Veranda Plus introduction

travelberlin

We certainly won’t be paying for an ‘enhanced’ veranda. As many point out, we already receive most of the ‘perks’ with our loyalty benefits. Also surprised they are going ahead with it despite an overwhelming NO vote from the survey.

Now wondering if we’ll find a juicer in our cabin on our next cruise. There was something about learning how to use one (?) or something similar in the other survey we received. Along with a whole heap of ridiculous (to us) suggestions. Let’s hope that one finished up in the garbage bin.

It’s not the introduction of a new cabin grade which we would never book that’s of any concern. But the possibility that Azamara are going with marketing gurus who want to attract a new type of customer at the expense of existing customers.

Obviously a lot information from surveying existing customers has been ignored by someone who knows better, I’ve seen it before and it never ends well.

If Azamara wants to improve the customer experience my free advise is to forget this crackpot idea and spend the marketing budget on getting customer communications working as currently it’s woeful.

Rant over[emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I notice on a UK travel agent site that there are three types of veranda plus (P1,P2 and P3). The difference in price between these is approx £200 pp for a 14 night cruise and about £500 pp more than a V3 veranda.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

After a bit of hunting I found a U.K. travel agents site with the 2020 cruises up, significantly for us on the 14 day cruise we might be interested in the new P1 grade is just £340pp less than a N2 suite. Not sure what Azamara’s thinking is, as at that difference bearing in mind the total cruise price nothing would bring us to book a P1.

Verandah Plus staterooms are marked as ‘Sold Out’ for every 2020 cruise I have looked at. Does that mean they haven’t yet decided which Verandah staterooms are going to be designated Verandah Plus?

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Yes on every cruise I have checked on the UK site, the Veranda Plus are sold out already. We wouldn’t book one but they must be popular if they are all sold out on Day 1?

More likely yet another Azamara IT glitch.

Not sure I understand all the concerns? I think they are just repackaging some popular add-ons and adding an up charge to a standard Veranda room and calling it plus.

Not sure why they didn’t just create a special package you could add to any room. Maybe marketing thinks they can get more people to pay more for the add-ons and limit it to Veranda rooms? Have not priced the up charge for Veranda plus so not sure it is a savings or not to those that want the upgrades as opposed to paying for them individually.

Do not see why our LCV rewards would be impacted?

I think for first and second time cruisers and guests who haven’t progressed to discoverer yet, it might be a good value. Maybe that’s who they’re targeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think for first and second time cruisers and guests who haven’t progressed to discoverer yet, it might be a good value. Maybe that’s who they’re targeting.

I had a look at the pricing on a couple of cruises and from what I could tell it doesn't represent good value for the extra it costs. You'll get $130 worth of free internet, a couple of free Specialty meals at $60, a free bag of laundry and a bar set up you could buy off the ship and bring it for maybe $50. One of the cruises I looked at, roundtrip Singapore was charging $600 more per couple for the cheapest Plus cabin versus a V3 balcony. And for a balcony cabin which in my opinion is in the least desirable position directly under public areas and possibly the gym. The only immeasurable is the priority embarkation/debarkation which is really of little value on a ship the size of Azamara. You'd be one of the first off and back for the Azamazing Evening, but would get that anyway as a deck 8 balcony regardless. To me it doesn't add up.

Phil

Perhaps the survey and product served its purpose. Maybe they were looking for something that would appeal to new cruisers rather than existing ones. The fact that existing cruisers seemed to say “no way” exactly ticked the boxes they wanted.

Seems to me that most of the worthwhile 'Plus" benefits come as standard on many competitors. I stilll think it is scandalous to pay extra for internet. It is just like using the telephone from a hotel at a ridiculously high rate which used to happen years ago. Viking for example, offer free internet to all, as well as free speciality dining, regardless of cabin grade.

Seems to me that most of the worthwhile 'Plus" benefits come as standard on many competitors. I stilll think it is scandalous to pay extra for internet. It is just like using the telephone from a hotel at a ridiculously high rate which used to happen years ago. Viking for example, offer free internet to all, as well as free speciality dining, regardless of cabin grade.

But you only get wine and beer with meals on Viking, whereas spirits/cocktails & sparkling wine are included on Azamara and are available at all bars at any time.

I guess all cruise companies have pluses and minuses - you pays your money and you takes your choice!

Is that a particular offer they have or did you buy it?

We have our first Viking cruise booked for next February when we booked the offer was £500 off and included gratuities, however the Silver drinks package was thrown into the deal for free to secure the booking. We booked through our usual TA and I took it it wasn’t an unusual tactic by Viking.

Flights to San Juan were included and shown on the invoice at zero value, however when we were given the upgrade cost we found we could book the flights for little more than the upgrade cost. When we went back to Viking they took £500pp off of the cost to remove their flights, so we booked our own flights and saved almost £900. We lost their transfers but I’m sure we can do them for less.

Yes I am discovering they have a very flexible pricing model. Been very revealing getting some pricing from them, particularly as like you I am wanting Business Class fares which they seem able to give me straight off

We have our first Viking cruise booked for next February when we booked the offer was £500 off and included gratuities, however the Silver drinks package was thrown into the deal for free to secure the booking. We booked through our usual TA and I took it it wasn’t an unusual tactic by Viking.

Flights to San Juan were included and shown on the invoice at zero value, however when we were given the upgrade cost we found we could book the flights for little more than the upgrade cost. When we went back to Viking they took £500pp off of the cost to remove their flights, so we booked our own flights and saved almost £900. We lost their transfers but I’m sure we can do them for less.

Do keep in mind that the way Viking does business in the UK is completely different in the US in many regards. I think it might have to do with different regulations in each country and the way they affect the deals offered.

We are in the US and when I speak with Viking passengers from the UK and Australia/NZ it’s almost like we’re dealing with a different company all together. Shipboard experience is the same, but the booking process is completely different.

We all do get free WiFi. [emoji12]

I saw those Veranda Plus cabins when we were getting ready to book (first time on Azamara) and we didn’t really think it was worth the extra. The cabin is still the same.

We will probably get a dining package and the upgraded drinks package because I didn’t see our preferred drinks on the included one. Only thing I haven’t figured out is what to do about the WiFi. It better be lightning fast for those prices.

Thanks - I’ll have to look at Viking.

We have had to buy it when booking in the US, but it’s very reasonable - $20 pp per day. Even if you are paying for drinks individually they are reasonably priced.

Those of us in the US pay gratuities extra at the end of the cruise, where in the UK it’s included in the price, but we get Explorer Society discounts and our ES gifts with each cruise after the first. Often the air deals are different. I don’t think those in the UK have access to Viking Air Plus which allows you to choose your airline and flights.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but I thought that needed clearing up - that Viking UK and Viking US can be very different with regards to booking.