Why do people sit around the pool?

Cozmic206

The pool is far too small for all those people unless 2/3 of them lay down under the water, and they would drown if they did that. So they are waiting until the other 2/3 of people jump in. It's a classic case of thinking too much about the situation.

I can’t speak for why no one would have been in the pool as I have not witnessed that however, one of the main reasons people go to a pool is NOT the pool itself, it is the act of sunbathing. Maybe they go in for a few minutes at a time to cool off but most of many peoples time is spent just lounging around. Some with a drink, some with a boom etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figure it's often just warm enough to sunbathe but not quite warm enough to swim comfortably?

BINGO!!!!!

Quite often I have found the temperature of pool water on ships to be well below comfortable for swimming. Cold enough to literally "take my breath away" would be the usual description I'd use....

BINGO!!!!!

Quite often I have found the temperature of pool water on ships to be well below comfortable for swimming. Cold enough to literally "take my breath away" would be the usual description I'd use....

Just this ....Caribbean ...Alaska ....Europe ... Mexico ..the pools are always too cold ...

I have often noticed very pretty girls beside the pool, once per trip. Often it seems to be the crew (dancers) having a day off and just enjoying the sun, but you would not know unless you saw the show(s). I'm sure the guys do the same, but ......

gyZ2VR

I'm talking more about these pictures where NO ONE is in the pool but everyone is sitting around it. I've been seeing this a lot amongst review photos.

In that particular picture I would assume that there is some event going on, probably at the end of the pool near where the photo was take from (people are generally facing that way). Maybe something which uses the pool at times which is why nobody is actually in it.

Every picture I've looked at for the main pool on Norwegian Escape, 98% of people are sitting around the pool and no one is actually in it. I don't see the point? Maybe I'm missing something?

If you mean sitting on the edge with feet in the water, it seems they want to be a little cool but do not want to actually get wet; if you mean on chairs or lounges, it is obvious: they want to enjoy a little bit of sun and fresh air but are not interested in swimming or only want to get in the water for a few minutes. It is like going to the beach and not getting into the water.

The entire pool is over 6 feet deep. You can’t really hang out in it like a normal pool since you can’t stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah ... but why do the pools on ships have to be that deep?? I reckon people will use them more if they were 4 feet or less deep. :confused:

I only get in the pool to cool off....they are usually way to crowded to do anything but stand there.

If you're looking at promotional photos, they make every photo look as enticing as possible....but what the photos show and what you actually see onboard is VERY different!

Every picture I've looked at for the main pool on Norwegian Escape, 98% of people are sitting around the pool and no one is actually in it. I don't see the point? Maybe I'm missing something?

To save a long walk to the Toilets?

This was me on the Escape two weeks ago. The water was so cold that I couldn't get in and just sat with my feet in the water. However, I do have to say that there were several people swimming laps and lots of other people in the water talking.

Yeah ... but why do the pools on ships have to be that deep?? I reckon people will use them more if they were 4 feet or less deep. :confused:
Most of the newer ships are going 5 to even 6.5 feet deep and it's for a reason ..... a good reason. Keeping the pools deeper keeps the drunks out of the pool so they are used for swimming and not for standing in with drinks while people pi$$ in them. Pools are for swimming, not for loud mouth drunks to stand in for 5 hours with 4 buckets of beer next to them. I love this trend. MSC Seaside was all 6 feet and it was used for pool activities and the drunks stayed by the bar. All cruise lines should follow this trend.....

You can see here at the end of the video just how small the pool is on the Escape with about a half dozen people in it.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeroHJikWI&t=8s

Most of the newer ships are going 5 to even 6.5 feet deep and it's for a reason ..... a good reason. Keeping the pools deeper keeps the drunks out of the pool so they are used for swimming and not for standing in with drinks while people pi$$ in them. Pools are for swimming, not for loud mouth drunks to stand in for 5 hours with 4 buckets of beer next to them. I love this trend. MSC Seaside was all 6 feet and it was used for pool activities and the drunks stayed by the bar. All cruise lines should follow this trend.....

I have to disagree about “pools are for swimming”. Unless it is a pool specifically designed for swimming with lanes etc. case in point is basically any land based public pool or even private membership based pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL you sound like an absolute pleasure to cruise with.. Sheeeeesh! :eek::eek:

I'm thinking this poster isn't referring to people lounging on the pool deck, but actually sitting around the edges of the actual pool, like in this photo. I still maintain that it's because the pool is too deep to actually hang out in the pool itself unless you are swimming laps or something.

norwegian-escape-norwegian-ncl-17553.jpg