No Fire (Restaurants) on NCL

mjbarb

I have cruised NCL about 10-12 times but on our last NCL cruise (2016) I noticed there is no open flames. It may have been a change in the restaurants that occurred some time ago, but I just realized it on our last sail and I have seen open flames on previous trips. We have a trip booked in 2months on the Escape and really enjoy a "Pittsburgh" style steak, sometimes called black and blue. I recall ordering at Cagneys on many other sails, but sadly...this last trip, it was nowhere near a Pitt style steak at all. Does anyone know how to order to achieve some close consistency to this style steak since my guess is that only electric is now being used on board exclusively?

I pan sear my steak at home sometimes when I don’t feel like firing up the grill and certainly cook mine RARE like a Pittsburgh Black and Blue. I don’t see why cagneys would not be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The only open flames that used to be used onboard were for flambe items like Bananas Foster. These caused problems with sprinklers in the dining venues, and have been restricted or eliminated. Even for a pastry chef to get a propane torch for creme brulee or baked alaska, they need to get it from a special locker, with a supervisor's authority, and use it in a special location for a specified time. There were never any gas flame grills on the ships.

The ship's use a device called a "salamandar" to grill items, and even many steak houses on land use these, as the heat produced in them is quite intense. Whether the galley staff can use this to produce a "blue" steak is a different question, and there may be company policies about the "done-ness" of meat, to go along with the required warnings on the menus.

There are flames and there are flames. There’s a scene in NCL’s signature Elements show that clearly involves open flames. But I assume they use some magician’s substance that burns at a relatively low temperature. And they don’t cook any steaks during the show.

The only open flames that used to be used onboard were for flambe items like Bananas Foster. These caused problems with sprinklers in the dining venues, and have been restricted or eliminated. Even for a pastry chef to get a propane torch for creme brulee or baked alaska, they need to get it from a special locker, with a supervisor's authority, and use it in a special location for a specified time. There were never any gas flame grills on the ships.

The ship's use a device called a "salamandar" to grill items, and even many steak houses on land use these, as the heat produced in them is quite intense. Whether the galley staff can use this to produce a "blue" steak is a different question, and there may be company policies about the "done-ness" of meat, to go along with the required warnings on the menus.

They don't have any gas burners anywhere for cooking? I can swear at the Italian place on Spirit they had gas cooktop there.

No candles on Birthday cakes either.
Not to mention the Baked Alaska parades, and the maitre'd preparing cherries jubilee tableside. Those days are long gone.

They don't have any gas burners anywhere for cooking? I can swear at the Italian place on Spirit they had gas cooktop there.

Nope. The requirements necessary to have piped gas on a ship (it flexes after all, unlike a building) are such that even limited uses would be prohibitively expensive (both in initial cost and insurance) for just a couple of ranges or grills.

I have cruised NCL about 10-12 times but on our last NCL cruise (2016) I noticed there is no open flames. It may have been a change in the restaurants that occurred some time ago, but I just realized it on our last sail and I have seen open flames on previous trips. We have a trip booked in 2months on the Escape and really enjoy a "Pittsburgh" style steak, sometimes called black and blue. I recall ordering at Cagneys on many other sails, but sadly...this last trip, it was nowhere near a Pitt style steak at all. Does anyone know how to order to achieve some close consistency to this style steak since my guess is that only electric is now being used on board exclusively?

:D Maybe Bar B Q on the pool deck could burn a burger for ya.

Nope. The requirements necessary to have piped gas on a ship (it flexes after all, unlike a building) are such that even limited uses would be prohibitively expensive (both in initial cost and insurance) for just a couple of ranges or grills.

I wish ALL of your CC posts were organized and edited into a book. Have read books on the cruise industry written by crew members in hospitality. But I can't recall seeing any from the technical field. Your posts are so informative and interesting. I know it would be a best seller! What do you say? Anybody else agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Thanks 1

I wish ALL of your CC posts were organized and edited into a book. Have read books on the cruise industry written by crew members in hospitality. But I can't recall seeing any from the technical field. Your posts are so informative and interesting. I know it would be a best seller! What do you say? Anybody else agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree!

Basically, all cruise ships use induction (not electric) cooking.

I've seen some portable induction units, and technically induction is electro-magnetic anyway, but the major ranges, flat tops, and salamanders are all regular electric heating elements. The newest ships may use induction cooktops in smaller specialty galleys, but I believe the main galley still uses radiant electric heat.

I saw a tv special on World of the Seas (I think that that was the name), a private cruise ship where you purchase space for millions of dollars and design and build your own private suite.

During the special it was mentioned that open flames were prohibited and all cooking devices were required to be electric.

They even had sensors in the cabin kitchen areas that automatically sealed off the kitchen if a flame was detected.

I don't know if this was a Coast Guard requirement or just an insurance situation.

I saw a tv special on World of the Seas (I think that that was the name), a private cruise ship where you purchase space for millions of dollars and design and build your own private suite.

During the special it was mentioned that open flames were prohibited and all cooking devices were required to be electric.

They even had sensors in the cabin kitchen areas that automatically sealed off the kitchen if a flame was detected.

I don't know if this was a Coast Guard requirement or just an insurance situation.

I believe you are referring to the World of Residensea, the "condo" ship. First off, USCG has no real jurisdiction over foreign flag ships, that would fall to the maritime agency of the flag state. However, the way a ship is designed and built is regulated by a "classification society", as required by the flag state, which acts as insurance underwriter, certifying the vessel is structurally sound, seaworthy, safe to operate, etc. These class societies use industry best practices to promulgate their regulations, and banning gas cooking devices is one of those "best practices".

• 9 months later...

We sailed on the initial cruise of NCL's Pride of America and the Jefferson's restaurant had a dinner for 2 which was flambe'd at the table.  The different meats (beef, chicken, pork I think) were arranged on a spiked tree apparatus, doused with brandy and set on fire. You had to let this cook the meat and burn out.  The juices were captured below so as to used for dipping.  It made for quite the spectacle

It's not just the flame that is an issue, LPG is heavier than air, if you have a gas leak on a ship it needs bailing out as it falls to the bottom of the ship and pools there like water.

Natural gas in the home is lighter than air and rises in a leak, normally LPG would be used in mobile situations, RV's, boats, ships etc. Natural gas can be liquified for transport but is unusual as it's more expensive to liquify and needs larger stronger storage containers, that said some cities use liquid natural gas LNG in public vehicles but they normally liquify the gas at the point of filling and being pubic vehicles they don't go far and fill regularly.

As LPG falls to low level, on a ship it's like filling a bucket.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:44 PM, BirdTravels said:

You get a flickering candle on your table. Even had a waiter put it under the chocolate fondue in Le Bistro.

I don't know about a candle under the fondue, but the flickering candles on the table are definitely not real. They are battery powered.