Drinking straws

tiger-91

...The OP didn't make this post to give others a heads up. The entire purpose of this post is to complain and figure out how he can keep complaining...

Actually, if you'd read my post again, I did think this is news. Two days ago I could get a straw and suddenly I was told no way. I came to cruisecritic to research if this was truly a company policy or if I misunderstood the bartender. I found nothing after multiple searches for drinking straws, plastic straws, or just straw, which brought up results, but nothing relevant. (Must be my Tapatalk app failing me.)

Now that I have confirmation, I won't complain to anyone until the post Cruise survey. I agree it's corporate's fault and nobody's on the ship.

I hope that clears up why I posted while on a trip.

Our local news station did a report on this a couple of months ago. The plastic that drinking straws arr made of is 100% recyclable, however they are the bane of the recycle machinery used as the fall into the mechanisms causing the machines to be shutdown and manually cleaned out. The downtime and human effort required to clean the machines make it financially unfeasible to recycle, thus the recyclers are pushing for the straw bans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Man, this sucks if you are prone to cold sores........Especially if you drink out of a glass that wasn't clean fully.
Cold sores are caused by a virus you carry, if you're prone to them it's because you already have the virus and it's just flared up again, not because you've used a dirty glass.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

Shipwide, and supposivly all lines. It is a conservation measure, some states and cities will also be banning them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I don’t remember there being lids with straws anywhere. When my kids were little, I always brought appropriate cups with me on vacation and restaurants.

It has been over 10 years since our kids used them so not sure if they are still around, but anytime they'd order milk at a restaurant on NCL they would get it in a plastic cup with lid and a straw.

On the Jewel as well. It is new policy coming from Miami yesterday or today. Straws are not anymore only available on guest request but completely banned. Don’t give the bar staff a hard time about it, the guideline from Miami was pretty strict the only venue still serving plastic straws is Starbucks on the newer ships.

So can you bring your own straws?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our local news station did a report on this a couple of months ago. The plastic that drinking straws arr made of is 100% recyclable, however they are the bane of the recycle machinery used as the fall into the mechanisms causing the machines to be shutdown and manually cleaned out. The downtime and human effort required to clean the machines make it financially unfeasible to recycle, thus the recyclers are pushing for the straw bans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

So the recycling people are putting their profits over the environment. They could have a better machine design.

Man.....brought back memories of straws when I was young...long time ago. They were all paper. And drinking a thick milk shake was a major chore for them. Took skill and technique. The straw would slowly get soggy and collapse at the area where your mouth was on it. This required you to stick the straw further and further into you mouth to access a non collapsed portion of it until it became a race to see if you could finish the shake before the straw was so far into you mouth it choked you. I'd forgotten about the paper straws.

I'm trying to figure out why straws are bad for the environment. If I take a plastic straw and dig a hole, and bury it in the ground, does it poison anyone? I mean, like our cell phone batteries do? Or our computer motherboards that contain dangerous compounds?

So much of environmentalism is symbolic instead of practical and necessary.

I'm trying to figure out why straws are bad for the environment. If I take a plastic straw and dig a hole, and bury it in the ground, does it poison anyone? I mean, like our cell phone batteries do? Or our computer motherboards that contain dangerous compounds?

if you really want to know

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/plastic-straws-ocean-trash-environment/

If you go to youtube and type in "straws sealife" you will get some pretty horrific videos that answer your question.

We were on Disney last week and they seemed to be transitioning. Most drinks had plastic straws but smoothies had the paper ones.

One place we drank at in Miami right after the cruise had gone straw-free but they put the frozen fruity drinks in these really tall skinny glasses that really did make it easier (and easier on the teeth; mine are sensitive) to drink from without the straw.

I am going to bring a supply of straws on board and sell them like crack to the drinkers. Should be able to pay for at least one excursion that way. "Heh kid, the first straw is on me but you got to pay for the rest". By the end of the cruise I will be getting $10 a straw.

Plastic and paper straws can be recycled.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

This is not just a cost cutting it is environmental most bars at home no longer offer them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to bring a supply of straws on board and sell them like crack to the drinkers. Should be able to pay for at least one excursion that way. "Heh kid, the first straw is on me but you got to pay for the rest". By the end of the cruise I will be getting $10 a straw.

LMFAO, that's amazing!! At least some people on these forums have a sense of humor! :')