1st time in a suite. Embarkation night specialty dining question

lives to cruise

Hi,

DH and I are booked on the Caribbean Princess in our first suite. I see that there is free specialty dining on embarkation night but how do you know which restaurant to go to? I know that probably sounds silly but this is our first time in a suite.:D

Also, any other tips or information on suites would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

April was our first time....and I got the major run around from Passenger Services. First I went to the restaurant--no one was there. Then I went to the PS desk where they told me that it was all in the letter in my room. I hadn't seen a letter, so I went back to the room and looked. No letter (found out later that steward had forgotten it along with several other things). Back to PS. They tried to call the restaurant (didn't they get the message that no one was there?) and when no one answered, they told me I could choose between 5 and 7:30pm. in the Crown Grill. We chose 7:30 and all was well when we got there.

Don't even think about the DINE line. They had a message answering that basically said "Call us tomorrow."

The two specialty restaurants on the Caribbean are Crown Grill and Sabatinis' When you board call the dine line and make a reservation at the one you prefer, for as close as you can get to the time you prefer.

We have not encountered a problem reaching the dine line, but if you do, and are on board when the dining room is open for luncheon (noon to 1:30), approach the head waiter in charge of the dining room, who should be able to help you out.

Also, any other tips or information on suites would really be appreciated.

The absolute best benefit I enjoyed when we cruised in a suite in February was the "Suite Breakfast." I'm pretty sure it will be offered in Sabatini's on the Caribbean Princess. You'll find a notification in your suite, It is just so civilized.

The absolute best benefit I enjoyed when we cruised in a suite in February was the "Suite Breakfast." I'm pretty sure it will be offered in Sabatini's on the Caribbean Princess. You'll find a notification in your suite, It is just so civilized.

Agree--Sabatini's breakfast was great.

Funny thing on the Caribbean. I was told, both by PS desk and at the spa, that the "thermal suite assess" included with a suite was one day only and must be used on a port day. Others had reported that they got a "length of cruise" pass from being in a suite. That was the only disappointing thing about suite benefits.

Priority boarding (no big deal if you're Elite)

Priority tendering - how you do it varies by ship, the # of Elites, and the itinerary. Sometimes you can just walk up and get in line. Other times you'll be directed to a "special" area in the waiting room (usually the MDR) and get on the tender earlier than others.

Special goodies in the bathroom - fluffy towels, nicer bathrobes, slippers (?), nice amenities in a pretty gold bag.

I was just on the Caribbean Princess in Feb for a Panama canal cruise. The thermal suite is available to you any day any time they're open. I used the hot beds almost every day. Your mini bar is yours complimentary (double if you're elite). You can trade one mini bar in for wine or coffee cards and keep the other set up or get 4 coffee cards. Print out the suite perks on the Princess site because it states you get ALL the amenities of a club class plus the full suite amenities. They will tell you the 1/2 bottle of red and white wines aren't a full suite amenity so if you show them it states ALL club class PLUS you have it in writing and they will honor their written policy. There is no asterisk on the bottom of the page on the suite amenity list that excludes the 2 half bottles of wine which is present on other offers so it's not an over site.

If you are in a big suite, the Concierge can help you with this. Either way, it is my understanding that the Crown Grille and Sabatini's are reserved for suite guests the first night, so not a lot of demand there. Call the Dine line, or maybe you can just drop in?

If you are in a big suite, the Concierge can help you with this. Either way, it is my understanding that the Crown Grille and Sabatini's are reserved for suite guests the first night, so not a lot of demand there. Call the Dine line, or maybe you can just drop in?

Uh, what concierge? We had a suite on Princess, and there was never any evidence of a concierge. There is a "suite and elite" line at the passenger services desk.

There is a concierge for suite guests on many other lines, but I was certainly never made aware of it on Princess....which makes me think it didn't exist. Disney has a concierge, Celebrity has a butler, etc. But Princess suites cost less than suites on those lines.

I was just on the Caribbean Princess in Feb for a Panama canal cruise. The thermal suite is available to you any day any time they're open. I used the hot beds almost every day.

That's what I expected....and not at all what I was told in April!

I didn't try to get the wine, so can't comment on that.

Uh' date=' what concierge? We had a suite on Princess, and there was never any evidence of a concierge. There is a "suite and elite" line at the passenger services desk.

There is a concierge for suite guests on many other lines, but I was certainly never made aware of it on Princess....which makes me think it didn't exist. Disney has a concierge, Celebrity has a butler, etc. But Princess suites cost less than suites on those lines.[/quote']

Well maybe this is a sketchy service on Princess. I am not a Princess expert, nor do I want to be! We were on the Royal Princess in April and there was a live Concierge and a comfy Concierge Lounge. The Concierge was quite insistent in calling us on the first day to make sure that we had a reservation to dine in a specialty the first night. Might not be available on all Princess ships.

Well maybe this is a sketchy service on Princess. I am not a Princess expert, nor do I want to be! We were on the Royal Princess in April and there was a live Concierge and a comfy Concierge Lounge. The Concierge was quite insistent in calling us on the first day to make sure that we had a reservation to dine in a specialty the first night. Might not be available on all Princess ships.

I think you hit it right there. I believe that the concierge lounge only exists on the Regal and Royal (could be wrong, I've never been on those ships).

We were on the Caribbean Princess (same as OP) and it was our first suite experience. I never saw or heard of a concierge or concierge lounge. There was an "elite/suite" reception each evening with assorted munchies and discounts on some drinks. This was held in Skywalkers, which was closed to the public for that hour or so.

I think you hit it right there. I believe that the concierge lounge only exists on the Regal and Royal (could be wrong' date=' I've never been on those ships).

We were on the Caribbean Princess (same as OP) and it was our first suite experience. I never saw or heard of a concierge or concierge lounge. There was an "elite/suite" reception each evening with assorted munchies and discounts on some drinks. This was held in Skywalkers, which was closed to the public for that hour or so.[/quote']

Correct. I think probably the Majestic and the new one coming also have the Concierge Lounge, but the older ships do not.

The two specialty restaurants on the Caribbean are Crown Grill and Sabatinis' When you board call the dine line and make a reservation at the one you prefer, for as close as you can get to the time you prefer.

We have not encountered a problem reaching the dine line, but if you do, and are on board when the dining room is open for luncheon (noon to 1:30), approach the head waiter in charge of the dining room, who should be able to help you out.

The Caribbean Princess also has two other specialty restaurants---Planks BBQ and Steamers Seafood.

The Caribbean Princess also has two other specialty restaurants---Planks BBQ and Steamers Seafood.

Good call. Also, if one person likes seafood and the other prefers steak or ribs you can eat at either Planks or Steamers and they will let you order from either venue (they kind of just run together) so you can satisfy both parties with your specialty dining. I know that's how my wife and I will work it the next time we sail on CB.

Both of those restaurants are open to anyone sailing on the ship on the first night.

When we were upgraded to our first, and so far only suite experience, on the Ruby last November, what we enjoyed most was having the full dining room menu available on our balcony for formal nights (no dress up) and the club class dining in the dining room (service like it used to be years ago and we swear the food tasted better). Had no problem calling dine line to request our specialty dining for the first night. Called when we embarked. You will love it!

Having the concierge on the Regal was great both times we used them for the dining reservations but on other ships while in a full suite or mini suite, we just do like we always did and went to the restaurants after lunch and someone has usually been around taking reservations.

Agree--Sabatini's breakfast was great.

Funny thing on the Caribbean. I was told' date=' both by PS desk and at the spa, that the "thermal suite assess" included with a suite was one day only and must be used on a port day. Others had reported that they got a "length of cruise" pass from being in a suite. That was the only disappointing thing about suite benefits.[/quote']

On ships that have thermal suites you are entitled to access for the length of the cruise. Print out the suite perks from the Princess website. Typically a kind request is all that is needed. However the printed perks will alleviate any confusion. Not all staff are fully trained in suite perks.

I was just on the Caribbean Princess in Feb for a Panama canal cruise. The thermal suite is available to you any day any time they're open. I used the hot beds almost every day. Your mini bar is yours complimentary (double if you're elite). You can trade one mini bar in for wine or coffee cards and keep the other set up or get 4 coffee cards. Print out the suite perks on the Princess site because it states you get ALL the amenities of a club class plus the full suite amenities. They will tell you the 1/2 bottle of red and white wines aren't a full suite amenity so if you show them it states ALL club class PLUS you have it in writing and they will honor their written policy. There is no asterisk on the bottom of the page on the suite amenity list that excludes the 2 half bottles of wine which is present on other offers so it's not an over site.

I have looked and looked and cannot find the wine anywhere on the full suite printout. Printed a new one today just in case they had changed it. Can you point me to this more specifically??

I do have a matrix from the Canada/New England brochure that has a 3-column comparison chart of the amenities for suites, club class, and minis and the suite column does not have a check mark for the wine offering. The only reference that gives any 'club class' to suites is that suites get club class dining. That is specifically mentioned on the Club Class Minis page. :confused:

Look at the list of perks for the Club Class mini-suites found on the Princess website.

The Princess website written policy/list of perks for the Club Class mini-suites has a footnote at the bottom referring to the wine set-up that states "**For mini-suites only. One time set-up on embarkation day, 1/2 bottle white and 1/2 bottle red. Full suite guests enjoy a complimentary mini-bar set up and do not receive additional half bottles of red and white wine."