Wine bottles on the ship

Until recently I would bring my own corkscrew as I found the ones provided on-board to be fairly wimpy. However I also now bring wine with screw tops. Some vinters that make high quality wine switched to screwtops because there was an issue with corkage a few years back.

I already have my two bottles purchased for my upcoming cruise.

I've actually found a LOT of decent wine with screw tops - even in Spain - which makes a corkscrew a non-issue.

I've actually found a LOT of decent wine with screw tops - even in Spain - which makes a corkscrew a non-issue.

Until recently I would bring my own corkscrew as I found the ones provided on-board to be fairly wimpy. However I also now bring wine with screw tops. Some vinters that make high quality wine switched to screwtops because there was an issue with corkage a few years back.

I already have my two bottles purchased for my upcoming cruise.

So it won´t be long until we see a "screw you fee";p

I always bring my corkscrew too! I usually order a glass of wine at the bar asap then I have a wine glass, back to my room, and fill it up with the wine I brought on board. Last cruise, I walked down to the MDR with a glass of wine in my hand each night.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we meet our cabin steward on boarding day, I request two wine glasses each day. Never been an issue.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

You can ask a bartender for the wine glasses or the cabin steward. If you bring the bottles with a cork, bring your own corkscrew. The ones the ship gives you aren't really that good. We broke two of them given to us. We will be buying the screw on bottles or bringing our own corkscrews.

I always bring my corkscrew too! I usually order a glass of wine at the bar asap then I have a wine glass, back to my room, and fill it up with the wine I brought on board. Last cruise, I walked down to the MDR with a glass of wine in my hand each night.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also do that. Whether it's a glass of wine from our cabin, diamond vouchers or BP. Like to have a drink while deciding on what we want to eat and sometimes bar service is slow in the MDR.

Oh dear...what are you operating on with that first aid kit wine key? That little knife is going to take some time. :eek:;)

The only emergency operation will be cutting the foil on the wine bottle. ;):wine-glass:

I bring the tall aluminum coffee mugs with a cover on board, pour in a decent amount of wine and carry it around for the night, it stays cold . No need to go back to the cabin for a refill. Its not a wine glass but works for me.

Cute idea! We bring insulated mugs for every cruise, but use them for our morning coffee as we walk the decks.

Actually my wine never has a chance to get very warm...seems to have a leak in the bottom of my wine glass I guess. :eek:;)

There was a very expensive wine in Napa at one time called "Screw Kappa Napa". They were tired of the cork taint (mold/bacteria) that would ruin a wine.

Many of my favorite Sauvignon Blancs from New Zeeland have screw caps. They are not fond of the tree bark stoppers either. ;)

The only emergency operation will be cutting the foil on the wine bottle. ;):wine-glass:

Actually it's pretty funny how many times the TSA will take those wine keys from you. I have lost many of them. :( Like you are going to scare anyone with that tiny knife!! :eek: I am more scared of the people bonking me on the head with those over sized carry on bags. :o

So I had something interesting happen to me on our last cruise. When we sailed out of Galveston on 4/22, my wife and I both had a bottle of wine in each of our carry-ons. Well, we went though security and after I passed my bag though,the officer ask if I had a bottle of wine, I said yes I did, so he then tells me to go over to a table with a RC guy sitting behind it. The guy then asked me to take out my wine he then he took it,wrote down my name and room number from my set sail pass, took out a big roll of tape wrapped it around my bottle and wrote our cabin number on it. He then proceeded to put my bottle behind the table on the floor with about 10 other bottles, mind you this was pretty early still around 10 am. I asked what will happen to my bottle, he said they would deliver it to our cabin tonight. I didn’t get the bottle till 9:30 that night, I wanted to take it to chops that night, oh well. Oh and by the way they said nothing to my wife and she just carried our other bottle on, no problem. It was kind of annoying because it took like 5 mins for the guy to do his thing. Has this ever happen to anyone else?

So I had something interesting happen to me on our last cruise. When we sailed out of Galveston on 4/22, my wife and I both had a bottle of wine in each of our carry-ons. Well, we went though security and after I passed my bag though,the officer ask if I had a bottle of wine, I said yes I did, so he then tells me to go over to a table with a RC guy sitting behind it. The guy then asked me to take out my wine he then he took it,wrote down my name and room number from my set sail pass, took out a big roll of tape wrapped it around my bottle and wrote our cabin number on it. He then proceeded to put my bottle behind the table on the floor with about 10 other bottles, mind you this was pretty early still around 10 am. I asked what will happen to my bottle, he said they would deliver it to our cabin tonight. I didn’t get the bottle till 9:30 that night, I wanted to take it to chops that night, oh well. Oh and by the way they said nothing to my wife and she just carried our other bottle on, no problem. It was kind of annoying because it took like 5 mins for the guy to do his thing. Has this ever happen to anyone else?

Nope. But we don't stop at the table.

Are you allowed to only bring two for "Free", but bring more and get charged the corkage?

I wish Royal would allow this. I would even agree to bring nothing they have in the cellar if I could bring my own case of wine on board. Even when we go to all inclusive resorts we bring our own wine (most have no drinkable wine and the upgrade you pay for is Barefoot). When we sailed on Adventure in 2006, a couple at our table said they brought their own wine on for a $25 corkage fee per bottle. I don't know if Royal used to allow wine on board with a corkage.

Nope. But we don't stop at the table.

Never had that happen either since they made the rule of 2 bottles per cabin a few years ago. Hope this is just odd ball security agents at Galveston, not a new thing for RCI. :o

I wish Royal would allow this. I would even agree to bring nothing they have in the cellar if I could bring my own case of wine on board. Even when we go to all inclusive resorts we bring our own wine (most have no drinkable wine and the upgrade you pay for is Barefoot). When we sailed on Adventure in 2006, a couple at our table said they brought their own wine on for a $25 corkage fee per bottle. I don't know if Royal used to allow wine on board with a corkage.

On our last cruise with NCL, we brought 8 bottles and paid the $15 per bottle fee. We didnt have a drink pkg so this worked out much cheaper for us. They would just write your cabin number on a sticker on the bottles and they would even keep it for you at the mdrs. Worked out great!

Never had that happen either since they made the rule of 2 bottles per cabin a few years ago. Hope this is just odd ball security agents at Galveston, not a new thing for RCI. :o

September 2016 we did a US/Canada Coastal Cruise on the Explorer out of Seattle. After security scanned my back pack the agent asked if I was carrying on wine, "yes" so told me to go over to table where a RC employee was sitting. I guess the RC employee was checking carry on wine. Not sure exactly what he was doing as we walked on by and checked in and boarded the ship. :halo: That was the first and last time we experienced anything like that.

September 2016 we did a US/Canada Coastal Cruise on the Explorer out of Seattle. After security scanned my back pack the agent asked if I was carrying on wine, "yes" so told me to go over to table where a RC employee was sitting. I guess the RC employee was checking carry on wine. Not sure exactly what he was doing as we walked on by and checked in and boarded the ship. :halo: That was the first and last time we experienced anything like that.

That is indeed very odd. Have not seen that where they collect your allowed carry on bottles of 2 per cabin. Seems like a silly thing to do, causing extra man power to do so. Hope we don't run into that in the future...because we will do as you did. :cool:

Oh...and now that song is stuck in my head. ;)

That is indeed very odd. Have not seen that where they collect your allowed carry on bottles of 2 per cabin. Seems like a silly thing to do, causing extra man power to do so. Hope we don't run into that in the future...because we will do as you did. :cool:

Agree. Our last RC cruise (April 2017) was a B2B on the Jewel out of San Juan. No wine checking other than the normal security scanner.:confused: Our next RC cruise is a B2B on the Freedom out of San Juan March 2019. If (?) we don't purchase the BPs and carry-on wine I don't expect anything different.

Agree. Our last RC cruise (April 2017) was a B2B on the Jewel out of San Juan. No wine checking other than the normal security scanner.:confused: Our next RC cruise is a B2B on the Freedom out of San Juan March 2019. If (?) we don't purchase the BPs and carry-on wine I don't expect anything different.

Yeah, I think the Galveston thing was probably a fluke...perhaps by over zealous security at that port? :confused::o

I am guessing they are cross referencing the carried on bottles of wine, with what may be in the checked luggage. I am guessing if they find you had wine in your checked luggage, you wouldn't get the bottles in your carryon for the duration cruise. The timing of them not getting the wine until 9:30pm that night supports the theory.

I have never seen this except during a port stop.

I am guessing they are cross referencing the carried on bottles of wine, with what may be in the checked luggage. I am guessing if they find you had wine in your checked luggage, you wouldn't get the bottles in your carryon for the duration cruise. The timing of them not getting the wine until 9:30pm that night supports the theory.

I have never seen this except during a port stop.

It's not that complicated. The security agents have no idea what carry on bag goes to what cabin. Most pax do not put their wine in checked luggage. Too easily broken, plus the scanners for checked luggage can't determine if your wine is actually hard liquor or not (which is not allowed). I don't want to take the chance that checked bags get sent to naughty room for alcohol check...nor do I want to find my clothes have red wine stains all over them. :eek:

Once again what the OP witnessed in Galveston is very rare for embarkation day security carry on check.