What broadway play?

George C

On 7/15/2022 at 2:36 PM, George C said:

Our favorite restaurant is Becco on restaurant row on 46th . We normally go there twice on all visits, they have a special wine list containing about 50 wines and everything on the list is 35 dollars ( when we started going here years ago everything was 25 on the list) there is a past special for 29 and you get a salad and 3 kinds of pasta with free refills. Went one time and we had a very young waitress and we told her there was a problem with our bottle of wine , it evaporated, she was concerned to about a minute then brought us a second bottle. 

Most people who go to restaurants on Restaurant Row go there before or after going to the theater.Most of the times that I was there was when I worked in the area.

Restaurant row also has live music Swing 46 has large dance band , I have a cousin who plays drums there occasionally (there is a cover, but can still sit in bar area and listen to music). Don’t tell mama , has been there for a long time my brother had some shows there in the 1970’s. 

On 7/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, navybankerteacher said:

300 people a day (your low,  optimistic statistic) experiencing physical harm does NOT translate to “INCREDIBLY SAFE”.

Out of 3 million?

Safer than driving.

Or you can wrap yourself in bubblewrap and never leave the house and hope the asteroid doesn't hit you.

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

Out of 3 million?

Safer than driving.

Or you can wrap yourself in bubblewrap and never leave the house and hope the asteroid doesn't hit you.

An absurd proposal in response to the simple, objectively valid, comment that a transit system which leaves (AT LEAST) 300 of its riders injured daily is not “safe” (regardless of the numbers of passengers carried). 

I do ride the subway, but I keep myself aware of my surroundings to hopefully minimize risk.

I suppose you can play Pollyanna and pretend that everything is just hunky-dory because you have not (yet) been made a victim.   

Passively accepting conditions is neither mature or intelligent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

An absurd proposal in response to the simple, objectively valid, comment that a transit system which leaves (AT LEAST) 300 of its riders injured daily is not “safe” (regardless of the numbers of passengers carried). 

I do ride the subway, but I keep myself aware of my surroundings to hopefully minimize risk.

I suppose you can play Pollyanna and pretend that everything is just hunky-dory because you have not (yet) been made a victim.   

The one thing I learned by being born and raised in New York City is you need to be aware of your surroundings, not just in subway but everyplace. 

• Like 1

There was always crime on subway, one of the last rides before moving to Dallas, I was working a late shift taking the subway home at 2am, I was only one is the car , then I saw a small man in his 50’s enter the car, followed by a younger man, the younger man broke a bottle a slashed the other , I jumped up and car was coming to a stop and the other man ran away , normally they look for smaller targets , he wanted nothing to do with someone 6’4” and 230 lbs, I didn’t even need to take out my knife. This was 1982.

Edited by George C

37 minutes ago, George C said:

There was always crime on subway, one of the last rides before moving to Dallas, I was working a late shift taking the subway home at 2am, I was only one is the car , then I saw a small man in his 50’s enter the car, followed by a younger man, the younger man broke a bottle a slashed the other , I jumped up and car was coming to a stop and the other man ran away , normally they look for smaller targets , he wanted nothing to do with someone 6’4” and 230 lbs, I didn’t even need to take out my knife. This was 1982.

I have routinely looked for a car with more passengers - there is some truth to the cliche that “ there is safety in numbers”.  Other subway riders are not likely to get involved to help - but trouble makers are less likely to do their thing if there are a lot of witnesses.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Safer than driving but anyone who wants to stay in bubblewrap in their basement is welcome to their choice IMHO.

I'm going to get out and enjoy life while I can.  Carefully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

Safer than driving but anyone who wants to stay in bubblewrap in their basement is welcome to their choice IMHO.

I'm going to get out and enjoy life while I can.  Carefully.

Pls be safe...... New York is New York......New Yorkers are New Yorkers...

Unfortunately 5 incidents happened yesterday and the beat goes on.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Pls be safe...... New York is New York......New Yorkers are New Yorkers...

Unfortunately 5 incidents happened yesterday and the beat goes on.....

Unfortunately, incidents happen in every major city

And in smaller cities, too

And in the suburbs

An in rural areas.

• Like 1

We're making one final trip to The Rock before Come From Away leaves Broadway. We're not going to make it to the West End, and our timing didn't work out to catch Jenn Colella. My wife's birthday (one of the uncounted big ones...) is in three weeks. Catching the matinee, and heading out for dinner at our favorite restaurant.

As a total outsider to the industry, I'm a little surprised that a show that seems so successful on the surface is closing. I understand the whole marginal revenue needs to be greater than average variable costs thing. You can only fill the house with half price tickets so many times if you're not filling it with full price and premium tickets as well. Junkyard Dog doesn't look like it's ever had anything run this long, and CFA is the longest running production at the Schoenfeld. I guess theater lives up to the adage that the quickest way to make a small fortune in fill-in-the-blank is to start with a large one!

(I'm at least going to look at Six tickets while we're in town. We'll see...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markeb said:

What about seeing the touring company at the National Theatre in DC?  It's there until early September.  They started out with a long run in Chicago.  Great reviews there and in DC.   🙂 

As for Come From Away, I agree with you. Such a great show; it's hard to understand why it's closing, both on Broadway and in the West End.  ☹️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

What about seeing the touring company at the National Theatre in DC?  It's there until early September.  They started out with a long run in Chicago.  Great reviews there and in DC.   🙂 

As for Come From Away, I agree with you. Such a great show; it's hard to understand why it's closing, both on Broadway and in the West End.  ☹️

Come from away has had a good run, I wish it would never close , there are not many play which I could see multiple times but that is one of them. I would be surprised if there was a revival of it on broadway sooner or later . This play seems to be one of the few things that everyone on this thread can agree on. 

On 7/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Nitemare said:

Unfortunately, incidents happen in every major city

And in smaller cities, too

And in the suburbs

An in rural areas.

East Hampton ,NY has only had one crime of violence since 2018.Many Long Island towns have very low crime rates.

19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

East Hampton ,NY has only had one crime of violence since 2018.Many Long Island towns have very low crime rates.

It's all about percentages.  And it isn't hard to find examples of extremely safe places.  How is the theater in East Hampton, NY?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not equal,better at many times .

My best theater's in the country is in Cape May NJ...two wonderful companies with sincere production. 

East Lynne and Cape May Stage a must every time we go down a must!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My best theater's in the country is in Cape May NJ...two wonderful companies with sincere production. 

My non Broadway favorites are The Heights Players in Brooklyn Heights and the HB Studio in Manhattan.

12 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Dallas has a excellent theater company, we normally see a couple of plays there each year , they won the Tony award for best regional theater a couple of years ago , the Tony award is in there lobby.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, markeb said:

We're making one final trip to The Rock before Come From Away leaves Broadway. We're not going to make it to the West End, and our timing didn't work out to catch Jenn Colella. My wife's birthday (one of the uncounted big ones...) is in three weeks. Catching the matinee, and heading out for dinner at our favorite restaurant.

As a total outsider to the industry, I'm a little surprised that a show that seems so successful on the surface is closing. I understand the whole marginal revenue needs to be greater than average variable costs thing. You can only fill the house with half price tickets so many times if you're not filling it with full price and premium tickets as well. Junkyard Dog doesn't look like it's ever had anything run this long, and CFA is the longest running production at the Schoenfeld. I guess theater lives up to the adage that the quickest way to make a small fortune in fill-in-the-blank is to start with a large one!

We saw this show in Toronto quite a few years ago.  It’s in our top 3 of shows we’ve seen.  I was sad to hear that it’s ending on Broadway this year.  It’s coming to Montreal in January so I’m planning to bring my mother this time.  Enjoy the show!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am reading the book about Come From Away:

The Day The World Came to Town by Jim Defede.

If anyone plans to read it ,have tissues handy

I just finished the book and much to my surprise I found out that one of the passengers who was on a plane that landed in Gander was a woman who was a neighbor of mine when I lived in NYC.