Electronic coffee cards...now on Grand

tcdcruiser

Are they allowing people to use unused punches on old cards? The new terms on the website says ‘yes’ but getting firsthand info is always best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the card keeps track - just like the PBP

no more free rides for brewed coffee on future cruises - no more carrying over 'punches' - use it or lose it

what discount?

Can you use the card to get coffee for another person? I have always shared a card with DH.

Can you use the card to get coffee for another person? I have always shared a card with DH.

Officially, the card will be allocated to one person or the other. You are not supposed to share. Reality--if you get a cup of coffee, they don't know who drinks it. This is not a change.

The stickier problem comes with the specialty coffees (the ones like Starbucks). For those, you have 15 punches and can give them to anyone you wish. Technically though, another person isn't supposed to use your cruise card.

Do you know how the old, still valid paper cards are being handled?

Edited by moki'smommy

moki you posted 'technically' twice - are you stating it's OK to share the coffee package?

how is that different than sharing the PBP?

No, I am not saying that it is OK to share the coffee or tea on the coffee card. I was trying to tip toe around calling out this lady for sharing her card for the brewed coffee. That would only irritate the poster and cause a bunch of flames.

MY understanding is that the brewed coffee, premium tea, and hot chocolate is supposed to be for one person on the cruise that the card was purchased on. The specialty drinks, in the past, could be used by anyone on that cruise or a future cruise.

There is a part of this electronic thing that really worries me. My daughter is mobility impaired. It is far easier for me to get her a soda on her soda and more package than to have her put on her braces in order to go to a bar. Princess has never had a problem with this. We are not sharing--in fact I cannot have the carbonation for a medical reason. I am being the go-fer. But if they have gone to need to swipe the cruise card to use a "coffee" card, swiping for the "soda and more" can't be far behind. And at that point, will I be unable to use her card to get a soda for her? On some lines, the security photo can be seen any time the card is swiped, so they would clearly know that I am not the card holder.

Ok let me ask this. I prepay for everything I want before we sail. All purchases are in my name. SO, does that mean, the coffee card will go on MY sail card, and I have to make all the purchases?

Not at all--as above, you designate who the package is for and it is added to that person's card. This is the same as for the soda and more package. I'm guessing the PBP works the same way (you designate at time of purchase), but I have no personal experience with that package.

To confirm....

Will they honor punches on paper cards that are blank and have no exp. date???

We have two that we were going to use on the cruise we had to cancel earlier this year.

We have the Beverage Package on our upcoming cruise.

I am hoping that we can pass these two cards along to our fellow passengers.

Not at all--as above' date=' you designate who the card is for. This is the same as for the soda and more package. I'm guessing the PBP works the same way (you designate at time of purchase), but I have no personal experience with that package.[/quote']

Thanks, I have to go back and check, I don't remember whose name I put it under:o,I bought it so long ago. So, I would have to call Princess to have the name changed if need be?

All this talk about the Coffee Card, and getting brewed coffee with it. Does this mean that coffee is not included on Princess? This will be my first Princess Cruise, and I am just wondering what type of coffee they serve without the coffee card, and how much is the coffee card? It is not on my Cruise Personalizer as an option like the other beverage packages.

Thanks, I have to go back and check, I don't remember whose name I put it under:o,I bought it so long ago. So, I would have to call Princess to have the name changed if need be?

I'm in the same position I bought a coffee card in my name but it is for my husband.

All this talk about the Coffee Card, and getting brewed coffee with it. Does this mean that coffee is not included on Princess? This will be my first Princess Cruise, and I am just wondering what type of coffee they serve without the coffee card, and how much is the coffee card? It is not on my Cruise Personalizer as an option like the other beverage packages.

On most Princess ships, the included coffee is made from a concentrate, sometimes called a syrup. It's real coffee, but it's not freshly brewed. On Regal and Royal, they do have normal brewed coffee included in the fare.

The coffee card can be used for unlimited amounts of freshly brewed coffee, Mighty Leaf tea*, and hot chocolate on the cruise where you buy it.

The coffee card can also be used for 15 specialty coffee drinks, such as latte, mocha, cappuccino, macchiato, iced blended coffee drinks, etc.

It costs USD $35.65.

* Other tea brands, such as Bigelow, are available without a card.

buying a coffee package for a specific person is very new, right?

before when you bought a coffee "card" did you designate who that card was for ?

never bought a coffee card before...

To me this is a significant change to the coffee card.

Before you bought the card for 15 purchases and also would receive "free" coffee from the IC during the cruise that you purchased the card on.

Now it sounds like they are electronically making one person being the sole purchaser of the specialty coffee. That makes one person (if you only purchase one card) responsible to order the drinks. In the past, we have used the card jointly.

It sounds like the rules have changed that only one person can use the "coffee card" that is associated to the account. You bought 15 purchases and it really should not matter who consumes it. It is not the same as the other beverage packages.

Not sure I like this change in the rules.

On most Princess ships the free coffee is made from syrup. Some hate it. Some say it's fine. The truth is that it can vary. I had a good cup of coffee at lunch one day but when I got a refill it was like used motor oil. For the most part I don't have a problem with the free coffee. We always got a coffee card so my wife could have fancy coffee drinks. I would occasionally use a punch as well but mostly I just got the fresh-brewed coffee from time to time. I bought the card and shared the punches with my wife. It worked out well. Sometimes we each had a card as we hadn't finished the punches on one but bought another one anyway. On our last two cruises we had the beverage package as a perk so last October i gave away my two remaining cards to a table mate. They both had the majority of the punches left and she enjoyed using them up. I guess we will just have to figure this out before our next cruise but it's not until November so the system should be reasonably worked out by then.

That's probably the easiest way. Who it was purchase for will show up in the personalizer.

Princess responded to me on their Facebook page saying you can buy as many specialty coffees as you wish (up to the 15) with the new package system so there’s no worries about sharing that way. Phew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk