Never too old for first cruise

madera1

My DH and I are 4 star mariners with HAL and have sailed on other lines as well. My mother is 96 years young and turns 97 in Aug. and has never been on a cruise. She has been saying she would like to go on a cruise the last few years. My dad died earlier this year and mom needed something to look forward to do so...we have booked cabins on a short 4 night coastal cruise Vancouver to San Diego. My DD will share a room with her grandmother and assist if needed. Mom uses a walker most of the time but has been in pretty good health. Any tips from those of you who have traveled with their older family members would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good for you and good for your mom . I'm sure she'll love it . You mention that she uses a walker . Does she also use a wheelchair ? As you know ships may be flat but those corridors sure are long . Bring a wheelchair even if she doesn't use one at home .

My DH and I are 4 star mariners with HAL and have sailed on other lines as well. My mother is 96 years young and turns 97 in Aug. and has never been on a cruise. She has been saying she would like to go on a cruise the last few years. My dad died earlier this year and mom needed something to look forward to do so...we have booked cabins on a short 4 night coastal cruise Vancouver to San Diego. My DD will share a room with her grandmother and assist if needed. Mom uses a walker most of the time but has been in pretty good health. Any tips from those of you who have traveled with their older family members would be appreciated.

You can arrange a wheelchair at the port to take her through the checkin lines and they will hand her off to a crew member with a wheelchair to get onto the ship. Once on board, you can go to guest services and arrange for a wheelchair to take her off the ship when you disembark. The wheelchairs work well since the gangways are very long and can be difficult with a walker. And if she’s like my mom and doesn’t think she needs a wheelchair, remind her that she’s your excuse to skip to the head of the line! LOL. Enjoy!

You can arrange a wheelchair at the port to take her through the checkin lines and they will hand her off to a crew member with a wheelchair to get onto the ship. Once on board, you can go to guest services and arrange for a wheelchair to take her off the ship when you disembark. The wheelchairs work well since the gangways are very long and can be difficult with a walker. And if she’s like my mom and doesn’t think she needs a wheelchair, remind her that she’s your excuse to skip to the head of the line! LOL. Enjoy!

Great idea.

Our TA arranges for me to have wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation days.

I rent a Rollator from Care Vacations to use on the ship and ashore. You may want to rent a wheelchair for her to use for shore excursions as the ship will not provide assistance for those days.

Our TA arranges for me to have wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation days.

I rent a Rollator from Care Vacations to use on the ship and ashore. You may want to rent a wheelchair for her to use for shore excursions as the ship will not provide assistance for those days.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it’s wonderful that she wants to cruise. I would definitely rent or bring a wheelchair to make her cruise moreenjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. My dad had not wanted to travel due to his health and she has the travel bug. She just came back home from a 10 day trip visiting my brother in Oregon.

I agree with a couple of the previous posters who suggested renting or bringing a mobility assistance device for use on the ship. A rollator, wheelchair, or scooter can make a real difference in the quality of the cruise. It's generally easy to find room for a rollator or wheelchair even in non-accessible cabins. A rollator can be nice in that she can walk when she feels like it, always has a seat handy, and can sit and be pushed if walking really becomes too much.

Even though Mom gets by with a walker at home, she will likely be doing a lot more walking on the ship than she is used to. That builds up, even over the course of a few days, and can make the last day or two miserable knowing you have to walk all the way back to the dining room (or whatever) again.

I agree with a couple of the previous posters who suggested renting or bringing a mobility assistance device for use on the ship. A rollator, wheelchair, or scooter can make a real difference in the quality of the cruise. It's generally easy to find room for a rollator or wheelchair even in non-accessible cabins. A rollator can be nice in that she can walk when she feels like it, always has a seat handy, and can sit and be pushed if walking really becomes too much.

Even though Mom gets by with a walker at home, she will likely be doing a lot more walking on the ship than she is used to. That builds up, even over the course of a few days, and can make the last day or two miserable knowing you have to walk all the way back to the dining room (or whatever) again.

I believe her walker is considered a rollator as it has the padded seat and you can set a brake to keep it steady too. I just call it a walker. She actually can walk without it but is fearful of falling again. I really appreciate all the advice. I was hesitant of bringing her on the trip but it really is giving her something new to look forward to doing.

I took my mother on her first cruise when she was 80, and she enjoyed her last one when she was 92! It changed her life. She loved it. What memories you're going to share with her. Only problem is she's probably going to want to go again...and again...and again!;p;p

I took my mother on her first cruise when she was 80, and she enjoyed her last one when she was 92! It changed her life. She loved it. What memories you're going to share with her. Only problem is she's probably going to want to go again...and again...and again!;p;p

Casamariposa. I am hoping that she enjoys the cruise as much as we love cruising. Sounds like you have some great memories of your cruises with your mother . Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's my mother-in-law. She's 85 and really enjoyed the cruise we took her on recently. She pretty much relaxed and relished the room service. So we're already planning another one. She'll be 86. But we are looking for one where no flights are involved. I think flying is the hardest part, but for her a round-trip to and from the same port, no problem at all.

That's my mother-in-law. She's 85 and really enjoyed the cruise we took her on recently. She pretty much relaxed and relished the room service. So we're already planning another one. She'll be 86. But we are looking for one where no flights are involved. I think flying is the hardest part, but for her a round-trip to and from the same port, no problem at all.

We have some short flights. Fresno to San Francisco and then on to Vancouver. The return is San Diego to Fresno. I have arranged for assistance at the airports. Ancientwanderer it would have been great to have one without flights.

If you're thinking of using her rollator as a wheelchair/transport chair where you'll be pushing her, consider getting her a new one that has footrests or buying a strap device like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Sling-Foot-Black-Handled/dp/B00IH5AJF6?th=1

It can be tough for older folks to keep their feet elevated without support for any length of time.

If you're thinking of using her rollator as a wheelchair/transport chair where you'll be pushing her, consider getting her a new one that has footrests or buying a strap device like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Sling-Foot-Black-Handled/dp/B00IH5AJF6?th=1

It can be tough for older folks to keep their feet elevated without support for any length of time.

Thanks for the suggestion BigWally

Does she have the proper ID for this travel? It's not closed loop so she will need passport, especially if you are flying into Vancouver. If you fly to Seattle and cross by car/bus/train a passport card would do. EM

Does she have the proper ID for this travel? It's not closed loop so she will need passport, especially if you are flying into Vancouver. If you fly to Seattle and cross by car/bus/train a passport card would do. EM

Excellent point concerning the need for a passport!

Her passport had just expired the end of October and she has sent in necessary paperwork for it to be renewed.