Answering a question on net forums

sail7seas

I also think frequent posters develop an online reputation or brand based on how they respond. People may look at a particular person as helpful, reactionary, bombastic, funny, defensive, sympathetic or hard to get along with -- again, like real life. We are all different and I'm sure we all have different viewpoints on how much one is obligated to explain oneself online.

I agree with this 300% and I just made a note in my mind to always read posts by cruisemom42 because she gives layered thought to her response :*

When I first joined CC I got into some heated discussions with a few posters who at the time I didn't realize were notorious for sparking disputes. I learned early on how wonderful the "Ignore" option is. Just used it again last week with a particularly contentious poster. Didn't want to "Bicker" with them, so it was an easy fix. :)

When I first joined CC I got into some heated discussions with a few posters who at the time I didn't realize were notorious for sparking disputes. I learned early on how wonderful the "Ignore" option is. Just used it again last week with a particularly contentious poster. Didn't want to "Bicker" with them, so it was an easy fix. :)

This seems the best way to handle it. It does seem, however, that some people prefer the drama and don't WANT to ignore those who they claim to be bothered by

I have over 200 people on my Ignore List. Yes, it may sound excessive, but life is short and I don't have time for certain, um, personalities here. It's just the way it is. I'm sure I have made others' Ignore List too and that is fine with me. There are people we don't get along with online as well as in real life, I'm afraid. :)

Cruise Critic is a message board community, not a chat room.

You have not only the right, but (I would argue) the responsibility in maintaining the decorum you desire, to not answer back anyone who addresses you in the tone of the latter.

In fact I have placed more than a few "chatters" on my ignore list just to avoid the inevitable in advance: that at some point they would tick me off enough to prompt a retort that would earn me (yet another) guideline warning.

Cruise Critic is a message board community, not a chat room.

You have not only the right, but (I would argue) the responsibility in maintaining the decorum you desire, to not answer back anyone who addresses you in the tone of the latter.

In fact I have placed more than a few "chatters" on my ignore list just to avoid the inevitable in advance: that at some point they would tick me off enough to prompt a retort that would earn me (yet another) guideline warning.

The chatters seem to get away with their chatting..yes yes,I know, scroll past,etc. but there are certain boards(and HAL is one of them)that have issues with thread drift.

I don't know why on some threads sometimes there seems to a "pissin' contest between 2 posters. I wish the moderators would just remove them. On another note, once you post a comment on a thread do you go back to that thread to see what others post? Unless the original post might be a question I'm interested in knowing more about, even if I don't post something, I'll go back to see what other answers/suggestions are and of course if I post a question, I'll keep going back to that thread.

I have over 200 people on my Ignore List. Yes, it may sound excessive, but life is short and I don't have time for certain, um, personalities here. It's just the way it is. I'm sure I have made others' Ignore List too and that is fine with me. There are people we don't get along with online as well as in real life, I'm afraid. :)

LOL... I thought I was bad. You are my hero. I just wish it didn’t show posts they start. When I put them on ignore, I Really want to ignore them.

I really try to post helpful information and not get involved in the bickering threads. In fact, I have become quite the triangle user.

Sail7Seas,

Don’t feel bad putting people on ignore. It’s your Cruise Critic right, and then you don’t have to let them get to you.

LOL... I thought I was bad. You are my hero. I just wish it didn’t show posts they start. When I put them on ignore, I Really want to ignore them.

I really try to post helpful information and not get involved in the bickering threads. In fact, I have become quite the triangle user.

Sail7Seas,

Don’t feel bad putting people on ignore. It’s your Cruise Critic right, and then you don’t have to let them get to you.

I really don't think in all the years I have hung around here I ever p ut anyone on 'ignore' but I probably should have. :( There's always tomorrow. :)

If a poster directs a question to a particular poster, do you think them obliged to answer? The person to whom the question is directed may find it offensive insulting, or too private and opts to ignore. I think it fine to not respond, do you?

Of course you don't have to respond. And don't worry there will be so many other responses your lack of response will likely be drowned out. :D:D

Edit -- Just joking. Don't put me on ignore!

Edited by ldubs

Side question (hopefully not a hi-jack): When you put someone on Ignore, what happens if they respond to a thread you are also on? I assume their post is hidden. What if they quote you or someone else in a thread you are on? Just curious. Thanks.

Side question (hopefully not a hi-jack): When you put someone on Ignore, what happens if they respond to a thread you are also on? I assume their post is hidden. What if they quote you or someone else in a thread you are on? Just curious. Thanks.

If you are logged on, you will not see their response. If they are quoted, you will see it, logged on or off. If you aren’t logged on, you will still see their responses.

Unfortunately, if someone else (that you haven't ignored) quotes the person that you've ignored you will see that quote.

If you are logged on, you will not see their response...

Right; you will see that they have posted and that the member is on your Ignore List. You can see their post (if you want) by right-clicking and opening their post in a new browser window.

Unfortunately, if someone else (that you haven't ignored) quotes the person that you've ignored you will see that quote.

Yeah, that's a glitch here, if you know what I mean. I can't tell you how many times I have still been able to read an Ignored member's posts because people keep quoting him/her. ;p

It depends on the forum software.

On some forums, you will see that they posted, but you will not see what they posted. There will be a link that they are on your Ignore list.

It depends on the forum software.
Here on Cruise Critic, I see it two ways. In a browser, I see what you described. In the Android app it appears Spoilerized even though the poster didn't Spoilerize their post.

The chatters seem to get away with their chatting..yes yes,I know, scroll past,etc. but there are certain boards(and HAL is one of them)that have issues with thread drift.

(y)(y)

This is a perfectly good reason not to respond to a post. And I agree, the HAL board has many posters who are known to cause thread drift.

I don't think that anyone is obligated to respond to a direct question, and nor should anyone expect a response.