Card & Board Games

speeb

On 5/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, navybankerteacher said:

While "new" game seem to explode on the scene and gain great popularity, few in past decades seem to have much staying power - and many fade away within a couple of years --- Uno and Othello being rare exceptions. Old standbys -,Scrabble and Backgammon seem to go on forever.

Hi

As you mention, games like Scrabble, backgammon, as well as chess and go, will remain with us long after we are gone simply because people who invest the time to excel at these games aren't likely to stop playing as they get older but more likely to help and encourage a next generation.

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We organized a game group on our last transatlantic through the cruise critic roll call. We met at 2:30 at the back of the buffet. It was well attended and a big hit.

We had a very large and active Roll Call for our last cruise (with a lot of sea days in the itinerary).  One of the members contacted the cruise line and arranged for one of the private meeting rooms for all sea days for a couple of hours.  And different people brought different games to play/teach to others.

That way we were assured of having tables available.  It can get dicey on occasion when people take tables in the buffet for playing games, especially if it's a large group.

It's a pity that you're not going to be on our cruise -- we're bringing a bag of board games. We're a family of 5, and it will give us something to do out of our cabins that will be fun for everyone... and hey, maybe someone else will want to join us? 

We're thinking about bringing: 

* Travel Edition of Catan

* Exploding Kittens

* Gimme the Brain

* Love Letter

* Flux

* Various varieties of Munchkin

... and whatever the kids talk me into between now and December. 

As far as classic v. 'new' games, while I have one budding chess wiz, none of my kids have much interest in traditional boardgames. Having grown up on new board games, they feel like a lot of the traditional games are either too easy (Sorry, etc.) or too slow play-style wise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We organized a game group on our last transatlantic through the cruise critic roll call. We met at 2:30 at the back of the buffet. It was well attended and a big hit.

This is very cool.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

This is very cool.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  

Our group would have enjoyed a separate room but NCL told us that they only provided rooms for the first get together. It was obvious that each ship has their own rules. The NCL Jade was the worst ever in that regards to the point of ridiculous.. That is why we just took our games to the buffet.  We were gone before eating times. 

15 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Our group would have enjoyed a separate room but NCL told us that they only provided rooms for the first get together. It was obvious that each ship has their own rules. The NCL Jade was the worst ever in that regards to the point of ridiculous.. That is why we just took our games to the buffet.  We were gone before eating times. 

We were on HAL, I'm not sure how it works with them.  It's possible the same thing - only setting up the room for the first meeting thing - is the same.  I do know someone from the group had to be in that room every day at the time we set up initially, using it, or we'd lose it.

26 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Sounds like it worked out for the best.  Having in an open area probably attracted more folks who would enjoy.  

i have 2 kids and so make a point of playing games lot during a cruise.  So we bring cards, uno, backgammon, dominos. This time i might bring a travel clue.  I like sushi go but my kids prefer Exploding kittens so that might go also.  I have seen people bringing bannanagrams so take whatever you like to play.

We bring lots of games with us. We take them out of the boxes and pack the instructions along with the game in a ziplock bag. We find special places on board the ship where we have a bar, are outside but in the shade, and have a good view. Especially nice if the weather is inclement. We really enjoy!  

We have friends who put a sign on their cabin door saying "Bridge Players Wanted".

They also have stand-up signs they put on tables wherever they are  saying "Party/Fun Bridge Players Wanted" .  

They tell me they sometimes get many replies and other times none.

Guess it doesn't hurt to try.