Check your room cleanliness and press the issue

I would send all photos to CDC and as many TV stations as possible. A reporter would have a field day with these photos and doing a story on it. I guarantee it will get attention and ruffle some RCL feathers. As they say...”A picture is worth a thousand words.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nice having facts. Your post is very much appreciated. Thank you! Unless evidence suggests otherwise I am chalking up the dirty filter to an oversight. The way the staff handled it was terrible though.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Learn not to be so trusting!!:D

Mike

For those replying to my post about how their filters at home aren't as dirty as what OP showed. The reason is duct work. The air intake for your furnace isn't at your furnance it is from cold air returns. These are the vent(s) in your home that don't blow out hot/cold air there is at least one, ideally more. All the hair, dust, dead skin, etc, etc goes thru these ducts before reaching your expensive filter for your furnace. A LOT of debris gets stuck to the walls of this duct work never making it to your filter.

All furnaces leak incoming air around the filter (All in the reality sense of the word. I'm sure there is at least one person who has hermetically sealed their furnance) that filth is recirculated and gets all over your heat exchangers (this is why you should have your HVAC system cleaned yearly).

I also enjoy how everyone ignores the part I typed about their office. I'm sure they are lining up to demand it is cleaned or they will quit their jobs.

I also enjoy how everyone acts so disgusted but no one is posting about how they are cancelling their cruise.

I am positive some, including the OP, will use this info to get discounts on future cruises. Act disgusted about it, but keep on cruising.

What about the nest of hair and dirt; what's the schedule for stuff like that? (That one I'm going to put on the room steward a bit; it's like he never vaccumed the perimeter of the room, just the middle of the floor, but again, their resources and time are set by management)

It may be different on ships, but in my experience at a 4star hotel housekeepers were assigned a daily rotating project. Sweeping carpet edges (including behind furniture) was one of them. Other projects include: clean the phones, beat the curtains with a duster, dust all walls, clean marks off walls, replace any marked or soiled paper in the room service menu, clean the picture windows, etc.

It is not possible to completely clean all rooms on turnaround but if you do a little extra every day your rooms will be kept up. My Adventure steward said he had 13 rooms, but some were jr suites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If "every room on every cruise ship" has an air filter as filthy as the one pictured in this thread, then I guess I have to stop cruising.

I have not generally seen the pictured level of accumulated dirt in cabins. To suggest this is the norm makes me wonder if there is a marching band with baton twirlers in the background.

No. The air filter in my home gets nowhere near as caked with gunk as the one pictured in this thread. Likely because it gets replaced regularly.

Maybe we need to start a ship-specific air filter size thread and bring our own. After seeing that picture I would. The last couple of cruises I have come home sick.

We had a similar experience on a Celebrity ship. Filthy air filter and filthy vents.

Stained and torn drapes(some tears over 2 feet long).

Stained sheets and towels.

Hair and dirt on the baseboards and in closet.

Carpet in cabin and in hallway torn. People were tripping in the halls.

Stained furniture in public areas.

Talked to cabin steward and his supervisor, went to guest services, talked to Hotel Director. Nothing was done. Not even an apology.

Cleanest ship I've ever been on was MSC.

Which ship?

For those replying to my post about how their filters at home aren't as dirty as what OP showed. The reason is duct work. The air intake for your furnace isn't at your furnance it is from cold air returns. These are the vent(s) in your home that don't blow out hot/cold air there is at least one, ideally more. All the hair, dust, dead skin, etc, etc goes thru these ducts before reaching your expensive filter for your furnace. A LOT of debris gets stuck to the walls of this duct work never making it to your filter.

All furnaces leak incoming air around the filter (All in the reality sense of the word. I'm sure there is at least one person who has hermetically sealed their furnance) that filth is recirculated and gets all over your heat exchangers (this is why you should have your HVAC system cleaned yearly).

I also enjoy how everyone ignores the part I typed about their office. I'm sure they are lining up to demand it is cleaned or they will quit their jobs.

I also enjoy how everyone acts so disgusted but no one is posting about how they are cancelling their cruise.

I am positive some, including the OP, will use this info to get discounts on future cruises. Act disgusted about it, but keep on cruising.

Ok, yeah sure....

Gross! I bet it is not exclusive to your cabin. We just got off Navigator and that would explain why my allergies were terrible in our cabin. Never thought about the air filter. I did reflect my feelings about this ship’s poor maintenance when I filled out the guest survey. I hope the standards are not declining fleet wide.

I work for an airline and the airplane is vacuumed once a day... and yet people walk to the lav without shoes on. (Hint: that is NOT water on the floor) The tray tables are cleaned MAYBE once a day, and yet people eat from them. (Hint: people change baby diapers on them. Sometimes rest bare feet there too.)

The airlines are not a good example for cleanliness during quick turns. [emoji51]

Unfortunately so true.

I would have preferred a partial refund, or full refund and debark at first port with travel home at company expense. But hospitality companies don't give refunds. They only give credits. So I obtained the best credit I could, why would I do any less? Why would I cancel other cruises?

Preachy-sounding diatribe about how filters work is lovely and all, but you didn't address the filth, the overall lack of maintenance, dust/dirt/hair wads, dead insects in the light, stained carpets and curtains. Spend thousands of dollars on a vacation and expecting a clean room isn't being unreasonable.

You would not have appreciated receiving this room, please don't act like it was something the company should be proud of or a guest happy to receive. Like I said, my only mistake was not posting all the photos together because people have become laser focused on the first filter pics and don't look at anything else.

When you get a cruise ship cabin like this, any line, be sure to let us know.

P.S. - At my office a few people were having chronic issues traced back to poor ducting in their space. Could not be remediated easily so management shut down that section of the office and moved them into mobile offices while they did more extensive environmental work. Your blanket statements just don't work here.

By the way; I got a 35% Future Cruise Credit. I hope if this situation happens to you or someone else you are compensated fairly as well. Or you can get walked over, up to you.

I have been in the HVAC business for almost 30 years now. Here in SC, the vast majority of homes have the filter located at the filter grill in the wall or ceiling of the house, not at the unit.

I have been in the HVAC business for almost 30 years now. Here in SC, the vast majority of homes have the filter located at the filter grill in the wall or ceiling of the house, not at the unit.

In my experience, that is the situation when there is one return duct, usually centrally located in a hallway or the like, on a single story home. Homes with less "open" plan, and/or multiple stories, and even multiple zones of control, it is far more efficient to have multiple returns, and therefore the air filter will be located at the air handler.

The filter that is the center of this thread is for the individual cabin cooler, that merely recirculates the air within the cabin past a small cooler (that is controlled by the thermostat) for the individual cabin. There is also fresh air supply that is cooled as well, and these central units that handle blocks of cabins, or public spaces, have the air filters at the air handler.

In my experience, that is the situation when there is one return duct, usually centrally located in a hallway or the like, on a single story home. Homes with less "open" plan, and/or multiple stories, and even multiple zones of control, it is far more efficient to have multiple returns, and therefore the air filter will be located at the air handler.

The filter that is the center of this thread is for the individual cabin cooler, that merely recirculates the air within the cabin past a small cooler (that is controlled by the thermostat) for the individual cabin. There is also fresh air supply that is cooled as well, and these central units that handle blocks of cabins, or public spaces, have the air filters at the air handler.

I have seen home setup both ways. Typically it is very old home that were built without central heating and air that have the multiple returns with filter back at unit. But in my hands on experience, the vast majority of homes here in SC do not have a filter located at the unit.

No commercial HVAC is different. Commercial HVAC almost always has the filters located at the unit.

When I was still working as a HVAC field technician, I would change more filters in half a year than most people would change in two lifetimes.

Several places, we would change monthly and they would still look like they were plugged up.

I have seen home setup both ways. Typically it is very old home that were built without central heating and air that have the multiple returns with filter back at unit. But in my hands on experience, the vast majority of homes here in SC do not have a filter located at the unit.

No commercial HVAC is different. Commercial HVAC almost always has the filters located at the unit.

When I was still working as a HVAC field technician, I would change more filters in half a year than most people would change in two lifetimes.

Several places, we would change monthly and they would still look like they were plugged up.

Yep, you hit it right, homes in New England tend to be older, and forced hot air heat and central air conditioning are the exceptions and not the norm.

I would have preferred a partial refund, or full refund and debark at first port with travel home at company expense. But hospitality companies don't give refunds. They only give credits. So I obtained the best credit I could, why would I do any less? Why would I cancel other cruises?

Preachy-sounding diatribe about how filters work is lovely and all, but you didn't address the filth, the overall lack of maintenance, dust/dirt/hair wads, dead insects in the light, stained carpets and curtains. Spend thousands of dollars on a vacation and expecting a clean room isn't being unreasonable.

You would not have appreciated receiving this room, please don't act like it was something the company should be proud of or a guest happy to receive. Like I said, my only mistake was not posting all the photos together because people have become laser focused on the first filter pics and don't look at anything else.

When you get a cruise ship cabin like this, any line, be sure to let us know.

P.S. - At my office a few people were having chronic issues traced back to poor ducting in their space. Could not be remediated easily so management shut down that section of the office and moved them into mobile offices while they did more extensive environmental work. Your blanket statements just don't work here.

By the way; I got a 35% Future Cruise Credit. I hope if this situation happens to you or someone else you are compensated fairly as well. Or you can get walked over, up to you.

Thank you for bringing the full story of your disgusting cabin condition to our attention and I'm pleased you got a reasonable compensation even though all you really wanted was a clean cabin which you had every right to expect.

Graham.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

For those replying to my post about how their filters at home aren't as dirty as what OP showed. The reason is duct work. The air intake for your furnace isn't at your furnance it is from cold air returns. These are the vent(s) in your home that don't blow out hot/cold air there is at least one, ideally more. All the hair, dust, dead skin, etc, etc goes thru these ducts before reaching your expensive filter for your furnace. A LOT of debris gets stuck to the walls of this duct work never making it to your filter....

Previously you suggested that home air filters were as filthy as the one under discussion. Now the suggestion is that there is a reason they are not. Make up your mind.

What is under discussion in this thread is a cabin air filter. Perhaps you would like to start a separate thread, (in the appropriate section) about office air quality. BTW, this is a hot topic in my part of the world.

My sense is that many of us will be examining the filter in their next cabin. Should it prove equally filthy I know I will be looking for another cruise line. Right now we all hope this example is a one-off.

Just as I am positive there are those diligently trying to deflect criticism from a cruise line. Perhaps they are rewarded in some way.

Having been born and raised in Florida, and still living here. Every home I have owned has the filter inside the air handler. There may be a return on the wall with a filter but it’s part of the air handler box. This includes my parents homes as well.

We don’t have duct work under the floor. Our AC vents are typically on the ceiling and not on the floor or lower wall. We seldom need heat.

I can't help but feel like I want to cancel my upcoming cruise on the Adventure, including the other couples who haven't been on Royal that we talked into joining us. The sanitation of these cabins is unacceptable to me. You should not have to pack cleaning items when going on a cruise...but I imagine we all will do that now.

Having been born and raised in Florida, and still living here. Every home I have owned has the filter inside the air handler. There may be a return on the wall with a filter but it’s part of the air handler box. This includes my parents homes as well.

We don’t have duct work under the floor. Our AC vents are typically on the ceiling and not on the floor or lower wall. We seldom need heat.

We have water heated radiators running from a gas lit water boiler.

We have no ducts etc.

No need for AC in NE England and on the few occasions it is to warm we open all the Windows.

I can't help but feel like I want to cancel my upcoming cruise on the Adventure, including the other couples who haven't been on Royal that we talked into joining us. The sanitation of these cabins is unacceptable to me. You should not have to pack cleaning items when going on a cruise...but I imagine we all will do that now.
We always have at least a balcony cabin and get a lot of fresh air in the cabin.

We have water heated radiators running from a gas lit water boiler.

We have no ducts etc.

No need for AC in NE England and on the few occasions it is to warm we open all the Windows.

Early homes in Florida didn’t have AC either. Older homes had roll out windows. I grew up in Florida without AC. First home with AC was late 60’s and first systems required a well/pump and was a water to air exchange. Our groundwater maintains a 72* F year round temp. So we exchanged the heat/cold from the well water to heat/cool homes.

Some tropical areas of Florida still use the benefit of Ocean Breeze to cool but have AC backup. It’s too humid here year round to use some other cheaper means of cooling. Today, mostly heat pumps are installed. Some newer installations use refrigerated water/fan to cool. AC is the largest part of our electric bills. Our current home requires 3 heat pump units to cool sufficiently (4500 sq/Ft).

Early homes in Florida didn’t have AC either. Older homes had roll out windows. I grew up in Florida without AC. First home with AC was late 60’s and first systems required a well/pump and was a water to air exchange. Our groundwater maintains a 72* F year round temp. So we exchanged the heat/cold from the well water to heat/cool homes.

Some tropical areas of Florida still use the benefit of Ocean Breeze to cool but have AC backup. It’s too humid here year round to use some other cheaper means of cooling. Today, mostly heat pumps are installed. Some newer installations use refrigerated water/fan to cool. AC is the largest part of our electric bills. Our current home requires 3 heat pump units to cool sufficiently (4500 sq/Ft).

We still get big gas and electricity bills because it is often cool here.

We have been to Orlando many times and i agree AC is a big must.

We still get big gas and electricity bills because it is often cool here.

We have been to Orlando many times and i agree AC is a big must.

Lived in Florida all my life. The hottest I have ever been was in Columbia, South Carolina June-August. Army Boot Camp and no AC.