Critically ill family

I have some family members booked for a cruise later this year. Unfortunately one of those people is very ill. While our family is very hopeful the doctors are not. This person has already been in the hospital for close to three months. They are booked with a nonrefundable deposit and have no travel insurance. Right now we are trying to decide if we should cancel the cruise and lose some money or wait and possibly lose it all. They actaully have two cruises booked one in sixish months (paid off) and one that the ill person was going to surprise their spouse with in a couple of years (deposit only). Last night I was asked about possibly canceling the cruise. I do not want them to cancel because I feel like it is giving up hope. I do not think I can give my family objective advice on this.

For the one with just a deposit, there is no benefit to cancelling early. So I would wait until near final payment date.

For the one paid for, you could substitute someone for the ill relative, and everyone else could go.

Otherwise, you have to decide to cancel early and get the largest refund, or to wait and possibly lose the entire fare.

We cannot make that decision for you.

Personally, I would cancel, and if the family member recovers, book another cruise.

For the one with just a deposit, there is no benefit to cancelling early. So I would wait until near final payment date.

For the one paid for, you could substitute someone for the ill relative, and everyone else could go.

Otherwise, you have to decide to cancel early and get the largest refund, or to wait and possibly lose the entire fare.

We cannot make that decision for you.

Personally, I would cancel, and if the family member recovers, book another cruise.

They are still before final payment and can get a refund.

We are going on a cruise in July and we had booked my MIL in a cabin for her 70th bday. Unfortunately she became ill and has been in and out of hospital's. She is undergoing testing but has not been diagnosed yet. We had purchased trip insurance on her fare before this happened. Her doctor recently advised that she is not able to go on the cruise and that it will be too risky. We had been wondering if it was a good idea that she go but the doctor made the decision for us. It's not an easy one to make. Making the decision is difficult but does not mean they are giving up hope. It is a risky situation and if the person gets ill onboard, there are evacuations to consider which can be costly without trip insurance. I would cancel and lose the deposit but remind your family member of the future cruise and to fight to get better for that one. Good luck!!

They would only actually lose $100/person of the deposit. Both cruises are before the final payment date. The one that is paid in full they will get everything refunded less the deposit. The deposit will be refunded on both cruises less the $100/person as a credit towards another cruise.

They would only actually lose $100/person of the deposit. Both cruises are before the final payment date. The one that is paid in full they will get everything refunded less the deposit. The deposit will be refunded on both cruises less the $100/person as a credit towards another cruise.

Correct, but the amount exceeding the deposit is credited as a FCC in the name of the passenger. Not sure what the ill relative would do with a FCC.

Not sure this would work but perhaps they should consider swapping out the ill passenger for another relative. If they ill passenger recovers, then perhaps they could swap back. Or, the other relative would at least have the FCC less the $100.

Edit: they can swap out the ill passenger without losing the deposit. See this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2640949

Correct, but the amount exceeding the deposit is credited as a FCC in the name of the passenger. Not sure what the ill relative would do with a FCC.

Not sure this would work but perhaps they should consider swapping out the ill passenger for another relative. If they ill passenger recovers, then perhaps they could swap back. Or, the other relative would at least have the FCC less the $100.

Edit: they can swap out the ill passenger without losing the deposit. See this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2640949

On the cruise that is fully paid, being it's before the final payment date, they will get a refund to their credit card for everything but the deposit. The deposit amount would have $100/person that is not refunded and the balance of the deposit will be applied to the FFC.

If they paid $1000 per person for the cruise, and there was an original deposit of $250/person, they would get a refund of $750 and a FCC for $150. I agree they should change the name on the reservation, so that someone else could use the FCC.

The passengers name can be changed up until 3 days prior to the cruise, as long as 1 original name stays on the booking. As stated here, you have until 90 days prior to decide and not make a difference from not until then. Change the name NOW to someone who could use the FCC later, then if a miracle happens, you can change it back.