Bed by Veranda question

edgee

We have taken 7 cruises on Solstice class ships, but have always chosen cabins with bed closer to bath rather than closer to verandah door. Cabin availability is tight on our next cruise, so, looks like we will have bed close to verandah door.

Would appreciate thoughts about pros and cons for having bed closer to verandah and also wondered how close the bed is to the verandah door curtains...is there plenty of room to get out of bed on the verandah side without brushing against curtains?

Thanks!

We have taken 7 cruises on Solstice class ships, but have always chosen cabins with bed closer to bath rather than closer to verandah door. Cabin availability is tight on our next cruise, so, looks like we will have bed close to verandah door.

Would appreciate thoughts about pros and cons for having bed closer to verandah and also wondered how close the bed is to the verandah door curtains...is there plenty of room to get out of bed on the verandah side without brushing against curtains?

Thanks!

Yes, there's plenty of room to get out of bed on the verandah side. There's still the nightstand shelves next to the bed. I prefer the bed near the bath since I like to sit at the desk near the verandah and put on my makeup, do my hair etc. and there's better light. I also like the couch near the verandah for sitting and looking out if I'm not outside rather than across the room and bed. I find the cabin darker for those uses when the bed is next to the verandah. On the other hand, when the bed is near the verandah there is much easier access to the closet. All that said, I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if the itinerary, timing and costs were all attractive.

We had bed near verandah a couple of months ago, and the opposite arrangement on a different ship the year before. DH pointed out that the room with bed close to closet seemed more spacious than the other way round, because bed did not break up the sightline. We had no trouble getting out of bed on the verandah side, but you kind of have to sit on the sofa to access the wall side of the closet.

We usually have the bed near the bath, not planned that way - just happens. Last time the bed was near the balcony and I much preferred it. It was easier getting dressed, we could both change in the area without getting our clothes out of the wardrobe, then walk round the bed to larger space to dress.

Also, in the morning I would open the curtains and just sit in bed watching the sea go by. So peaceful and very restful.

I am happy for either, both have their positives and both their negatives, I just prefer the bed near the balcony. I would not choose a cabin on that criteria only though.

Previously we have had the bed near the bathroom but on our last cruise, we had it near the balcony. We really liked it, so much so, that we have booked a stateroom with the bed near the balcony for our next cruise. There is plenty of room to get in and out of bed and there's something special about lying/sitting in bed and looking out to sea. It's also so much easier getting into the large cupboard.

I prefer the bed near the balcony personally. I feel like when you enter the room and see the sofa and desk arrangement it feels more like an apartment than it does when the bed greets you first. And its easier to drop stuff off on the couch or desk as you come in versus having to circumvent the bed to get to that area. That being said both are fine.

We ALWAYS choose the bed by the veranda on the port side of the ship for two reasons:

1. The room feels much larger without the bed directly in front of you when you walk into the room.

2. More importantly, when the cabin is located on the port side, the position of the bed when it is by the balcony means when you are lying in bed, your body is facing forward with the motion of the ship. This makes a major difference for someone who suffers from sea sickness.

We ALWAYS choose the bed by the veranda on the port side of the ship for two reasons:

1. The room feels much larger without the bed directly in front of you when you walk into the room.

2. More importantly, when the cabin is located on the port side, the position of the bed when it is by the balcony means when you are lying in bed, your body is facing forward with the motion of the ship. This makes a major difference for someone who suffers from sea sickness.

Interesting about the sea sickness....I don't have that problem so I never really thought about it....but I always choose the bed by the veranda because I usually get up in the middle of the night and I like to peek outside to see what's going on......nothing is going on of course, but I like the idea that if it were I could see it. ;p

I guess we balance things out...we prefer the bed by the bathroom which leaves the couch, desk and balcony together as a larger “living area” vs the “sleeping area”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess we balance things out...we prefer the bed by the bathroom which leaves the couch, desk and balcony together as a larger “living area” vs the “sleeping area”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We agree, but if the price, timing and itinerary are right we'll take either. Especially if it is the first off the hump largest balcony! :D

I, too, prefer the bed by the veranda. I feel like I have a more normal and larger living space having the desk, sofa, closet, and bathroom all in one area. Then the bed feels more like it is in a bedroom. I also enjoy watching the sea from the bed.

Carolyn

We also prefer the bed by the verandah. It seems a more convenient configuration having the bathroom, closet, and desk which houses the hairdryer, all in one area without having to go to and fro past the bed all the time.

Yes, there's plenty of room to get out of bed on the verandah side. There's still the nightstand shelves next to the bed. I prefer the bed near the bath since I like to sit at the desk near the verandah and put on my makeup, do my hair etc. and there's better light. I also like the couch near the verandah for sitting and looking out if I'm not outside rather than across the room and bed. I find the cabin darker for those uses when the bed is next to the verandah. On the other hand, when the bed is near the verandah there is much easier access to the closet. All that said, I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if the itinerary, timing and costs were all attractive.

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

This is one of 'those' threads that amuses me simply because I've never given an smidgen of thought as to where the bed might be. As I've read this thread (and a similar one a few weeks ago) I find that I just don't take the time to consider many things that other folks find important. But, that's just me. I'm just very glad to be alive and cruising. :cool:

Context: Light-hearted conversation not intended to offend anyone. Just a thought.

We prefer the bed by the balcony as well. That being said, we just booked a cruise on Equinox and have the second off the hump on the slant. We had the first one off of the hump on the slant last year and The balcony was bigger, but the second and fourth have even a bigger balcony so we were excited about that.....then found out the bed is by the bathroom. We are still going to go with it and see how we like it!

How can you tell where the bed is situated? we have cabin 7198 on Solstice for a cruise in December?

Stateroom 7198 is a connecting cabin with 7200. It has bed by the balcony. All staterooms alternate bed by the bath/balcony/bath/balcony, etc. If you look at the deck plans, staterooms with a square denoting fold out sofa beds, the sofa beds are always by the balcony, so the bed is by the bath. Since the bed is by the bath, and all cabins alternate, 7198 has bed by the balcony.

I always enjoy reading these threads about bed location because my husband and I are also two of those folks who are totally indifferent about bed location!

We first pick the itinerary, cruise date, ship and cost that we like. Then we select cabin category and location and try to find a nice oversized slant hump balcony. Then, we prefer the bed near the bath, but we'd opt for all the other choices first. We'll have a great time regardless.

We have had both and prefer the bed to be by the balcony. We like having the open space close to the bath. It makes access to the closet easier but it still only allows one person in at a time because the doors slide. If you have your cloths mixed together when hanging in the closet than it doesn’t matter but we keep ours separated. Also makes dressing easier.

There may be a issue if people are prone to orientation motion when sleeping. I can’t remember what the orientation of the beds are but because of how the walls are “S” shaped on one side of the cabin and straight on the other the headboards alternate on each side changing the direction the beds are in. The cabins are in pairs and one will have the head of the bed moving head first and the other feet first. I think that it also depends on what side of the ship the cabins are on. If there are feet first on one side of the ship the same layout may be head first on the other.

More to add to the mix.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

About 4 years ago we did a cruise that visited Nova Scotia. The night before the day we were due to dock in Halifax the seas got quite rough after we went to bed. We were on deck 9. I awoke to find myself falling out of bed because of the rocking of the ship and once I got back in the bed I could see the water over the balcony when the ship rolled without sitting up or raising my head. The balcony divider shook loose and was banging into the furniture all night. We had to skip docking the next morning because of the high seas and 70mph winds. That night and day I was grateful the bed was near the bath as I might have rolled right into the door instead of just off the bed! I had forgotten that until I read this thread!

We prefer the bed by the balcony as well. That being said, we just booked a cruise on Equinox and have the second off the hump on the slant. We had the first one off of the hump on the slant last year and The balcony was bigger, but the second and fourth have even a bigger balcony so we were excited about that.....then found out the bed is by the bathroom. We are still going to go with it and see how we like it!

purplsmurf: You're going to be so happy with your balcony you won't care where the bed is!!! Love the bump/hump cabins!! :hearteyes:

I always enjoy reading these threads about bed location because my husband and I are also two of those folks who are totally indifferent about bed location!

I agree...but it's so much more fun to sit here with my coffee on a cold, dreary Sunday morning and read posts about which side of the room is better.....a nice change from the problems and complaints. :D

We pick a cabin with a large balcony and it's usually with the bed by the veranda since we pretty much take the same cabin :)

We like it because when you come into the room the bed is on the far side. Just seems more open. Wife likes to lay in bed looking at the ocean too. But, with the right balcony any configuration works for us :)

We pick a cabin with a large balcony and it's usually with the bed by the veranda since we pretty much take the same cabin :)

We like it because when you come into the room the bed is on the far side. Just seems more open. Wife likes to lay in bed looking at the ocean too. But, with the right balcony any configuration works for us :)

What are the chances of getting a suite with a water bed that is perpendicular with the headboard toward the bathroom. That way I could feel as if I was sleeping on a ship in the middle of an ocean..... oh wait..... well, if nothing else it might be easier to roll out of bed if timing is right. How many people can deny they are over fifty and never owned a water bed? :cool:

What are the chances of getting a suite with a water bed that is perpendicular with the headboard toward the bathroom. That way I could feel as if I was sleeping on a ship in the middle of an ocean..... oh wait..... well, if nothing else it might be easier to roll out of bed if timing is right. How many people can deny they are over fifty and never owned a water bed? :cool:

And at times I do miss it :)