Please help me select a NCL Mediterranean Itinerary

blueslily

Dubrovnik,Croatia is a wonderful port. It’s in the Adriatic Sea as well as Kotor. Both are medieval walled cities. Don’t forget that with port intensive cruises, a couple of low key ports are good for your stamina. I enjoyed both ports very much.

The only reason I can think of them having bad reviews is non Europeans wanting more Italy on a cruise or the perception that certain nations in that area are poor (false).

Not really fair. People like/dislike ports for various reasons. I happen to not be as interested in ports that don't have strong connections to (and ruins from) classical history. Kotor does have a stunning sail in, it's true, but the town itself is -- meh. To me. Dubrovnik is a nice walled medieval city and a bit of a one-trick pony. I just recently stopped there for the third time on a Med cruise -- only reason I got off the ship was to mail a letter.

I feel these a nice ports for a second or third Med trip. But to me they lack the star value of some other ports that have nice scenery AND more interesting history and sites to visit.

Not really fair. People like/dislike ports for various reasons. I happen to not be as interested in ports that don't have strong connections to (and ruins from) classical history. Kotor does have a stunning sail in, it's true, but the town itself is -- meh. To me. Dubrovnik is a nice walled medieval city and a bit of a one-trick pony. I just recently stopped there for the third time on a Med cruise -- only reason I got off the ship was to mail a letter.

I feel these a nice ports for a second or third Med trip. But to me they lack the star value of some other ports that have nice scenery AND more interesting history and sites to visit.

As I said...the only reasons I can see.

I personally think that Med routes are way too Italy focussed and this makes certain tourists under appreciate the Eastern ports and others. I would love a non-Italian Med cruise route to be honest.

Kotor is situated in a rather interesting spot with a lot of spots and historical sites in and around the water as Kotor is the bay rather than just what is in the walls. Riding a jeep up and around the terrain (or hike of course) and the walled town itself of course. The bay has many hidden gems when travelling by a small boat.

Dubrovnik is more of a whole stable than a one trick pony when you look deeper. Even though the city itself is fabulous of course. The area has the fortress, the host of things at Lokrum and the mountainous terrain around the bay and there's also the easy proximity of travelling across the border to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I am a huge fan of coastal Eastern Europe (maybe my Albanian colleague has influenced me) and its charm and edge far surpasses the crowded sights of various Italian and French stops. The history may not be common knowledge but it is just as interesting...possibly even more so. My husband presents a rather popular Roman podcast and is also thrilled by these ports.

Croatia as a whole is very very popular with us Europeans at the moment which is both good and bad for when I want to go back.

I personally think that Med routes are way too Italy focussed and this makes certain tourists under appreciate the Eastern ports and others. I would love a non-Italian Med cruise route to be honest.

I am a huge fan of coastal Eastern Europe (maybe my Albanian colleague has influenced me) and its charm and edge far surpasses the crowded sights of various Italian and French stops. The history may not be common knowledge but it is just as interesting...possibly even more so. My husband presents a rather popular Roman podcast and is also thrilled by these ports.

Croatia as a whole is very very popular with us Europeans at the moment which is both good and bad for when I want to go back.

Don't get me wrong, I like Croatia -- but Split, Pula, Zadar more so than Dubrovnik. I searched mightily for something Roman near enough to Dubrovnik to visit on a one-day port stop this time around -- there is nothing. :(

I also enjoy Eastern-focused itineraries but it is a bit difficult putting those together at the moment with the major lines avoiding Turkey (a mainstay of Eastern itineraries).

Currently considering a land trip to Albania and Macedonia last year -- have already visited Sarande (Butrint) twice.

I would choose option 1. Kotor is stunning and the old town is charming. It was my favourite port on the cruise we did, and Dubrovnik is also gorgeous.

If you want to start in Paris (which we did) why not use the train to get down to Barcelona. Check Seat61.com for more info. You can get very good seniors rates and it's far less hassle than flying between the two cities. It is a six hour trip - we left Paris around 10am, which meant we had a leisurely start to the day. We really enjoyed the train trip, saw some beautiful scenery along the way, and were able to buy drinks and lunch onboard. We arrived in Barcelona around 4pm, got a taxi to our hotel, unpacked what we needed, and went out for the evening.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Option 1: NCL Star 12 Days May 2018 - Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sea Day, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Argosteli, Kotor, Dubeovnik, Venice (yes, this is not a round trip cruise. It ends in Venice which I like. That gives us another place to explore.) **Double the cost of Option 2 which I do not like.

Option 2: NCL Jade 11 days May 2018 (or also Sept/Oct) - Rome, At Sea, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Crete, Malta, Sicily, Naples, Florence, Rome (I like that Rhodes and Crete are included. Not as thrilled about a round trip out of Rome. This means will need flight to Barcelona before or after.) ***Half the price of Option 1.

Thanks so much! :)

Hello al,

I am back. Life happens so I had thought that I wasnt going to be able to take this cruise, but looks like it is back on. Woohoo!

So, I am choosing Itinerary # 2 above. But, I need help choosing between two date options please.

1. Nov 1st departs Rome for 10 days

2. April 7 departs Rome for 11 days

Same itinerary except #2 includes a stop in Florence.

The April departure is approx $500 more, but the price might drop closer to departure date. Option 1 has dropped in price so I will just check for price drops for option 2 as dates get closer.

Which would you suggest based on the dates?

Thanks

Hello al,

I am back. Life happens so I had thought that I wasnt going to be able to take this cruise, but looks like it is back on. Woohoo!

So, I am choosing Itinerary # 2 above. But, I need help choosing between two date options please.

The April departure is approx $500 more, but the price might drop closer to departure date. Option 1 has dropped in price so I will just check for price drops for option 2 as dates get closer.

Thanks

It will be warmer in April. I would do that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

April also gives you Florence.

Florence makes that cruise more worthwhile. Be advised though that Florence is not a port; just like Rome you will have to get there from the port. Your options are to take the train, take a private excursion, or take a ship excursion.

Surprisingly there's not THAT much difference in temperatures between early April and early November, but in April you'll have more daylight and slightly less chance of rain. The seas are actually slightly warmer in November (due to the summer warming) but it's not likely that you'll be visiting beaches at that time of year anyway....

I've done the Med in both months and have to say that I've experienced some beautiful weather in April in particular. Things seem fresher. And of course, I love Florence.

That said, if the extra $500 is really a strain on your budget, pick the 10-day cruise and spend a bit extra on excursions/tours/experiences. ;)

Hello al,

Thanks

I’ve cruised the Mediterranean mostly in the spring and fall and prefer the fall so I would choose November. I would rather leave the east coast weather for a holiday in November than in April. Valletta is one of my favorite ports of call. I would save the $500 as Florence is a long ways from Livorno. That can buy you a few extra days in Rome. There’s more daylight in April but you’ll be back on the ship by dusk on most days. The November cruise is starting to sell out some of its categories so don’t wait too long if you want the alcohol package as a perk. If you’re not fussy about the cabin or alcohol you may get a sail away cabin dirt cheap and buy a dining package and still save more.

Edited by lamchops

Thanks everyone. While I like Florence a lot, especially the beautiful church, I am feeling so giddy about this cruise that I doubt that I can keep myself in my seat until in April sailing. Since I will be cruising solo, I will be looking around for the best deal at this time and will probably book before the weekend is over. But I will keep watching for Price drops and call Norwegian to request an onboard credit if or when the price drops again. I have also been looking into airfare which is also holding steady. And Monday morning I will go to work and request time off. I am ready to go! Now I just need to check to see if they're the Roll Call and research some shore excursions. Woohoo!

I'm still open to feedback, so keep it coming. I love these forums.