff was on top of their game.

La Veranda, Service good, food at lunch good. Breakfast was just so-so at best!

The Coffee Connection, this is a loser to me. No French Press. Want a cup of coffee, they tell you to go toa machine to make your own. Snacks weregood…..But they need to change this or call it something else. Service was pleasant. Hope Regent does something here.

The Mariner Lounge, very nice cocktail lounge! Very comfortable to sit and discuss the daysactivities. Service again is good.

That’s it for tonight, tomorrow is another day. We’re going to stay on the ship and enjoyher. Tomorrow is a on board BBQ, other restaurantsare closed except Compass Rose. Eatingat Sette Mari later in the week and we’ll let you know.

Butler and Stewardess/steward are excellent, they are herewhen you need them---if this keeps up it’s going to be a great cruise.

This is Ron of ronrick1943. I am the picture taker and I have been neglectful of about taking pictures. I will get pic's of the suite. Today while everyone off ship will take pictures of dining rooms etc. Then I will figure out how to post. Hang in there. The cruise is wonderful! Although speaking with season Regent cruisers they say their have been some changes in Regent (they say small things). They can't pinpoint it. They have been on Mariner prior to refurbishment. Will let you know.

Ron

Thanks Ron & Rick for sharing your Mariner cruise and thoughts with us. Appreciate your cuisine comments and look forward to your photos. Continue to have a terrific cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your detailed blog as I’m a newbie to Regent. Very helpful info. I’m somewhat surprised to learn that at the coffee connection you have to make your own coffee at the machine. I know the machine as I’ve used them on River Cruises in a DIY lounge. But I was imagining the Coffee Connection to be like on Celebrity ships where it’s like a Starbucks type and baristas prepare your coffee. Not a deal breaker but surprising

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you both for your detailed blog as I’m a newbie to Regent. Very helpful info. I’m somewhat surprised to learn that at the coffee connection you have to make your own coffee at the machine. I know the machine as I’ve used them on River Cruises in a DIY lounge. But I was imagining the Coffee Connection to be like on Celebrity ships where it’s like a Starbucks type and baristas prepare your coffee. Not a deal breaker but surprising

Your surprised! So we're we.......Regent needs to work this out and be consisted line wide. That was one of the things we enjoyed on SS Explorer was a French Press or brewed coffee. Everything else is great at the Coffee Connection. It's a easy fix and isn't costly to Regent. A few others agree. PS, the machine broke the other day and was down for a few hours :>)love it!

The Coffee Connection, this is a loser to me. No French Press. Want a cup of coffee, they tell you to go toa machine to make your own. Snacks weregood…..But they need to change this or call it something else. Service was pleasant. Hope Regent does something here.

I’m somewhat surprised to learn that at the coffee connection you have to make your own coffee at the machine. I know the machine as I’ve used them on River Cruises in a DIY lounge. But I was imagining the Coffee Connection to be like on Celebrity ships where it’s like a Starbucks type and baristas prepare your coffee. Not a deal breaker but surprising

Something seems to have gone wrong with Coffee Connection since our TransAtlantic crossing on Mariner.

We were always able to get a coffee made to our exact requirements by the Barista on duty.

Yes there were also self-serve machines for those that preferred, but we were never directed to them in preference to the staff preparing and serving our order.

Maybe there is a problem with staff and/or equipment? Suggest you have a word with the F&B Manager or Asst F&B to bottom out the issue as being told to make your own coffee is not right. :(

Day #4 Cartegena Saturday April 21

You should be able to have coffee made for you. I would check with Donald (F&B Dir.). In terms of the name, due to popular demand, The "Cafe" on Explorer is being renamed "Coffee Connection" (which will also be the name on Splendor). Not even the crew learned to call the Coffee Connection by another name. BTW, only Explorer has French Press but, Explorer intentionally has a few things that the other ships do not (extra dining venue, specialty restaurants open at lunch, special buffet brunch in CR when Sunday is a sea day, etc.) - these are some of the things that make her special.

I’m not sure why French press coffee should be an “exclusive” to the Explorer. Given that the brewed coffee is almost undrinkable on Regent and many people don’t want an expresso drink, French press with a good grade of ground beans should be a no brainer!

You should be able to have coffee made for you. I would check with Donald (F&B Dir.). In terms of the name, due to popular demand, The "Cafe" on Explorer is being renamed "Coffee Connection" (which will also be the name on Splendor). Not even the crew learned to call the Coffee Connection by another name. BTW, only Explorer has French Press but, Explorer intentionally has a few things that the other ships do not (extra dining venue, specialty restaurants open at lunch, special buffet brunch in CR when Sunday is a sea day, etc.) - these are some of the things that make her special.

I realize that, however Fresh Press is pretty simple. And the reason Regent changed the names of the restaurants and menus was for continuity of the line. It just makes good business.

I don’t drink coffee, but I am really sure that they will make coffee for you in the coffee connection. I am a tea drinker, and I go there and make my own. But not infrequently, the barista sees what I am doing and offers to make it for me. So this needs to be addressed. Talk to the F&B manager about it.

Something seems to have gone wrong with Coffee Connection since our TransAtlantic crossing on Mariner.

We were always able to get a coffee made to our exact requirements by the Barista on duty.

Yes there were also self-serve machines for those that preferred, but we were never directed to them in preference to the staff preparing and serving our order.

Maybe there is a problem with staff and/or equipment? Suggest you have a word with the F&B Manager or Asst F&B to bottom out the issue as being told to make your own coffee is not right. :(

We also had coffee and tea made for us everyday (often more than once!) at Coffee Connection on the TA. You could also make your own (and they were installing) a second self serve machine, but the service from the staff was great. I can’t imagine being told to make your own. I agree with Susan to speak to someone about it.

I realize that, however Fresh Press is pretty simple. And the reason Regent changed the names of the restaurants and menus was for continuity of the line. It just makes good business.

Confused - Regent changed the names of restaurants? Other than replacing Signatures with a different concept restaurant (Chartreuse), the names have remained the same for a long time (as far as I know). According to our sources, "Café" just wasn't working. After all, the focus of the venue is having various types of coffees with food being secondary - kinda like Starbucks.

Rachel - my DH used to get coffee from the Coffee Connection regularly. Then he learned that the reason he "reacts" to coffee on Regent is the filtering of the grounds - paper seems to take out most of the volatile oils which is what we use at home.

I feel that some "baristas" on Regent need lessons. When I've ordered French Coffee without whipped cream, it comes out all sort of different ways. If they just read the menu, it would likely come out perfectly.

I’m not sure why French press coffee should be an “exclusive” to the Explorer. Given that the brewed coffee is almost undrinkable on Regent and many people don’t want an expresso drink, French press with a good grade of ground beans should be a no brainer!

I agree. The French press was about the only way to get drinkable coffee on the Explorer. Even the Cafe Americano was anemic most of the time. I'm disappointed it's not on the other ships, as I'll be getting on the Navigator in two months. Here's hoping they know how to make Cafe Americano at least.

:halo:

Confused - Regent changed the names of restaurants? Other than replacing Signatures with a different concept restaurant (Chartreuse), the names have remained the same for a long time (as far as I know). According to our sources, "Café" just wasn't working. After all, the focus of the venue is having various types of coffees with food being secondary - kinda like Starbucks.

Rachel - my DH used to get coffee from the Coffee Connection regularly. Then he learned that the reason he "reacts" to coffee on Regent is the filtering of the grounds - paper seems to take out most of the volatile oils which is what we use at home.

I feel that some "baristas" on Regent need lessons. When I've ordered French Coffee without whipped cream, it comes out all sort of different ways. If they just read the menu, it would likely come out perfectly.

I don't know why your confused..I was talking about Signatures to Chartreuse now making all restaurant the same and menus the same system wide. We haven't had a problems with baristas, maybe your "Expectations are to high".

In the "old" days, I used to see people bring wines of choice onboard the different cruise lines we sailed. Now, I see people bringing their own coffee presses/coffee travel sets/coffee beans/etc. and making their own coffee.

wishIweretravelling, you might want to look into that option. If you can't get the coffee you like, you could make your own coffee with your own kit/beans. If the coffee onboard is good, leave the coffee making to the baristas onboard.

Edited by mariners

:halo:

I don't know why your confused..I was talking about Signatures to Chartreuse now making all restaurant the same and menus the same system wide. We haven't had a problems with baristas, maybe your "Expectations are to high".

Oh - now I understand. Regent has done this in the past when they want to change a restaurant. Signatures used to be under the Le Cordon Blu umbrella and when the contract ended, it took a while to to make the change. Typically Regent does not have to do a refurbishment in order to change restaurants -- they just do it. Since they were already going to refurbish all ships, it was rolled out slowly (except for the CR menu that was rolled out on all the ships fairly quickly).

I don't think that wildly consistent ways of preparing the same coffee has to do with expectations other than expecting it to be made close to the same way every time (not in as an espresso one time and coffee another for instance).

In any case, I was agreeing about the Coffee Connection not being up to par which has been brought up by others and considered the fact that you were told to make your own coffee a problem with the baristas.

Just to let you know coffee is now made in the Coffee Connection. French Press next....The new F&B manager came on the ship.

So, will Mariner have French press coffee when the new F&B manager comes on board? Each time we travel with Regent, we bring our travel French press and adequate French roast to get us through the trip!

I’m an early riser so my job is to stagger down to the coffee connection early in the morning, belly up to the self serve machine, and add hot water to the coffee grounds. I snag two mugs and go back to the suite so my darling husband can leisurely wake up to th smell of freshly brewed coffee. And, yes, I’ve gotten some strange looks.

Just to let you know coffee is now made in the Coffee Connection. French Press next....The new F&B manager came on the ship.

Ronrick

Enjoying your posts. I saw your post on another thread that you sailed from Lisbon Agree that east to west is preferable and have booked the Splendor Miami to LA for that reason. I digress. We will be taking a river cruise and will spend several days in Lisbon at the end. Would welcome your advice re restaurants and “not to be missed”. Apologies for this off topic post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ronrick

Enjoying your posts. I saw your post on another thread that you sailed from Lisbon Agree that east to west is preferable and have booked the Splendor Miami to LA for that reason. I digress. We will be taking a river cruise and will spend several days in Lisbon at the end. Would welcome your advice re restaurants and “not to be missed”. Apologies for this off topic post.

Eagleslover, if you want more of a response about Lisbon, you might want to start a thread. If you ask here on the Regent board, make sure the title asks specifically for past Regent pax experience, else the thread might get moved to one of the Europe boards (it might not be a bad idea to post there too.)

We have been to Lisbon a couple of times, once for about a week, and just love that city--we were recently talking about how to rent an apartment there and spend a month. Only downside is that it is a *very* vertical city, not for the fainthearted or sore-footed.

Eagleslover, if you want more of a response about Lisbon, you might want to start a thread. If you ask here on the Regent board, make sure the title asks specifically for past Regent pax experience, else the thread might get moved to one of the Europe boards (it might not be a bad idea to post there too.)

We have been to Lisbon a couple of times, once for about a week, and just love that city--we were recently talking about how to rent an apartment there and spend a month. Only downside is that it is a *very* vertical city, not for the fainthearted or sore-footed.

Thanks Wendy. Was specifically seeking opinion of ronrick on the issue since we enjoy their posts

Ronrick

That is Ron's department,he'll get back to you on that. We had a few that we liked, that said things change so fast that what was good the other day isn't good today. But he'll let you know.

Seabourn has it, not only at their coffee bar but also at La Veranda, and their dining room of course

NCL had French press for breakfast at their VIP restaurant

It makes zero sense for Regent to not have French press coffee

Seabourn has it, not only at their coffee bar but also at La Veranda, and their dining room of course

NCL had French press for breakfast at their VIP restaurant

It makes zero sense for Regent to not have French press coffee

It is what it is. Kinda funny that NCL has it (will check it out when we do a preview cruise of their new ship next month). Just thinking about a "VIP restaurant" makes me shutter! Interesting that no one has ever asked to have French press coffee on Regent on CC (that I recall). While French press can be quite good, they are still using the same beans and there is no filter to take out the volatile oils! In terms of Seabourn, I'm sure that Regent has things that they don't have. All luxury lines are a bit different which gives us choices of which cruise line to sail on.