We're back, it's rick & ron on the ss mariner--miami to san francisco (april 18,2018)

Just curious: Have you tasted the 14-layer cake from Prime 7? You may have, and simply not been impressed. But if you haven't indulged yet, maybe give it a try before you leave ship?

That's a shame about Setti Mare. But really glad that you much enjoyed the dolphins. Some decades ago, when we were vacationing on Turks and Caicos, there was a dolphin which magically appeared virtually every time the snorkel boat went out to one of the reefs. It would swim alongside the boat, leaping to say hello now and then (or maybe just for sheer joy), and when the boat anchored, the dolphin would hang out with the swimmers and snorkelers. The dolphin seemed simply to love engaging with people, would come right up to our swim masks, touch us, allow us to touch her/him, follow us as we snorkeled. There was one person who was especially good at imitating some of the actions of the dolphin, at mimicking the way the dolphin surfaced and made his turns and so forth. This man would follow the dolphin and do what the dolphin was doing — and then the man would kind of swim away a bit and do his own thing — and the dolphin would then follow him, the various turns and surfacing and flips and such that the man was doing. Talk about magic! Btw, I don't remember anyone ever feeding the dolphin. Everything seemed to be for sheer enjoyment.

Lorraine was the CD on our TA, April 4-18. We really enjoyed meeting her and getting to know her. Professional, competent, available to passengers. And, she is a fellow South Carolinian!

poss - when Prime 7 first opened we tried their 14 layer cake and didn't care for it at all. On our November cruise we ordered it again and shared with with Capt. Serena and it was moist and delicious. My only issue with it is how big it is.

Just curious: Have you tasted the 14-layer cake from Prime 7? You may have, and simply not been impressed. But if you haven't indulged yet, maybe give it a try before you leave ship?

That's a shame about Setti Mare. But really glad that you much enjoyed the dolphins. Some decades ago, when we were vacationing on Turks and Caicos, there was a dolphin which magically appeared virtually every time the snorkel boat went out to one of the reefs. It would swim alongside the boat, leaping to say hello now and then (or maybe just for sheer joy), and when the boat anchored, the dolphin would hang out with the swimmers and snorkelers. The dolphin seemed simply to love engaging with people, would come right up to our swim masks, touch us, allow us to touch her/him, follow us as we snorkeled. There was one person who was especially good at imitating some of the actions of the dolphin, at mimicking the way the dolphin surfaced and made his turns and so forth. This man would follow the dolphin and do what the dolphin was doing — and then the man would kind of swim away a bit and do his own thing — and the dolphin would then follow him, the various turns and surfacing and flips and such that the man was doing. Talk about magic! Btw, I don't remember anyone ever feeding the dolphin. Everything seemed to be for sheer enjoyment.

That sounds great. No we haven't tried the cake maybe tonight. And the Dolphins were super fun, they seem to enjoy us as much as we all enjoyed them.

Lorraine was the CD on our TA, April 4-18. We really enjoyed meeting her and getting to know her. Professional, competent, available to passengers. And, she is a fellow South Carolinian!

I heard she getting off in SF, maybe she is getting - but really haven't seen her around the ship. Just IMO, but John on our last cruise was very good.

Earlier some of you asked about the Cruise Director on this cruise, her name is Lorraine.

To be honest we saw her at the Cruise Critic Party, other than that we haven't seen her around the ship at all. We've seen the Captain around the ship talking to people on the cruise than the Cruise Director and we get out and around. Except during nap time, but during The Do Nothing Time we're out and about.

We ailed with Lorraine a couple of times on the Mariner. She has a wicked sense of humour and a killer voice. A good sport from what I remember

Sure enjoying your daily observations

Sandy

Tc: Somehow I was able to work through that "issue." :D

Both Poss & Travelcat we think the baker on the last cruise (Explorer) was much better than on the Mariner. They just haven't hit the mark on desserts or food for that matter.

Sorry for got to add, the comment about food isn't just us. People that cruise a lot on Regent like the Gold, Platinum and even a couple of Titanium said the same thing to us. Food just wasn't that special on this cruise. Yes they put it down on the comment cards. We're back on this ship again so I hope the see and work on the problem.

Both Poss & Travelcat we think the baker on the last cruise (Explorer) was much better than on the Mariner. They just haven't hit the mark on desserts or food for that matter.

There have been times when we have experienced less than great food (not often but it does happen). Good to hear that this has been mentioned on comment cards.

poss - when Prime 7 first opened we tried their 14 layer cake and didn't care for it at all. On our November cruise we ordered it again and shared with with Capt. Serena and it was moist and delicious. My only issue with it is how big it is.

Add a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream with the cake, yummy! Helps any lack of moisture issues! Lol! 😸

K

Add a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream with the cake, yummy! Helps any lack of moisture issues! Lol! 😸

K

Now the ice cream is pretty good, nut they have an ice cream in Prime 7 that is outstanding. It's not the same as other places on the ship.

Too bad the food has been so inconsistent. We also had problems in Setti Mari on the cruise before yours, but the other dining venues were very good. And we loved Tomas!

We also had some amazing desserts, including a floating island that rivaled any I’ve had. I’d also suggest the key lime pie in Prime 7.

As for Lorraine, we loved her! Very personable and down to earth. We generally always encountered her seeing us off as we left on excursions and welcoming us into the theater for shows. We also saw her (and other entertainment staff) during other activities. But we participated in those things daily...maybe people who don’t play the games and such wouldn’t see her as much.

Have been enjoying your commentary and observations. Thanks for the sharing!

Too bad the food has been so inconsistent. We also had problems in Setti Mari on the cruise before yours, but the other dining venues were very good. And we loved Tomas!

We also had some amazing desserts, including a floating island that rivaled any I’ve had. I’d also suggest the key lime pie in Prime 7.

As for Lorraine, we loved her! Very personable and down to earth. We generally always encountered her seeing us off as we left on excursions and welcoming us into the theater for shows. We also saw her (and other entertainment staff) during other activities. But we participated in those things daily...maybe people who don’t play the games and such wouldn’t see her as much.

Have been enjoying your commentary and observations. Thanks for the sharing!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read. We've enjoy this trip very much. Forgot about the floating island--that was very good. And tonight we had the key lime in Prime 7, also very good.

S0----I fail to see the problem with that Prime 7 14-layer cake being excessive. It all depends on how it is cut. Simple solution for wife and self has been to split a piece. So, 14 layers convert to 7 apiece.

No guilt. Great taste.

GOARMY!

S0----I fail to see the problem with that Prime 7 14-layer cake being excessive. It all depends on how it is cut. Simple solution for wife and self has been to split a piece. So, 14 layers convert to 7 apiece.

No guilt. Great taste.

GOARMY!

I agree never does guilt come into play. But if you like Ice Cream, you have to try what they serve in Prime 7. It's really good.

The Journey Is About To End

As we come to a close of this trip, to sum it up it was a nice cruise.

Yes it’s time to say goodbye to the folks we met on board the ship and the ones on Cruise Critic that have been following the post. We hope you not only enjoyed them but found them informative as well. Sorry about no pictures, but next time we’ll do better.

Last evening we had friends from San Diego and Los Angeles meet the ship and have dinner with us on the ship. One of the couples had never been on a ship before and couldn’t believe how nice it was on the ship.

We had them up a cocktail party in our suite; the Butler did a great job setting it up. The Chef did some really nice selected canapés along with a caviar service. After that we headed to the Mariner Lounge for a drink before dinner at Prime 7. The food and service outstanding, the steaks cooked perfect. And desserts were very good, most had key lime pie. I had the ice cream which I think is the best I’ve had, even off ship. After dinner it was time to say goodbye to our friends and walked them off the ship. This was a really special evening for us.

To sum it up, the cruise was a good one and Regent did a nice job with a few exceptions. They need to be more consistent on food. Most of the time it was good but they missed the mark a few too many times. One night you have a great meal in a restaurant, the next time not so good in the same restaurant.

The tours average at best and one really bad. The extra pay “Swim with the Dolphins” was excellent from the ship to the dolphin area.

The crew on the ship was excellent, we think maybe understaffed from time to time (mainly in La Veranda & the Pool Grill), but even under staffed the crew did a super great job.

Housekeeping again did an excellent; you couldn’t have faulted them on anything.

We didn’t over use the Butler, and he was excellent. No matter what people say about they don’t need a Butler, the Butler just makes a cruise better. We don’t have one at home, but on a cruise it’s an important part of the cruise for us.

So thanks again, until our next cruise on Regent its goodbye for now.

The Journey Is About To End

As we come to a close of this trip, to sum it up it was a nice cruise.

Yes it’s time to say goodbye to the folks we met on board the ship and the ones on Cruise Critic that have been following the post. We hope you not only enjoyed them but found them informative as well. Sorry about no pictures, but next time we’ll do better.

Last evening we had friends from San Diego and Los Angeles meet the ship and have dinner with us on the ship. One of the couples had never been on a ship before and couldn’t believe how nice it was on the ship.

We had them up a cocktail party in our suite; the Butler did a great job setting it up. The Chef did some really nice selected canapés along with a caviar service. After that we headed to the Mariner Lounge for a drink before dinner at Prime 7. The food and service outstanding, the steaks cooked perfect. And desserts were very good, most had key lime pie. I had the ice cream which I think is the best I’ve had, even off ship. After dinner it was time to say goodbye to our friends and walked them off the ship. This was a really special evening for us.

To sum it up, the cruise was a good one and Regent did a nice job with a few exceptions. They need to be more consistent on food. Most of the time it was good but they missed the mark a few too many times. One night you have a great meal in a restaurant, the next time not so good in the same restaurant.

The tours average at best and one really bad. The extra pay “Swim with the Dolphins” was excellent from the ship to the dolphin area.

The crew on the ship was excellent, we think maybe understaffed from time to time (mainly in La Veranda & the Pool Grill), but even under staffed the crew did a super great job.

Housekeeping again did an excellent; you couldn’t have faulted them on anything.

We didn’t over use the Butler, and he was excellent. No matter what people say about they don’t need a Butler, the Butler just makes a cruise better. We don’t have one at home, but on a cruise it’s an important part of the cruise for us.

So thanks again, until our next cruise on Regent its goodbye for now.

So all in all you had a great time. Loved reading your blogs and so hope we have the chance to sail with you both again. We embark the Mariner on Nov 30 - Jan 20 and look forward to the new look after being on the Explorer the last two Holiday Cruises. As I said before the Mariner was always my favourite

Safe travels home

Sandy and Terry (Calgary)

Ron/Rick,

Our thanks, too, for the detailed blog. We'll be boarding Mariner tomorrow as you disembark. Your commentary makes it feel like we are already aboard.

A small favor: what time are you scheduled to dock? As pointed out in another thread, the fact that the Regent web site no longer allows access to cruises which are underway is very annoying. We might want to try to see her arrive. Thanks.

Ron/Rick,

Our thanks, too, for the detailed blog. We'll be boarding Mariner tomorrow as you disembark. Your commentary makes it feel like we are already aboard.

A small favor: what time are you scheduled to dock? As pointed out in another thread, the fact that the Regent web site no longer allows access to cruises which are underway is very annoying. We might want to try to see her arrive. Thanks.

Scott, I believe you can see that information here

http://www.cruisemapper.com/cruise-lines/Regent-Seven-Seas-28

Ron/Rick,

They told us we will dock a 7:00AM. We chose to be last off and are time to get off is 9:20AM. We'll be docking at pier 35 in San Francisco. Have a great trip and enjoy your cruise, it's a great ship. Rick & Ron

Ron/Rick -

Thank you for taking the time to post about the Mariner and your cruise. Your perspective as well as some of the other comments were insightful and I'm sure they will help make our July voyage that much better.

If you liked the dolphins, you may get a kick out of the hundreds of sea lions at Pier 39 in San Francisco. Here's the webcam.

https://www.pier39.com/the-sea-lion-story/sea-lion-webcam/

Cheers!