new cruiser! lots of random q's sorry!

I am a new cruiser. Lots of questions I have that aren't on the cruise ships FAQ so here goes:

1. How early can you board the ship and is that your check in time?

2. My kids dad was in jail when we applied for a passport but has gotten out since then. I filed form DS-3053 and provided the paperwork showing he was incarcerated. I just paid to print the forms online from the jail. Just nervous that since he got out after our passport appointment, they will see that and want his consent now so fear of getting denied! I check the status everyday for a week says still being processed. Its been 3 weeks since we applied. If we get denied I know its going to be a waste of money.

3. Formal nights for dinner- how fancy does the dress/clothes have to be?

I have more questions just can't think right now. Thanks!

Is the father going on the cruise? If not, you may need written permission to take the children out of the country.

If he is going, you will need to check with his probation or parole officer as to if he can go at all.

1. Time will be listed on your cruise documents

2. No, he can't do anything. This is a non-worry.

3. What line has true "formal" nights any more? Go to your cruise line's webpage and there will be details about the dress code.

4. Be concerned if you don't have a "permission to travel letter" with a notarized signature from dad.

I am a new cruiser. Lots of questions I have that aren't on the cruise ships FAQ so here goes:

2. My kids dad was in jail when we applied for a passport but has gotten out since then. I filed form DS-3053 and provided the paperwork showing he was incarcerated. I just paid to print the forms online from the jail. Just nervous that since he got out after our passport appointment, they will see that and want his consent now so fear of getting denied! I check the status everyday for a week says still being processed. Its been 3 weeks since we applied. If we get denied I know its going to be a waste of money.

You would get a better response if you posted on the board of the cruise line you are sailing on. Every line is different.

Is the father going on the cruise? If not, you may need written permission to take the children out of the country.

If he is going, you will need to check with his probation or parole officer as to if he can go at all.

No he is not going on the cruise. We haven't been together in 7 years.

1. Actual boarding usually begins around 11:30 on the mass market lines. You can arrive at the terminal to begin checking in around 9:30.

2. Don't worry too much about the passports. Normal processing time is 4 - 6 weeks, and in the past the web site may say processing even after people have received their passports. If you are taking a closed loop cruise. (round trip out of a US port) you don't even need passports, you can sail using birth certificates.

3. Formal nights all depend on the cruise line. For most of the mass market lines, formal night is anything but formal.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you couldn't find information on the cruise line's web FAQ page on how to sneak that 12 pack of beer on board, and then how to hide the empty can so the "maid" won't find them and report you. A real shame that you had to start another thread to ask for the best techniques just because the cruise line won't cooperate by describing how in a FAQ! :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

I'm not sure how his state of incarceration would affect his ability to give consent to issuing the children passports. The form could have been sent to him and he would fill it out and sign with a notary, regardless of whether he was in jail or not. Did you get legal advice that because he was in jail that his right to grant/deny consent was invalidated?

I am going to read the tea leaves about the OP's motives. Getting Passports for your kids is a good thing :). But just having Passports does not necessarily mean that you have the legal right to take your kids out of the country. Technically there should be consent from both parents to take a minor child out of he USA. If only one parent is traveling then there should be a notarized consent from from the other parent (most cruise lines have specific formats for permission). Will you be questioned if taking your children on a cruise without their father? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Three weeks for a new Passport is still within a reasonable processing time period. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Hank

No he is not going on the cruise. We haven't been together in 7 years.

Do you have legal custody of the children?

Do you have legal evidence of this?

If so you shouldn't have a problem.

If not I would consult a lawyer or family court for advice. You wouldn't want to show up and be denied boarding.