Waited too long to book 3 night specialty dinner package. What now?

LeCricket

Sailing on Equinox 2 June. We wanted the three night specialty dining package to try Murano (one or two nights) and Silk Harvest. All the packages that are left are 6 night and 7 night. We don't want that. Should I book the restaurants now, individually, or hope for a deal that works with the nights we want when we board? We aren't stuck on eating at a certain time. I don't like eating at 10 pm, but we are fairly flexible. If we want a 7 pm dinner, which will most likely book up quickly, and show up an hour early or so, do they do a "walk in" type situation? I don't want to miss out on these restaurants to save a few bucks, but don't want to pay gobs more than I need to.

I’ve always been able to get discounts at the specialty restaurants. I think they all offer a discount the first night; just ask. After that normally there are staff outside the Oceanview Cafe taking reservations. If they don’t offer you a discount just say what you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing on Equinox 2 June. We wanted the three night specialty dining package to try Murano (one or two nights) and Silk Harvest. All the packages that are left are 6 night and 7 night. We don't want that. Should I book the restaurants now, individually, or hope for a deal that works with the nights we want when we board? We aren't stuck on eating at a certain time. I don't like eating at 10 pm, but we are fairly flexible. If we want a 7 pm dinner, which will most likely book up quickly, and show up an hour early or so, do they do a "walk in" type situation? I don't want to miss out on these restaurants to save a few bucks, but don't want to pay gobs more than I need to.

You can always get a discounted meal once on board. They are begging you to try them and offer discounts. Murano is great. Silk harvest wasn’t a favorite. Go for Murano twice or Tuscan grill.

Rita

For us,Silk was great and loved it.

As to what to do? Wait to get on board and they will offer various discontent and you can pick and choose what you wish and time.

Den

The dining packages are gaining popularity- guaranteed discount. We have found discounts on board are fewer and less than they were even a year ago.

If we want to do specialty restaurants we book a package early or become very flexible on day & time and figure if we can get 20% off at Murano and a time not later than 9 we did ok. The TA/TP cruises seem to have fewer people purchasing the dining packages, so still some deals to be had on those.

On our Solstice cruise a few weeks ago I don't recall them offering discounts but we got them every time we asked. We got $35 at Murano two different nights and $30 at Tuscan. And 30% off at Sushi on 5 twice.

On our November 2017 eclipse cruise, the ONLY discounts offered were first night, and q-sine. The latter was offered every day, and the restaurant was nearly empty whenever we walked by.

The sailing was either nearly sold out or totally sold out.

This is the second of three celebrity cruises where discounts were few and far between. The exception was a repositioning cruise which was far from sold out. (We and our traveling companions were upgraded from inside to balconies on that one. And, no, we are FAR from Elite.)

The only cruise we've been on that didn't offer discounts was Eclipse. There was a discount in Murano the first night only and Qsine was being offered at a discount throughout the trip outside of the OVC. I couldn't tell you about Tuscan since we're not fans.

On our November 2017 eclipse cruise, the ONLY discounts offered were first night, and q-sine. The latter was offered every day, and the restaurant was nearly empty whenever we walked by.

The sailing was either nearly sold out or totally sold out.

This is the second of three celebrity cruises where discounts were few and far between. The exception was a repositioning cruise which was far from sold out. (We and our traveling companions were upgraded from inside to balconies on that one. And, no, we are FAR from Elite.)

We found this to be the case on one recent cruise as well. Even though the restaurants were clearly not full (we eat in Blu so walk by the specialties), they refused to offer discounts. In turn, we refused to eat there.

On all our other cruises, we have been able to get discounts ranging from 30-50% (the latter on 14/15 night cruises). One thing you will NOT likely be able to get is a good discount at 7:00 pm. That is prime time, they know it is prime time, and they are not inclined to discount it a lot if any. If you are more flexible you should be able to get discounts onboard. Also, we have had success booking our own 'package' by working with one of the maitre d's. We did this a few years ago when Sushi on Five was considered a specialty restaurant and was required as one of the mandatory nights on the packages (that is no longer the case). We did not want to eat there, so did not want to book an official package. So he worked with us to create our own 'package' of 3 nights at 30% off.

If you dine in Blu or Luminae and want a specialty reservation, I suggest working with your maitre d'. They can negotiate deals/times for you.

We were on Equinox in April and although the 3 and 4 night dining packages had not been available to purchase online months prior, we had no problem getting a 4 night package when we boarded the ship. As suggested by many, as soon as you board the ship visit one of the specialty restaurants and book your nights. Even though we had boarded by noon and went to book our dining right away, the only restaurant available for early dining on the last night of the cruise was Silk Harvest.

I’ve always been able to get discounts at the specialty restaurants. I think they all offer a discount the first night; just ask. After that normally there are staff outside the Oceanview Cafe taking reservations. If they don’t offer you a discount just say what you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for that tip!

On our Solstice cruise a few weeks ago I don't recall them offering discounts but we got them every time we asked. We got $35 at Murano two different nights and $30 at Tuscan. And 30% off at Sushi on 5 twice.

Did you ask for the discount at the restaurant when you were making the reservation?

Vickie

Was on the Equinox in early April and did not make any specialty dining reservations in advance of the trip nor did we purchase a package. We ate at Murano, Tuscan Grill and Silk Harvest. I think you will be ok with just making the reservation as you go....especially if you're not fixated on eating at a certain time. My trip was over Spring Break and ship was booked full...we still didn't have a problem.

Enjoy your vacation!

Christina

Did you ask for the discount at the restaurant when you were making the reservation?

Vickie

We always ask for a discount. We normally book at the kiosk outside the buffet. We typically ask for a 2 for one deal and "negotiate" from there. We typically get 30-40% off. I actually don't recall us ever not getting some kind of discount when we ask. We've done about 9 cruises and eat in specialties at least twice, so in 20+ times our success rate is about 100%. Murano is typically stingier with the discounts than the other places. We've gotten 2 for 1 at Tuscan a few times as well as Qsine, and Silk Harvest.

We always ask for a discount. We normally book at the kiosk outside the buffet. We typically ask for a 2 for one deal and "negotiate" from there. We typically get 30-40% off. I actually don't recall us ever not getting some kind of discount when we ask. We've done about 9 cruises and eat in specialties at least twice, so in 20+ times our success rate is about 100%. Murano is typically stingier with the discounts than the other places. We've gotten 2 for 1 at Tuscan a few times as well as Qsine, and Silk Harvest.

That’s great, thanks for the tip! Do you typically have to eat early or really late to get the discount or can you a reservation between 7-8 PM?

Vickie

That’s great, thanks for the tip! Do you typically have to eat early or really late to get the discount or can you a reservation between 7-8 PM? Vickie

We are not all that particular usually. We typically eat late, around 8 but we've gone as early as 6. Same with the day, we don't usually care so it's a lot easier for us to get a deal. If one day is busy they may not offer a discount that day so we try for the next day. If you must have a particular time and day then you might be better off just booking pre-cruise. But if your flexible like us your chances of getting a discount should be good. Bargain hard!

We are not all that particular usually. We typically eat late, around 8 but we've gone as early as 6. Same with the day, we don't usually care so it's a lot easier for us to get a deal. If one day is busy they may not offer a discount that day so we try for the next day. If you must have a particular time and day then you might be better off just booking pre-cruise. But if your flexible like us your chances of getting a discount should be good. Bargain hard!

We usually don’t care for the 5:30 dinners, but most of the restaurants have gone to 6 PM for their 1st seatings. We don’t mind 8 or 8:30 PM, as long as were done by 9:30 we are happy.

Vickie