Special Needs Question

donaldsc

We are doing a cruise on Princess in a a few weeks. In the scheme of the other major issues discussed on CC, this one is not as serious. However, it is serious for my wife. She has a hip issue and the doctor has told her that she has to use a heating pad twice per day to feel comfortable. I know that heating pads are not allowed on ships and I understand why.

What are her options? If she gets a letter from her doctor, will they let her take her pad on board? Do they have legal heating pads on board that she can borrow. Could she use it in the medical clinic twice per day w/o being charged for a medical fee every time?

Any other ideas. I know that I should contact the Princess Special Needs department but I can't find their number.

BTW - I have also posted this question on the Special Needs board but I figured that the question might get answered more quickly if I posted on the Princess board.

Thanks in advance.

DON

I've taken my heating pad w/an automatic shut-off on 2 cruises now, along w/a heavy duty ext. cord. (The pad heats for 20 minutes.) I've packed them in my checked bag amongst my clothes.

I've never heard a word about it from Princess. Lucky? I don't know, but it worked for me.

Good Luck!

I just looked at my special needs e-mail. It says that if I needed anything else, to call 1-800-Princess and ask for the special needs office.

I think the issue might be that if the heating pad has an automatic shut off feature, it will be OK.

I went on a cruise one month prior to my hip replacement and I used the ThermaCare back pads which helped quite a bit. I understand her pain and I hope she still can enjoy the cruise!

Would a microwaveable heating pad be an option?

Is there a place to heat a microwaveable heating pad? It would be a bonus for my mom if there was a place onboard.

I know there are microwaves in the kitchen. DH told one of the servers in the buffet that the coffee from the spigot wasn't hot - barely lukewarm. This was after he'd put his special, flavored creamer in the coffee and took a sip. The server took the coffee into the kitchen and came back a few minutes later with the HOT coffee. Same cup, same creamer, so I know it was reheated in a microwave.

BUT, I can almost guarantee that if you ask if there's a microwave, the answer will be NO. Plus, if they did admit it, they wouldn't put a non-food item in it.