tips

if tipping is added to your bill why are we paying a 18%service charge for everything extra. some of these things don't even require a service. i resent paying that for someone to hand me a bottle of water. and before someone says I'm cheap think about it.

if tipping is added to your bill why are we paying a 18%service charge for everything extra. some of these things don't even require a service. i resent paying that for someone to hand me a bottle of water. and before someone says I'm cheap think about it.

So, you don't like tipping the Bionic Bar robot arm?

I agree. I've traveled extensively and always do my best to adapt to the local culture and customs, even if it means going out of my comfort zone (which is often).

Exactly! "When in Rome"

I honestly dont see how it is anyones business what someone does or doesnt do for tips. Tips are personal and none of my business (and none of yours). Its a transaction between that person and the cruiseline (stateroom attendant/wait staff etc)

You have zero say in what someone else does or doesnt do...your life will be much happier if you move on and stay in your swim lane.

I honestly dont see how it is anyones business what someone does or doesnt do for tips. Tips are personal and none of my business (and none of yours). Its a transaction between that person and the cruiseline (stateroom attendant/wait staff etc)

You have zero say in what someone else does or doesnt do...your life will be much happier if you move on and stay in your swim lane.

Really? I always thought a tip was between the person giving it and the person receiving it.

Everybody can distribute their money the way they want......the tipping system by design bets on people overpaying and takes the risk of some not tipping at all!

Have you ever posted anything positive?

So you don't agree with someones opinion makes their post negative?

It is always interesting to hear what people say about tips. When we first started crusing, only 11 years ago, we had no idea about getting a final bill and seeing what was charged to the account. Now we check the bill on the last day and adjust the charges according to who and what was used. If we did not go the MDR we removed those charges and added them to a venue we used. We have always tipped the cabin steward and any additional staff that we had contact with additionally. We have not yet used a concierge so we do not tip them but we certainly tip the genie. I know the cruise line pays their employees and they probably do not get what they deserve but I do not feel we need to tip someone we had no contact with. That said, I am sure there are some who would completely disagree with how we do things, so I guess we all do what we feel is right for us.

You make no sense at all. While gratuities on beverages and other individually purchased items may be (and have been for quite some time) 18%, wherever do you get the idea that daily tips are charged at 18% or any percentage for that matter? Everyone pays a different amount for their cruise (suites excepted), yet you say they are each being charged the same percentage? Please tell me how that is possible? Where do you come up with such nonsense?

On thes boards everyone is entitled to an opinion, even you.

In a way, I was trying to add a brief amount of humor & perhaps should have added emojis. When is "enough is enough"? I'd personally much rather simply give the cash to the individuals but have acquiesced to this auto-tipping system if for nothing more than conforming to acceptable norms. If a server stands out, we have tipped in excess like $100 on a $40 lunch bill just because.

Although not our norm, we are in a suite this cruise just as we were on our last cruise. Even though we didn't use the butler or concierge, we still tipped additional $s. We both use to work in restaurants which high school @ college so we understand and generally tip 20% because we can afford to these days and those getting the tips often recognize this.

The cruise lines have differed expenses to the cruising public via these auto-tipping systems but after a certain point, they can come across as excessive even if not actually 18% of the cost of the cruise itself ;p

Edited by ndabunka

Yeah now the pompom-crowd gets personal.....

If you do not like the oppinion - try to destroy the person on a personal level.

Personal attacs are all these people are capable off!:rolleyes:

So despicable!:(

You recently said that anyone who posts that they received hot food on RCI was a liar (myself included) so I have a zero sympathy for you complaining about personal attacks!

cruise line should just put the tip in the ticket price and if you want to give more do it

That’s exactly how it works in Australia. The standard gratuity has been rolled into our fare as a service charge and cannot be removed. People are free to give additional to anyone they choose, or give nothing further.

Edited by BekkaW