We're back, it's rick & ron on the ss mariner--miami to san francisco (april 18,2018)

Smoking is allowed on the area at the back of the ship outside the Horizon lounge. Technically allowed only on he port side, but I have seen the area full of smokers. I would not book an aft suite on 7.

Thank you for the info. This helps!!

Thanks Ronrick....sorry about your hair. Another question for you. How's the complimentary red wine? We found the red wines to be really

bad on our last cruise...which was on the Explorer in January. We have an app that allows you to take a picture of the label and then it

gives you the retail price of the bottle. No wonder they were awful as most were under $10 per bottle. Those wines were definitely the

worst we have had on Regent. Hope to have better in May or I'll be drinking Vodka.

What is the name of the app? I found many in the APP store and was confused! Thanks!

When we stayed in a PH suite on Mariner recently we did not find that there were enough electrical outlets (U.S.) and used our own power strip.

Rick, just an aside, Sette Mari typically asks for your order before you start appetizers, the antipasti bar, etc. but they do not serve your soup or main course until you are ready. They likely do this to get prepared in advance for the orders rather than getting them at the last minute.

Travelcat2, No work was done on the electrical, however our suite has more plugs than we need.

About Sette Mari, if you read my post I said; We were seated and the servicer came up to take the order. I don't know about you but we enjoy a little time before we order a meal. No one needs to order the second you sit down. Get your drink order in, set the table with bread, then they place a few antipasti on the table,(the way they do) then you order your meal. After all dinner is part of your evening. Once she realized her mistake everything was good and that's how she handled other tables. No big deal. Rick

Day #7 Cruising thePacific Ocean Tuesday

Well here we are, it’s the evening of April 24, 2018. Nothing has changed, still having a great cruise. Yes we’ve had a few mishaps but nothing big or has spoiled our trip. Today was a sea day so what could be better. We have just been informed that we will cancel Nicaragua , what’s the upside—another sea day. Being that when I was working before retiring I’d have to go to Nicaragua a few times a year. I agree with Regent that safety is more important than a stop.

Lunch was an Asian BBQ, at the Pool Grill. Pretty good, plus we had great company during lunch. In the Coffee Connection and having coffee (not French Press yet). The Captain stopped by to talk, really a nice touch. Plus she really is interesting and cares about this ship. After spending sometime with us she worked the room making everyone feel welcome.

Dinner was at Prime 7 tonight, they didn’t miss a step. Food, service couldn’t have been better. Steak cooked to order and my lobster perfectly done. The Maitre D’ wouldn’t have done more to make you feel welcome. He really worked the room to make sure everyone was getting service and what they needed. I find Prime 7 has everyone working as a team together.

Haven’t made any shows yet, so we really can’t say anything about the shows. Maybe just getting old and enjoy the quite time in the suite.

The sea is so smooth you’d think we’re on a lake. The sunset was another good one this evening. We told our Butler to surprise us for the late evening snack (or whatever you want to call it), he had the chef make Samosa ‘s with chutney/mint sauce. They were really good, but way too much to eat before dinner

Now why we like this ship the SS Mariner, which is our favorite ship in the Regent fleet.

We find the ship to be a ship, not a hotel on water. We think the SS Marina is just right without the over the top look. She has style without the glitz.

Prime 7 is lighter in color, smaller in size and comfortable.

Chartreuse has the same look but smaller making it feel a little more intimate.

Now Compass Rose is perfect in size to handle dinners without feeling like you’re in a ballroom at a convention. I don’t think I need to say the lighting is better. And without all that glitz, the room makes for a pleasant evening.

Even the CoffeeConnection is brighter and more open.

We did go into the theater, just didn’t see anything yet. We found the theater to better seating and all seats have a view of the stage.

Finally the ship is easy to get around from one end to the other.

Please remember this our opinion as we see it and how we enjoy a cruise.

Rick and Ron, why was Nicaragua cancelled? On our Splendor Panama Canal trip Nicaragua is only new country for me so I am very interested in stopping there.

Great reports!

thanks,

Marc

I saw on the news last night that the U.S. Embassy there put out a security alert for U.S. citizens there because of civil unrest.

When we stayed in a PH suite on Mariner recently we did not find that there were enough electrical outlets (U.S.) and used our own power strip. While I know things changed during refurbishment, I highly doubt if they added additional electrical outlets. If they had worked with electricity, they likely would have added USB ports like they have on Explorer.

I routinely travel with converter plugs that I can use in both US and European outlets. Also take a power strip which expands the number of outlets. If you would like some European converter plugs, Jackie, say the word and I will bring you some to LA !!

I've been appreciating all of your posts, but was especially interested in your comparison of Explorer and Mariner. We have loved Mariner for more than a dozen years precisely for the reasons you mention. Haven't been on Explorer yet, but definitely don't look forward to glitz and dazzle and glamour, all of which we find uncomfortable environments to be in. Mariner and Voyager have fine dignified style (imo), terrific comfort, and a sufficient feeling of "luxury" for us. (Even the word "luxury" makes my skin kind of crawl.) I'm fully aware that our tastes and opinion don't matter one whit. From posts on CC, it would seem that Explorer is a much-enjoyed part of the fleet, even, for some, most enjoyed. Since only a tiny percentage of Regent passengers post on CC, I'd be fairly interested in knowing what the majority of past passengers feel about the Explorer, i.e. whether they adore it, as some, or find it tacky, as we suspect we will. Finally doesn't matter: it is what it is.

I hope you continue to enjoy your cruise. I wish we could get to the point where we enjoy being on the ship as much as the two of you do. For us, it's the excursions that make the day, but we're increasingly less able to engage in the kinds of excursions we most enjoy. But, for sure, we've loved the ships as well. Have only ever cruised with Regent: were hooked right from the start.

Rick and Ron, why was Nicaragua cancelled? On our Splendor Panama Canal trip Nicaragua is only new country for me so I am very interested in stopping there.

Great reports!

thanks,

Marc

Safety reasons, a political situation. Other cruise lines doing the same thing. My they time you it would be over, I wouldn't worry.

I've been appreciating all of your posts, but was especially interested in your comparison of Explorer and Mariner. We have loved Mariner for more than a dozen years precisely for the reasons you mention. Haven't been on Explorer yet, but definitely don't look forward to glitz and dazzle and glamour, all of which we find uncomfortable environments to be in. Mariner and Voyager have fine dignified style (imo), terrific comfort, and a sufficient feeling of "luxury" for us. (Even the word "luxury" makes my skin kind of crawl.) I'm fully aware that our tastes and opinion don't matter one whit. From posts on CC, it would seem that Explorer is a much-enjoyed part of the fleet, even, for some, most enjoyed. Since only a tiny percentage of Regent passengers post on CC, I'd be fairly interested in knowing what the majority of past passengers feel about the Explorer, i.e. whether they adore it, as some, or find it tacky, as we suspect we will. Finally doesn't matter: it is what it is.

I hope you continue to enjoy your cruise. I wish we could get to the point where we enjoy being on the ship as much as the two of you do. For us, it's the excursions that make the day, but we're increasingly less able to engage in the kinds of excursions we most enjoy. But, for sure, we've loved the ships as well. Have only ever cruised with Regent: were hooked right from the start.

We talked to some people that have been cruising Regent for sometime. The ones we talked with like the Mariner better than the Explorer. We've talked to maybe 6 people about this. They had the same reason as you for preferring it better.

We talked to some people that have been cruising Regent for sometime. The ones we talked with like the Mariner better than the Explorer. We've talked to maybe 6 people about this. They had the same reason as you for preferring it better.

It is interesting how people who love the Regent brand can have such differences in their opinions of decor style. We were absolutely blown away by the Explorer, I would spend time just walking around the ship and admiring. For what it's worth, pretty much everyone I spoke to felt the same way. What some people perceive as glitz, others perceive as elegance.

That said, I love all of the Regent ships, and would make my choices more on itinerary and timing, rather than ship preference.

Thank you Ron and Rick for your reports, I am really enjoying it.

Bob

It is interesting how people who love the Regent brand can have such differences in their opinions of decor style. We were absolutely blown away by the Explorer, I would spend time just walking around the ship and admiring. For what it's worth, pretty much everyone I spoke to felt the same way. What some people perceive as glitz, others perceive as elegance.

That said, I love all of the Regent ships, and would make my choices more on itinerary and timing, rather than ship preference.

Bob

Me too! Except I've never been on the Navigator and have no desire to be on her.

I'm at a stage where my favorite Regent ship is the last one we were on.

Bob

The Mariner is the favorite ship of many Regent passengers. My issue with it is the small lower category suites, smaller bathrooms, minuscule safes and smaller closets (bathrooms, closets and safes are smaller through Seven Seas category). However, the TS is in a suite that we were in on our 25 night cruise and it is spacious and lovely (closet still lacks space and there is a serious lack of drawer space).

Our favorite ship is Explorer and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the decor. I like the many public seating areas where you can watch the sea, people watch, read a book or spend time on the internet. The F1/F2 and concierge suites are better (by leaps and bounds) than on any other Regent ship. Like the TS, we have stayed in the upper suites (Master and Grand) and they are amazing - especially the Master suite). However, most passengers are in lower category suites. I do not like the PH suite but have stayed in F1, concierge and have a Seven Seas and Explorer suite booked for the future. So, it is about comfortability - not decor.

Bob

Thank you, and I agree we pick a cruise itinerary first, ship next. The said I just happen to like the Mariner better than the Explorer. Besides they did a good job in refitting the Mariner. I'm sure the new ship will be a bit glitz, and we still booked it.

We'll write more later, but we just reach the point that food isn't that important. We cancelled our dining reservations for tonight. Everything is good, but we need a break from eating. We'll order in tonight, just a small amount of food and nothing special. Maybe watch a movie.......

Day #8 Puntaraenas,Costa Rica Wednesday

Really nice morning! Took a walk around the ship! Thenhad coffee in the suite. Afterwardsbreakfast at La Veranda, the banana blue berry pancakes were really good. More coffee, then off to take a look around,walked down the pier, and it was pretty hot. No tours today as we had visited Costa Rica on business many timesbefore I retired, so we’ve seen a lot on those visits.

Back to the ship to freshen up, met up with new friends andhad a light lunch at La Veranda an enjoyable lunch with them. We ate outside onthe back deck, cool breeze and all. Haveto say La Veranda does a nice job with the food and service. Always fresh and never looks like you’re thelast person to eat.

After lunch we met upby accident with Maria the Restaurant Manager for the ship in the CoffeeConnection. We met her on our Explorercruise of course we asked her why the Coffee Connection doesn’t have FrenchPress. She indicated I don’t know, butit should-let me look into that and made some notes about it. Yea! Maybe! Who knows!

Time for sail away, a bus was late getting back from atour. Of course they waited. Seas so far are smooth.

We both decided we’ve reach the point too much food. So we cancelled our dinner reservations for tonightand had the Butler do a one course setup. Chef Salad and a Club Sandwich, that’s it and we’ll call it a night.

I forgot to mention that the Observation Lounge in the frontof the ship is really done right, looks great and the view super.

One last thing before we go, who ever designed the furniturefor the ship (and it’s the same for all ships) must be a very shortperson. I’m not tall by any means, andthe chairs, sofas are so low we find it hard to get out of them onceseated. They look nice, very comfortableuntil you want to get up. I’m older,could be fitter—but still!

well it's another sea day and I must say it's the smooths cruising we've ever done. It's like sailing on a lake, so we must be very lucky And we're in the front of the ship. That said they have a slot tournament today, so we must enter. Just got up, had some coffee on our deck. Think we'll head out to La Veranda and people watch a bit.

Ron and Rick, thanks for the even-handed interesting reports. Also, I agree with your observations of the Mariner vs the Explorer. I'm curious what you think about the volume level of music in the lounges and theater.

We hadn't notice it so it must be OK. Next time we're in one will take notice and let you know.

well it's another sea day and I must say it's the smooths cruising we've ever done. It's like sailing on a lake, so we must be very lucky And we're in the front of the ship. That said they have a slot tournament today, so we must enter. Just got up, had some coffee on our deck. Think we'll head out to La Veranda and people watch a bit.

We'll no one turned out for the slot tournament accept us, so we we're declared the winners without playing.

Hi Ron and Rick

Sandy and Terry here form Calgary. We had the pleasure of your company on the Explorer last year . Had fun dins and drinks together and so enjoyed your company and your posts

We embark on the Mariner on November 30 to Jan 20, NZ and Australia. It has always been our favourite ship so are interested in reading your impressions of it. Must say we never had any coffee issues but then we always do cappuccinos. We loved the Exlorer but look forward to returning to the Mariner. Sounds as if you are enjoying your trip. Keep posting and hope we cross paths again one day on Regent.

Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to post your blog with very useful commentary. It seems thru your comments as the cruise goes on, the more relaxed you are. That’s what Cruising is all about.

Thanks, it's been fun. Your right The Spa offered a course today in Relaxation, guess what I missed it because I fell a sleep on our deck before the class.

Hi Ron and Rick

Sandy and Terry here form Calgary. We had the pleasure of your company on the Explorer last year . Had fun dins and drinks together and so enjoyed your company and your posts

We embark on the Mariner on November 30 to Jan 20, NZ and Australia. It has always been our favourite ship so are interested in reading your impressions of it. Must say we never had any coffee issues but then we always do cappuccinos. We loved the Exlorer but look forward to returning to the Mariner. Sounds as if you are enjoying your trip. Keep posting and hope we cross paths again one day on Regent.

Hi, you're going to have a great cruise. The ship is in great shape and service has been really good. Glad you enjoy our posting, should you have a special question I haven't covered let us know and we'll try to get an answer for you. Wish we we're going with you. Ron & Rick