We're back, it's rick & ron on the ss mariner--miami to san francisco (april 18,2018)

I am confused by this coffee discussion! I thought that there were Lilly Espresso machines in all the bigger suites on Regent - have they gone? With one of those you can make coffee like the "French Press" - just run more water through the pod than it is designed to usually have (push the button twice and don't change the pod).

Another thing I have never understood - the coffee on Oceania is really quite good. For me - an espresso/lungo Nespresso fanatic - I could actually drink the coffee there at breakfast. On Regent I have had to go to the espresso machine on the pool deck, make a triple espresso in a mug and then take it into la Veranda for breakfast!! how come one part of a company's brands can get it right and the other can't?

Seabourn has it, not only at their coffee bar but also at La Veranda, and their dining room of course

NCL had French press for breakfast at their VIP restaurant

It makes zero sense for Regent to not have French press coffee

+1

It would not take much effort for Regent to equip all its ships with a few cafetière for those who like their coffee prepared in this way.

Luxury is about meeting and exceeding the customer's expectations. In the case of the OP their expectations have not yet been met. Hopefully this will be corrected.

Day #5 Colon, Panama Sunday

Today was a nice day on the ship. Most people took off for tours. We have been here before so we decided to stay put. It was kind of nice to see the ship with just a few people. In La Veranda it was empty, but they kept everything nice and fresh. Service was good. The food was pretty good.

It was hot and humid for most of the day and evening. They had the Grand Bar-B-Q for dinner tonight. Lots of food, really nice food stations around the pool. Ice carvings and all---however they started to melt with the heat of the night. We took a look as we made our way to Compass Rose for dinner. Ron took a few pics he will post as soon as figures it out.

Sorry but it was just too hot to eat outside tonight. As we passed by we were offered a cold tropical drink. Didn’t know they had a back way into Compass Rose, take the back elevator down to 6. They greet you right after exiting the elevator. Once seated the service began, drinks and so on. We didn’t feel rushed at all during dinner. Both dinner and service was top notch.

I’m starting to readjust my thinking on best places to eat on the ship for dinner. In order it’s Prime 7, Compass Rose followed by Chartreuse. We haven’t eaten at Sette Mari, but we’ll be trying that tomorrow night.

Also we plan on taking in the show tomorrow night.

That’s about it for today, not too much happening but an enjoyable day for us. Ron practice doing nothing.

Ah, I so love the occasional self-imposed sea day, and the run of the ship that comes with it. Thanks for the updates.

Sorry about hijacking back to coffee, but as a devoted caffeine addict, it's a subject near and dear to my heart. Mariners, I am seriously considering bringing my own french press, but since our next cruise is 89 nights, I'm not sure I'm up for bringing aboard a suitcase full of coffee to go with it. I'm wondering if I can take it to the coffee connection and have them make it up there with the ship's coffee. Travelcat2, you're right that it's still the same coffee. They appear to use illy throughout the ship, which I'm not crazy about, but with a french press, I can at least make it strong enough to mask the lack of body. I don't mind the oils from a lack of filter. Hambagahle, yes, the concierge and above suites have coffeemakers, but those of us in the not-so-cheap "cheap seats" need a decent coffee fix. And the one time I was in a concierge suite I found, as forgap notes, that the coffee the machines make there is not very good.

Yeah, very much first world problem. But this is a message board about cruising, so problems discussed here are pretty much first world by definition.

So for clarity and as a newbie, is there a Barista at the Coffee Connection, or is it self-serve only? We are on Mariner in Nov.

When we were on Mariner for the TA, there was always at least one Barista at Coffee Connection during the hours it was open. There was also a self serve machine (and a second one being installed) that makes a variety of coffees and also has hot water and good tea bag choices that’s available 24 hours a day.

So for clarity and as a newbie, is there a Barista at the Coffee Connection, or is it self-serve only? We are on Mariner in Nov.

Yes, so don't worry---they for some reason wanted you to use the self serve if you wanted a cup of coffee. Now the Barista will make you a cup. Think they are talking about French Press now. Will let you if they do.

It is what it is. Kinda funny that NCL has it (will check it out when we do a preview cruise of their new ship next month). Just thinking about a "VIP restaurant" makes me shutter! Interesting that no one has ever asked to have French press coffee on Regent on CC (that I recall). While French press can be quite good, they are still using the same beans and there is no filter to take out the volatile oils! In terms of Seabourn, I'm sure that Regent has things that they don't have. All luxury lines are a bit different which gives us choices of which cruise line to sail on.

VIP restaurant is just one of the specialty restaurants that the suite guests can go to for breakfast/lunch. Shudder? WAY harsh. I imagine many of NCL passengers would "shudder" at paying five, ten? times as much for a regent cruise

Bottom line, French press coffee should absolutely be on a luxury ship!

VIP restaurant is just one of the specialty restaurants that the suite guests can go to for breakfast/lunch. Shudder? WAY harsh. I imagine many of NCL passengers would "shudder" at paying five, ten? times as much for a regent cruise

Bottom line, French press coffee should absolutely be on a luxury ship!

Sorry, off topic. Purpleally - We met on our only Regent cruise. I have lost your email. And, mine has changed. Please email me - kpamatot@aol.com.

Hi coffee lovers.

This is Ron of Ronrick1943. FYI, they use illy expresso beans in the coffee connection. With a good barista can brew a great cup of coffee using those beans. Which was done yesterday. Absolutely perfect regardless of those so called volatile oils. We use illy at home so I find the coffee quite good. As far as the machines that have the beans on top. Fresh ground???? Is it for show? I never hear any grounding of beans when selecting a coffee. The coffee tastes synthetic? That is mine opinion.

Ron

Thanks Wendy. Was specifically seeking opinion of ronrick on the issue since we enjoy their posts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Eagleslover

This is Ron of Rickron1943 email me at roninwlv@aol.com. In subject put LISBON. Rick and I were in Lisbon last year before the crossing. We always eat at least one good place. Then where ever the locals eat. We also took cooking lessons which were fun. I will send info.

Ron

Day #6 Panama Canal Transit Monday

Another day of relaxation, today we will be going through the Canal. We had a light breakfast inthe suite this morning. The canal crossing started early at 6:30AM. We’ve done the crossing before but it’s amazing to see it again. It took about 4+ hours to get to the lake. This suite is perfect for the crossing. It’s location in the front of the ship right over the bridge (in fact you can see Captain Serena and staff working during the transit from the suite deck). You also have two large windows looking forward seeing each lock full of water before it opens. It really is quite a sight. It’s something to think about if you’re planning a canal crossing.

Thinking about it now, I’m glad we booked this suite for our Tokyo/Vancouver cruise as I think the view through Alaska we should have great views from the suite windows.

Anyway back to this cruise, we’re going to lounge around the pool. Then lunch will be at La Veranda ,and more lounging around the pool.

No real complaints, all is going as it should be going. The staff on this ship is really good and seems to care about you having what you want. We aren’t demanding, so they become pro-active.

Well wouldn’t you know it, the lounge HOGS by the pool are out in force today. I guess they think their very special. Regent really needs to police this or not have the policy.

Met some very nice first time Regent cruisers this afternoon in the Coffee Connection, had a nice chat. The Coffee Connection had a small problem today. A water pipe broke, lots of water on the floor---not a small amount, but a lot! However the team arrived and worked fast to get it stopped. Then the clean team, within minutes you’d never know they had a problem. And the people working in the Connection didn’t miss a beat.

On Regent we’ve only cruised on the SS Explorer until now,however we really like the SS Mariner. We were talking about this today. The SS Explorer is run like a 4 Star hotel and the SS Mariner is more like a Luxury cruise ship. Now remember,that is our opinion only. But, (more and why) about that later.

Dinner was at Sette Mari. We decided to eat early so we got to the restaurant at 6:25PM, long line from the door to around the elevators. Line moved fairly fast, once at the desk we gave our suite number and was asked if we wanted to sit inside window or outside. We picked outside as it was a very nice night and the sunset turned out to be beautiful. Once seated the waitperson came up to take our order. We told her nicely that’s not going to work. First drink order, next bread onthe table and the antipasti, then we’d be ready to order. Once we understood each other things went smoothly and we had a really nice evening. Food was good with the exception on the pasta dish (carb), wasn’t made right-we send it back. But other than that, a nice meal, in fact the antipasti section was outstanding. Both main courses were really good.

Now some housekeeping: On the way to dinner a few people were in shorts at the pool bar after six. For us not a problem, but some of you it is. At dinner in Sette Mari two people had blue jeans and one person had white jeans (not dressy type) that we saw. Didn’t ruin our dinner, but if you’re going to have a policy you need to enforce it or drop it. That’s it for this post, hope you enjoyed it. If you have any questions that need an honest answer please ask.

Rick & Ron

Rick & Ron... I'm boarding the ship in San Francisco and have a question for you. Since the suites have been refurbished is there a

mirror above the desk? I like to be able to sit in a chair at a desk or vanity and be able to blow dry my hair. Have been on the

Mariner years ago. We were just on the Explorer in a F1 Superior Suite and thought the desk/vanity area was great for sitting and

blow drying hair or applying makeup. I travel with my own Electric makeup mirror regardless of what they may provide. We will be in

a Penthouse Suite in May. Thanks!

I totally agree with you regarding “policy” rules or other “non-enforceable” items. If you’re going to make it a point to put these “ideas” onto paper such as brochures or even passages every night ENFORCE them. Thankfully they are some people whom abide by these rules and those who do not. For those who don’t please stop with this “its my cruise I paid for it mentality” “I can do what I want” Let me tell you a secret, they’re other cruise lines out there that can satisfy your need to disrupt other peoples luxury experience.

I have on occasion enforced my own rules around the pool taking to task several “bored” staff members just standing around when towels, glassware, half eaten plates are strewn around like a frat party, usually this helps, but sadly only for the ones that complain to staff.

Hopefully Regent will get the hint and start enforcing these policies, even if they do hurt their paying passengers freedoms of being rude.

Rick & Ron... I'm boarding the ship in San Francisco and have a question for you. Since the suites have been refurbished is there a

mirror above the desk? I like to be able to sit in a chair at a desk or vanity and be able to blow dry my hair. Have been on the

Mariner years ago. We were just on the Explorer in a F1 Superior Suite and thought the desk/vanity area was great for sitting and

blow drying hair or applying makeup. I travel with my own Electric makeup mirror regardless of what they may provide. We will be in

We're not n a Penthouse, and not much hair--but we do have a mirror over the desk.

Thanks Ronrick....sorry about your hair. Another question for you. How's the complimentary red wine? We found the red wines to be really

bad on our last cruise...which was on the Explorer in January. We have an app that allows you to take a picture of the label and then it

gives you the retail price of the bottle. No wonder they were awful as most were under $10 per bottle. Those wines were definitely the

worst we have had on Regent. Hope to have better in May or I'll be drinking Vodka.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2620550 (post #4) shows a photo of the vanity unit with lit mirror over in a refurbished PH suite on Mariner. Plenty of sockets, but they are obscured in the photo by the tissue box.

Hope this helps

Thanks Ronrick....sorry about your hair. Another question for you. How's the complimentary red wine? We found the red wines to be really

bad on our last cruise...which was on the Explorer in January. We have an app that allows you to take a picture of the label and then it

gives you the retail price of the bottle. No wonder they were awful as most were under $10 per bottle. Those wines were definitely the

worst we have had on Regent. Hope to have better in May or I'll be drinking Vodka.

Just a quick aside... THANK YOU for mentioning this wine app! Just downloaded it from the Apple app store. Very cool.

Now, back to the blog. Enjoying your reports Ron and Rick!

We don't drink so we can't really say, sorry. But they serve a lot of it. Not drinking and tours not that important we must like Regents other services.

Just a quick aside... THANK YOU for mentioning this wine app! Just downloaded it from the Apple app store. Very cool.

Now, back to the blog. Enjoying your reports Ron and Rick!

Thanks we're enjoying this cruise. Meeting a few nice people and enjoying meeting up with them.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2620550 (post #4) shows a photo of the vanity unit with lit mirror over in a refurbished PH suite on Mariner. Plenty of sockets, but they are obscured in the photo by the tissue box.

Hope this helps

Flossie, thanks for doing that. If not this cruise, but most likely our next Ron will have the photo know how down.

When we stayed in a PH suite on Mariner recently we did not find that there were enough electrical outlets (U.S.) and used our own power strip. While I know things changed during refurbishment, I highly doubt if they added additional electrical outlets. If they had worked with electricity, they likely would have added USB ports like they have on Explorer.

Rick, just an aside, Sette Mari typically asks for your order before you start appetizers, the antipasti bar, etc. but they do not serve your soup or main course until you are ready. They likely do this to get prepared in advance for the orders rather than getting them at the last minute.