tips

Where is the cruise company based?

If I buy a product I have some obligation to figure out where that product was produced?

Does a company that is located in one country, registers its assets in another, then chooses to locate and operate that asset in a third country have any obligation to the norms of the country that it chooses to locate and operate that asset out of?

If I buy a product I have some obligation to figure out where that product was produced?

Does a company that is located in one country, registers its assets in another, then chooses to locate and operate that asset in a third country have any obligation to the norms of the country that it chooses to locate and operate that asset out of?

Which was my point. RCI may claim to be an American Company but they choose to register their ships elsewhere for tax purposes. However, they expect their customers to follow the rules of a country which they themselves are avoiding. If I cruise of a RCI ship registered in Liberia from the UK why do I have to follow the rules from the USA?

Its a mute question as I actually pay the auto gratuities and don't remove them.

Which was my point. RCI may claim to be an American Company but they choose to register their ships elsewhere for tax purposes. However, they expect their customers to follow the rules of a country which they themselves are avoiding. If I cruise of a RCI ship registered in Liberia from the UK why do I have to follow the rules from the USA?

Its a MOOT question as I actually pay the auto gratuities and don't remove them.

I'll make the correction before SRF does.;):D

So if I'm sailing from the UK on a ship registered in Liberia which rule should I follow?

Follow the request (tipping is never a "rule") of the company. If they suggest or add auto-tips, pay them. If they don't, don't. Who cares where the company is based?

Follow the request (tipping is never a "rule") of the company. If they suggest or add auto-tips, pay them. If they don't, don't. Who cares where the company is based?

Sounds just like the dress code suggestions. No wonder both topics create such controversy!

Your response make perfect sense. The suggestion (request) is put out there and is well know at the time you buy the product. It doesn't matter where the company is located.

Because people were making the argument that you had to follow the rules of the country the ship came from and that if you didn't then you shouldn't take that cruise.

Where the ship is registered is a moot point. If the cruise company is American based, and they make it obvious that tipping is expected, well then you know what to do. People who to try to rationalize being mean and cheap are just that - mean and cheap. If the crew have done a good job, and they are doing so with the expectation of being tipped at the end of the cruise, then to me it is wrong to take that away.

By the way, does everyone know that you can block specific posters so that their posts do not show up in the threads? Works like a charm!

By the way, does everyone know that you can block specific posters so that their posts do not show up in the threads? Works like a charm!

What is the point of that? So you don't know what is being said. Great.

So if I'm sailing from the UK on a ship registered in Liberia which rule should I follow?
Depends on who owns the cruise line. They are the ones who set the policy. If you don't like the policy spend your euros on a different line. And respect those policies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Simply this: find a cruise with rules/suggestions that you find comfortable. Quit trying to change the rules/suggestions to fit your particular outlook. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Simply this: find a cruise with rules/suggestions that you find comfortable. Quit trying to change the rules/suggestions to fit your particular outlook. Your blood pressure will thank you.

I have already made it perfectly clear I pay the auto-gratuities. Your attitude is what makes people leave these forums. Its odd as the P+O part of this forum is perfectly pleasant and people can have reasonable conversations. The RCI forum is full of loud mouths.

I have already made it perfectly clear I pay the auto-gratuities. Your attitude is what makes people leave these forums. Its odd as the P+O part of this forum is perfectly pleasant and people can have reasonable conversations. The RCI forum is full of loud mouths.

Simply this: find a forum with that you find comfortable. Quit trying to change things to fit your particular outlook. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Depends on who owns the cruise line. They are the ones who set the policy. If you don't like the policy spend your euros on a different line. And respect those policies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Correct!

And the policy in case of RCI tipping is:

You can remove auto-tips any time - no questions asked! (y)

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

One of funniest things seen on these tip threads/posts is when people say/complain that they are having to spend a large amount of money for the service charge when there are many people staying in the cabin. It is still the same amount per person as the rest of the passengers so the point is mute.

Safe sailing!!

The REAL word if language actually meant anything would be ENsure, not INsure but that would ruin the acronym so people simply ignore the erroneous syntax either out of convenience or ignorance. In the past when I was younger, this subtle distinction bothered me to the point that I would actually argue it with people. These days, not so much. LOL

Ensure = to make certain or to guarantee something occurs

Insure = to issue an insurance policy

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/ensure-or-insure

ndabunka,

I assume the above grammar mistake jumped out at you as well! :');p

We have our gratuities removed, not because we are cheap, but because we want them to go to those who have worked for them. Royal states "

The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams. ." So who is that, The Captain, The chairman of the Board? We simply leave cash tips for those who have earned them.

We have our gratuities removed, not because we are cheap, but because we want them to go to those who have worked for them. Royal states "

The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams. ." So who is that, The Captain, The chairman of the Board? We simply leave cash tips for those who have earned them.

That's as good an excuse as any. I suppose you take time to search out those who do you laundry (sheets and towels, etc.) and give them the appropriate amounts. And, I'm sure you tip those who serve you in the Lido too.

Where the ship is registered is a moot point. If the cruise company is American based, and they make it obvious that tipping is expected, well then you know what to do. People who to try to rationalize being mean and cheap are just that - mean and cheap. If the crew have done a good job, and they are doing so with the expectation of being tipped at the end of the cruise, then to me it is wrong to take that away.

The not so moot point that most are skipping over is that there are a large number of crew working behind the scenes who do not receive a fair wage, who rely on auto gratuities and never have the opportunity to impress a passenger to enhance their take home pay! This is ridiculous!

It is not mean or cheap to remove tips from those who have the opportunity to provide excellent service but don't. At the same time, it is not fair to those behind the sceners that their "bonus" was taken away because someone up front didn't do their job well.

Scrap the system of auto gratuities, increase the base wages of behind the scenes staff even if that means increasing cruise fares and allow passengers to decide how best to allocate their tips to those they interact with!

Cheers

The not so moot point that most are skipping over is that there are a large number of crew working behind the scenes who do not receive a fair wage, who rely on auto gratuities and never have the opportunity to impress a passenger to enhance their take home pay! This is ridiculous!

I'm curious...how do you know they rely on the auto gratuities? And how do you know that their wage isn't fair?